Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Time Warner Cable CEO Says It’s Time To Thin The Cable Channel Herd

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

Isn't TWC sports in LA a niche channel?

No more than any other RSN, the niche being 1 geographical area.

Although TWC Sportsnet can now be received in the entire Lakers market area, which has about 30 million people....Not sure how many people tune in when a game is on, but BBC America has a hard time breaking 1 million when they air Doctor Who.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

No more than any other RSN, the niche being 1 geographical area.

Although TWC Sportsnet can now be received in the entire Lakers market area, which has about 30 million people....Not sure how many people tune in when a game is on, but BBC America has a hard time breaking 1 million when they air Doctor Who.

Nope. Sorry. Only really broadcasts 70 games a year. Those eyeballs are there for about 140 hours a year. As niche as an rsn can be. Might be one or two in the same ballpark but most RSNs have more programming and more teams. (The Galaxy does NOT count...)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#23 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

You all think we have a lot of channels here in the US, then you should take a look at the UK like Sky's channel lineup. They literally have 800 channels and I'm not including pay per view or audio only actual linear entertainment channels. I know a lot of them are freeview channels do to taxes but why are providers there OK with having so much more and far more niche then here. It is almost every month that a new channel is launching there and no they are not merging or taking over another channel, it's actually a new channel coming from nowhere. Yes the United states still has more hd channels but that may change in the future.

#24 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 517 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

The problem isn't Lifetime Real Women, Chiller, DIY or any of the other secondary channels - it's sports. When 50% of your programming costs address only 20% of your customer base you have a problem.

Dropping channels that cost 20 cents month is just noise when new sports channels costing $3-5 month keep popping up.

Until people all together stop watching sports, nothing is going to change. Sports programming is the only programming that is DVR proof and the ratings are proof. The networks know that and so do advertisers.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#25 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 517 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

I was basically making a similar statement as what Davenlr was saying in the quote below:

I'll be honest... since I've gotten DirecTV in 1995, there's been very few channels added that I've cared about, and multiple channels I had back in those days, I've stopped watching due to programming changes.

But... the content providers have realized that quantity brings them more money than quality. :rolleyes:

Bingo. How many times a day can you watch reruns of Law & Order across MULTIPLE channels? :rolleyes:

DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

#26 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

I believe the NHL is the first domino to set forth the demise of paid professional sports in America. The justification of making all that money playing a game is about to cease. The middle class has to decide soon if I want to eat that day or watch pay television. Don't worry, Obama will see to it......

#27 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

I believe the NHL is the first domino to set forth the demise of paid professional sports in America. The justification of making all that money playing a game is about to cease. The middle class has to decide soon if I want to eat that day or watch pay television. Don't worry, Obama will see to it......

I see absolutely no evidence of that.
DTV = Digital Television

#28 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 517 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

Just like your favorite actor or actress, professional atheletes are entertainers with God given talent. Do you feel the same way when you go to a movie theater and pay $7 for a pop? It's the only way movie theaters can make money as every cent from a ticket sale goes to the studios.

DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

#29 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

The problem isn't Lifetime Real Women, Chiller, DIY or any of the other secondary channels - it's sports. When 50% of your programming costs address only 20% of your customer base you have a problem.

Dropping channels that cost 20 cents month is just noise when new sports channels costing $3-5 month keep popping up.

There are two parts to the argument - there are too many channels, and some channels charge too much. Whether the channel charges 20 cents or $5 per month, it still uses bandwidth. Even if all channels were only 20 cents, the number of channels cannot continue to grow.

#30 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

The NHL dispute is about whether the players will continue to get 57% of the income generated by the games or wether the player's allotment will be cut to 50% of the income generated by the games. It will be resolved eventually, but regardless of the outcome, it is in no way leading to the demise of paid professional sports in America. It is just millionaires fighting billionaires for an extra 7% of the revenue that is already being taken in on these games..

#31 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Bingo. How many times a day can you watch reruns of Law & Order across MULTIPLE channels? :rolleyes:

I guess that depends on if they are like my ex-wife. Yes, they exist.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#32 OFFLINE   tardisdude

tardisdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Time Warner's new strategy might have the opposite effect they wish (garnering more TV Subs). The TV channels I like might not be the ones someone else likes. I don't care if a channel is a low rated channel in their eyes, its important to me.

TW's new promises of removing channels might just help them erode further their customer base. Party on TW, moving into the future or making your ahem service less marketable.

#33 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,977 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

Isn't TWC sports in LA a niche channel?

No. Not everywhere. And I wouldn't be surprised if that channel gets better viewership in its primary market than some of the other truly niche channels out there that are viewable for the entire country.

#34 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,977 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

I personally would love to see a shift of the major play stations being in two or three packages, all sports being in a couple packages, and then the truly small niche market channels becoming a la cart. That would solve a lot of issues. A niche market channel to me is one that is hardly ever watched by anyone, or has only one specific type of programing. A reality only channel or a game show only channel would be those kinds of channels. Sports to me is in its completely separate own channel type, both RSNs and espn and league channels.

#35 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,797 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

Wasn't this principle exactly the thinking (at least in public) behind Dish Network dropping the AMC suite of channels? We can see how that worked out. :rolleyes:

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#36 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Of course the below is almost 3 years old now, but the reality is a ton of these channels are dirt cheap per sub/month. But cumulatively it must add up, and eat bw and infrastructure cost. Plus there's always the fact that it always causes hard feelings in the sub base to some degree when you dump a channel you've been carrying.

Posted Image
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#37 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 601 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hence, most of my viewing is towards movies. The idea that most of the so called niche channels, as well as the main ones, run 8 hour blocks of a show offers no variety. It is because of this is why services like Hulu exists. There are a number of programs, good programs, which can only be found via Internet sources.

What Time-Warner does not mention is that very few media companies own most, if not all of the channels. Take SyFy (SciFi). Before NBC Universal got hold of it, it ran mostly theatrical movies and SciFi and fantasy shows produced in the US and Britain, pre 1990s. Now it is a part time reality channel, with some SciFi, wrestling and a grade C horror/SciFi movie channel. To see how low this channel has come, tonight's first run movie "The 12 Disaster of Christmas". The description for the DirecTV Guide: "Massive earthquakes and other natural disasters threaten to destroy the world during the holidays". Even the previews SyFy was running for this movie were laughable. Though, three things stand out when big media wants to spend money: remake of "Dune", "Taken" (20 part mini series), and "Tin Man" were the great few highlights of the 13 or so years NBC/Universal controlled the channel.

The there is History and National geographic which both have now turned into reality channels. Animal Planet is heading that way. Of course there is AMC and IFC, no longer movie specific channels. Turner Classic movies reamins a diamond in the rough, as it has stuck to uncut, commercial free movies; amazing that it has not been wrecked like Fox Movie Channel/FXM.

Yes folks, and providers wonder why people are drifting to HlLu Plus, YouTube and NetFlix.

#38 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

I personally would love to see a shift of the major play stations being in two or three packages, all sports being in a couple packages, and then the truly small niche market channels becoming a la cart. That would solve a lot of issues. A niche market channel to me is one that is hardly ever watched by anyone, or has only one specific type of programing. A reality only channel or a game show only channel would be those kinds of channels. Sports to me is in its completely separate own channel type, both RSNs and espn and league channels.

If not pure ala carte, those channels could at least be bundled into likely-looking bundles. Discovery, Science, H2, Smithsonian. DIY, HGTV, Cooking. FMC, TCM, Lifetime Movies.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#39 OFFLINE   wmb

wmb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

(The Galaxy does NOT count...)

???? The MLS Cup winner for the past 2 years don't count?!? OK, Beckham is now gone. Haven't heard about Landon, yet.

Anyhow, there are few channels out there that I would say are must haves. Locals, of course. The ESPN package and Fox Soccer is a must have for me, even though I probably am less into sports than many of the guys I work with.

As for Netflicks, Hulu, etc, and the thread starter, this may be foretelling that Time Warner is looking in other directions. TW can get $50 to $100 for various broadband products over the same lines with the same equipment without having to provide the customer with any content. Seems like bandwidth can be a higher margin product that content - no programming costs.

The negotiating point for TW is to tell the networks, "Hey, you know that network you want us to pay $0.25 per month per subscriber for, why don't you just see if you can get 1 in 100 of our subscribers to pay you to stream it for that."

#40 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

Lots, and then you can throw in Law & Order UK, which uses the same episodes as the original L & O but set in London!!! The "DS Brooks" character is Lenny Briscoe with an English accent. :lol:

Edited by dhkinil, 10 December 2012 - 10:20 AM.

spam firewall