Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to get a Genie

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

I'm assuming you meant he used two of these:
SWS-8

He should have used these instead to cut down on signal loss.
SWS-2

SWS-4

Hopefully you at least have the metal caps screwed onto the ports that don't have coax cable screwed onto them right?
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

SWS-8

SWS-2

SWS-4

Hopefully you at least have the metal caps screwed onto the ports that don't have coax cable screwed onto them right?

Yea that's what it is, I will have to look tonight but I would guess that the caps are not on there because I saw quite a few in the box he took with him.

Michael

My system:
HR44 Genie
HR23-100
(2) R22-100

#23 OFFLINE   Dahammer

Dahammer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

How much loss is there per splitter port? Is it significant enough to use an SWS-2 & a SWS-4 instead of an SWS-8 in a case where only 5 or 6 ports are needed?

#24 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Since you are in Texas, do you have the Protection Plan?

I'm in Texas and just added the $7.99 a month Protection Plan. I asked about Genie when I added it but the CSR said the part about an upgrade every 2 years would apply to any DVR and they couldn't guarantee a Genie. Have others in Texas had to fight to get a Genie?
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#25 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 298 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:31 AM

SWS-8

SWS-2

SWS-4

On the SWS-4 splitter the extreme left port says dor DC pass. What is ths port used for?
There is nothing connected to this port on my system.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#26 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,916 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

On the SWS-4 splitter the extreme left port says dor DC pass. What is ths port used for?
There is nothing connected to this port on my system.

J C

That port would be for passing the DC power to the SWiM module. The power supply is probably connected directly to the power port on SWiM16.

If the power supply and the SWiM module aren't in the same location then you can connect it to the power pass port either on it's own or in line with a receiver to power the SWiM module.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...