Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Time Warner Cable CEO Says It’s Time To Thin The Cable Channel Herd

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

http://consumerist.c...e-channel-herd/

Yes there are lot's of marginal channels with low viewership.

and some of them need to go.

At least directv got rid stuff like g4 that was dieing and is now at deaths door.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

Service providers will agree, but content owners know they make more money with multiple channels that they can bundle and sell.
DTV = Digital Television

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

“We’ve accumulated networks that hardly anybody watches,” he told the investors, per the Wall Street Journal. “We can’t keep carrying these giant packages… with services that don’t carry their weight.”

Problem here is the networks, Take History for example, will negotiate for just History. Then after the negotiations are complete, and Time Warner refused to carry the lesser watched channels in that package, they will move the popular shows to H2. Take Ancient Aliens as an example. Pretty soon H2 has all the old History shows, and History becomes another reality channel, and customers lose out as usual.

Every time the slew of providers picked up another MTV channel, they moved all the music to the channel (usually SD if carried at all) to force the providers into picking it up. Now we have all sorts of HD MTV channels, and all the music are on the SD channels DirecTv doesnt even carry.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,917 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

So in Time Warner Cable's world, any channel attempting to target a niche is worthless unless they drop their niche programming and appeal to a mass audience and get ratings that are the level of a TNT, USA or TBS? We saw how good that worked for G4 when they tried it. (DirecTV didn't drop them until AFTER they alienated the fanbase of TechTV, fired most of the staff who relocated to G4's headquarters less than 6 months into the merger, and then started dropping many of their gaming shows in favor of Cops 2.0 and infomercials for Girls Gone Wild, driving away their core audience who would have came to their defense if it DirecTV dropped them 4 or 5 years earlier when shows like The Screen Savers, Call for Help and others were still on the air.)

They might as well say goodbye to any subscribers who are fans of Boomerang, Nicktoons, Nick Jr, TeenNick, bio, H2, Cloo, Chiller, Cooking Channel, DIY, Disney XD, The Hub, Investigation Discovery, Destination America, Military Channel, Science, LMN, We, Discovery Fit and Health, Logo, Style, Ovation, Nat Geo Wild, TV One, BET, Centric, Reelz, RFD, CMT, GAC, GMC, Outdoor Channel, MTV Hits, MTV Jams and others.

Just because they don't watch a niche channel doesn't mean others don't. i.e. take a really niche channel like RFD-TV, it might be useless to people who live in a big city and only see stars in the sky when there's a blackout, but to the rural farmers that grow the food they put on their plates every night, live cattle auctions and programs like the US Farm report and AgDay are part of a daily routine.

Time Warner might as well stop offering digital cable and go back to their 70 channel analog lineup they had in the late 90s before the launch of all these niche channels that made digital cable worthwhile if they see them as a problem.

Edited by KyL416, 03 December 2012 - 09:37 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

G4 only got on directv by buying tech tv.

But we do need an at least some kind of a theme pack system that gives you more choice then what we have today.

Now I can see the need for most of the sports channels we have now.

Also tv providers need to take a stand before things get really out of control.

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 03 December 2012 - 11:07 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

Isn't TWC sports in LA a niche channel?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#7 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

Isn't TWC sports in LA a niche channel?

It's a Local RSN channel but right now it only has one team and they are looking to try to get more teams as well.

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

It's a Local RSN channel but right now it only has one team and they are looking to try to get more teams as well.

Sounds niche to me.

So, Time Warner says niche is okay when it is their niche.

Got it.

If they fail to expand to more teams, will they be culled from the herd?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#9 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

Sounds niche to me.

So, Time Warner says niche is okay when it is their niche.

Got it.

If they fail to expand to more teams, will they be culled from the herd?

well they don't have it in all areas / out of market it's in a sports pack with black out's.

#10 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:16 AM

The problem isn't Lifetime Real Women, Chiller, DIY or any of the other secondary channels - it's sports. When 50% of your programming costs address only 20% of your customer base you have a problem.

Dropping channels that cost 20 cents month is just noise when new sports channels costing $3-5 month keep popping up.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#11 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

The problem isn't Lifetime Real Women, Chiller, DIY or any of the other secondary channels - it's sports. When 50% of your programming costs address only 20% of your customer base you have a problem.

Dropping channels that cost 20 cents month is just noise when new sports channels costing $3-5 month keep popping up.

Wholeheartedly agree!! Any channel that is JUST sports 24/7 should be in a sports package. Let those that want the expensive channels pay for them! Can you imagine if HBO said "Well, you HAVE to start carrying all of our HBO channels in your lowest package, and raise the cost of that package at least $15 a month, or you're not having ANY HBO channels"?
The problem with eliminating smaller, niche channels is, it will never happen. Look at Boomerang, HLN, and TruTV. All Turner has to say is "You're carrying them too, and paying extra for them, or you can't broadcast TNT or TBS." Can you imagine a cable/satellite system WITHOUT TBS or TNT?

#12 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

It's a pre-emptive strike at negotiation....but I do agree with him.....let's see if he actually follows suit and enforces the new "rule" on himself and his company.

http://consumerist.c...e-channel-herd/

Yes there are lot's of marginal channels with low viewership.

and some of them need to go.

At least directv got rid stuff like g4 that was dieing and is now at deaths door.

#13 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Wholeheartedly agree!! Any channel that is JUST sports 24/7 should be in a sports package. Let those that want the expensive channels pay for them! Can you imagine if HBO said "Well, you HAVE to start carrying all of our HBO channels in your lowest package, and raise the cost of that package at least $15 a month, or you're not having ANY HBO channels"?
The problem with eliminating smaller, niche channels is, it will never happen. Look at Boomerang, HLN, and TruTV. All Turner has to say is "You're carrying them too, and paying extra for them, or you can't broadcast TNT or TBS." Can you imagine a cable/satellite system WITHOUT TBS or TNT?

There should be a split sports pack at least split off the out of market stuff into it's own pack with the other sports channels in a different pack as well.

Now talking about that HBO idea now what if some where to say have a adult channel and some other more basic channel and they said want are basic channel then our adult channel better be in the same pack and we want the same price for it.

#14 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

I agree that there are WAY too many TV networks but anytime a carrier drops some of the less watched ones, the few people who watch them will be very vocal.

I think it's a crime that ESPN expects $4~5 per sub. I watch ESPN maybe 20 times per year (baseball and football). I believe that fee doesn't include ESPN2 and its other networks. Disney sure has the cable/sat providers where they want them. No carrier is going to drop ESPN yet the carriers have no way to fight back other than to drop the lesser watched ESPN channels (ESPN U, ESPN Classic).
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#15 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

I agree that there are WAY too many TV networks but anytime a carrier drops some of the less watched ones, the few people who watch them will be very vocal.

I think it's a crime that ESPN expects $4~5 per sub. I watch ESPN maybe 20 times per year (baseball and football). I believe that fee doesn't include ESPN2 and its other networks. Disney sure has the cable/sat providers where they want them. No carrier is going to drop ESPN yet the carriers have no way to fight back other than to drop the lesser watched ESPN channels (ESPN U, ESPN Classic).

Espn has begun to counter that by using all those channels for overflow games. And games are their bread and butter.

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

Isn't the real problem is that greed is everywhere therefore everyone suffers because of it?

This article is blaming the content providers, but I assure you that the content providers will immediately point to their own balance sheets on the ever rising costs from Hollywood for producing content.

#17 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

The only way things will change is if people will just start cancelling cable and satellite television and not switch to another provider.

Here is the catch.... while the programs are available through alternative means (e.g. Hulu, Netflix), guess who provides the Internet connectivity? Most often, it is the cable providers, and they have capped the internet bandwidth because these alternative providers are cannibalizing their primary business.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#18 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,808 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Isn't the real problem is that greed is everywhere therefore everyone suffers because of it?

This article is blaming the content providers, but I assure you that the content providers will immediately point to their own balance sheets on the ever rising costs from Hollywood for producing content.

... and Hollywood can point to their own rising costs.

To me... one of the main issues is brand dilution.

#19 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

... and Hollywood can point to their own rising costs.

To me... one of the main issues is brand dilution.

Can you elaborate? Not sure what you mean.

#20 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,808 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Can you elaborate? Not sure what you mean.

I was basically making a similar statement as what Davenlr was saying in the quote below:

Problem here is the networks, Take History for example, will negotiate for just History. Then after the negotiations are complete, and Time Warner refused to carry the lesser watched channels in that package, they will move the popular shows to H2. Take Ancient Aliens as an example. Pretty soon H2 has all the old History shows, and History becomes another reality channel, and customers lose out as usual.

Every time the slew of providers picked up another MTV channel, they moved all the music to the channel (usually SD if carried at all) to force the providers into picking it up. Now we have all sorts of HD MTV channels, and all the music are on the SD channels DirecTv doesnt even carry.

I'll be honest... since I've gotten DirecTV in 1995, there's been very few channels added that I've cared about, and multiple channels I had back in those days, I've stopped watching due to programming changes.

But... the content providers have realized that quantity brings them more money than quality. :rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...