Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will this set me up for WHDVR?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

I’m scheduled for an upgrade to a Genie HR34. I’m keeping the HR21-700 already in our house. I’m considering WHDVR to connect the HR34 and HR21but after speaking to the CSA, I’m a bit confused.

Both my current DVR’s (which includes the one the Genie is replacing) are connected to the Internet and my home network via CAT5.

My DTV order says what will be included (among other things) are:
-VCONWifiDeca
-Cinema Connection Kit
-Adv WH DVR Receiver Condition
-MRV Install

I’m not even sure what some of this stuff is for but is this all I need for WHDVR? Does the HR21 (which is staying) need something other than the CAT5 connection or is that what the VCONWifiDeca is for?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

If I was doing your install I would put a receiver deca on your old hd DVR and connect the hr34 directly to your network .. The hr34 has a built in broadband deca for connecting to the Internet .. Could also ask that that old DVR be service swapped for a newer DVR .

#3 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Correct, the HR34 does not require a DECA or the CCK.....UNLESS you don't have the router nearby or have a ethernet cable run from the router to the HR34.

Just had an install performed today. The ethernet ran into the HR34 just fine, and everything is connected to the internet

#4 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Correct, the HR34 does not require a DECA or the CCK.....UNLESS you don't have the router nearby or have a ethernet cable run from the router to the HR34.

Just had an install performed today. The ethernet ran into the HR34 just fine, and everything is connected to the internet

Well he said his receivers are already hooked up with Ethernet so I'm guessing that's still available .

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

Just be advised that while hooking up the HR34 directly to your router will work just fine, techs are not taught to do that. They will want to hook up a CCK. If you don't want the CCK, after the tech leaves just disconnect it and plug the ethernet cable into the HR34.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

Just be advised that while hooking up the HR34 directly to your router will work just fine, techs are not taught to do that. They will want to hook up a CCK. If you don't want the CCK, after the tech leaves just disconnect it and plug the ethernet cable into the HR34.

- Merg

That's not true .. The majority will wire it up and oli a wired deca

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

That's not true .. The majority will wire it up and oli a wired deca

As I understand it, a tech will not get credit for a full Internet install if they don't use a CCK.

And what do you mean by "oli a wired deca"?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

He will .. Oli is order line item on the work order

#9 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

My tech had to call to add "internet connected" on my account. The tech said he had ethernet connected directly to the HR34 The activation center told him he must use a cck or deca. He said "OK, I'll change it to a DECA"....He left it the way it was (connected to HR34). He said they could not tell how it was connected, just that it WAS connected via internet.
The direct connect of ethernet to the HR34 has not caused any issues.
I'd rather have a direct connect instead of a wireless one anyway.
So, the tech got paid, although he did it the way his regional boss/trainer said to do it, instead of the way the activation center said to.

#10 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

My tech had to call to add "internet connected" on my account. The tech said he had ethernet connected directly to the HR34 The activation center told him he must use a cck or deca. He said "OK, I'll change it to a DECA"....He left it the way it was (connected to HR34). He said they could not tell how it was connected, just that it WAS connected via internet.
The direct connect of ethernet to the HR34 has not caused any issues.
I'd rather have a direct connect instead of a wireless one anyway.
So, the tech got paid, although he did it the way his regional boss/trainer said to do it, instead of the way the activation center said to.

Yup .. 88 code = paid

I don't know why he would call to add broadband eligible tho lol..

#11 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Because if the work does not have broadband eligible and was not setup at point of sale with a broadband deca then the tech will not get credit for the tech connect bonus if he does not have it added. He would still get paid for hooking up the broadband deca just no bonus money. The bonus money is quarterly and $10 for every succesful hookup as long as your rate is above 90%. Do you not get that bonus? Also supervisors get a report of any broadband deca added that was not broadband eligible and you will get dinged for adding them without it.

#12 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

there was a CCK kit on the order, but he didn't use it, nor did he use a DECA. Not sure why he had to call, but I did see that "88" code somewhere in the activation/network connection.

I actually should have taken the CCK kit in case I wanted to go wireless later, because i'm sure i'll be charged later if I need it, but he was sold on hooking up wired since there was an ethernet cable there to the router.

#13 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Because if the work does not have broadband eligible and was not setup at point of sale with a broadband deca then the tech will not get credit for the tech connect bonus if he does not have it added. He would still get paid for hooking up the broadband deca just no bonus money. The bonus money is quarterly and $10 for every succesful hookup as long as your rate is above 90%. Do you not get that bonus? Also supervisors get a report of any broadband deca added that was not broadband eligible and you will get dinged for adding them without it.

I know the bonus , I get the bonus , never had an issue .. In years lol

Could just be a DMA thing

Edited by i3rown, 04 December 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

I know the bonus , I get the bonus , never had an issue .. In years lol

Could just be a DMA thing

Tech connect bonus has not been around for years. Maybe one year at most.

#15 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

- Merg

I don't have the CCK but had my previous DVR ( HR21 ) connected by a powered deca to my router. The ethernet cable goes from deca to router. There is a coax cable from the wall connecter going to a DTV 2 way splitter with one leg then going to the deca and the other going to the receiver. I just today had an HR34 installed, the tech left all that in place. Can I just eliminate all that, connecting the coax from the wall directly to the 34 and then an ethernet cable directly from router to receiver?

I have a second HR21 in another room that has it's own deca adapter, getting an internet connection along with the whole home service.

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,893 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

I don't have the CCK but had my previous DVR ( HR21 ) connected by a powered deca to my router. The ethernet cable goes from deca to router. There is a coax cable from the wall connecter going to a DTV 2 way splitter with one leg then going to the deca and the other going to the receiver. I just today had an HR34 installed, the tech left all that in place. Can I just eliminate all that, connecting the coax from the wall directly to the 34 and then an ethernet cable directly from router to receiver?

I have a second HR21 in another room that has it's own deca adapter, getting an internet connection along with the whole home service.

Yes you may eliminate all that now;

As the HR34 may act as a CCK, or the coax to ethernet crossover bridge.

spam firewall