Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sound way off from picture

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scotte992

scotte992

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

I bought a JVC LED 3D 55 inch tv today. I hooked up my Pioneer receiver (which is older and doesnt have hdmi) via optical cable to my Directv HR24. Why is the sound so far off from the picture? Also if i turn the tv speakers on, the home theater is way off from that also. Is it because of the optical cable? or do i need to upgrade my receiver? I have hdmi going from the HR24 to the tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 706 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

I bought a JVC LED 3D 55 inch tv today. I hooked up my Pioneer receiver (which is older and doesnt have hdmi) via optical cable to my Directv HR24. Why is the sound so far off from the picture? Also if i turn the tv speakers on, the home theater is way off from that also. Is it because of the optical cable? or do i need to upgrade my receiver? I have hdmi going from the HR24 to the tv.

I had a similar issue when I got my new TV recently....I think the HDMI is just a tad faster than the optical output on the HR24....what I did and maybe you could do, is run the HDMI to the TV, then I ran the optical cable from the TV to my older, non-HDMI receiver and no delay! That should do it, if your TV has an optical output :) Hope this helps!

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

Not sure, but it shouldn't be doing that. I've been using HDMI to TV and optical to various receivers for years and never had that issue.

I had a similar issue when I got my new TV recently....I think the HDMI is just a tad faster than the optical output on the HR24....what I did and maybe you could do, is run the HDMI to the TV, then I ran the optical cable from the TV to my older, non-HDMI receiver and no delay! That should do it, if your TV has an optical output :) Hope this helps!

I certainly wouldn't recommend that as the vast majority of TV's will only output stereo via the optical out and you'll lose DD.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#4 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 706 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

I certainly wouldn't recommend that as the vast majority of TV's will only output stereo via the optical out and you'll lose DD.

Yeah, I made sure my TV passed everything through before I kept it that way, but it might be worth a try for the OP :D

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

Good deal Chevy.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   scotte992

scotte992

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

I had hdmi from my HR24 to the tv then optical from my HR24 to my pioneer home theater receiver. Taking chevyguy's advice, i unhooked the optical cable from the HR24 and hooked it to the tv optical out then to the home theater receiver and that fixed the problem. So thanks. Ill have to change it again though because i decided to upgrade the home theater receiver from the old pioneer to a new sony. With that i can run just hdmi. Also ordered the genie which they are coming to install Sunday. I figured since i upgraded my TV i might as well upgrade it all.My Xmas shopping from me to me is done! haha..Thanks for the quick responses!

#7 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Genie does not have optical output at all so you will have to make some more changes. It does have a digital coax audio output.

#8 OFFLINE   scotte992

scotte992

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Genie does not have optical output at all so you will have to make some more changes. It does have a digital coax audio output.

Yeah but the new home theater receiver im getting has hdmi inputs which the one i have now doesnt. So i wont have to use optical.

#9 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

Perfect, you will be all set then!

#10 OFFLINE   scotte992

scotte992

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered