Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Time Warner Cable CEO Says It’s Time To Thin The Cable Channel Herd

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Espn has begun to counter that by using all those channels for overflow games. And games are their bread and butter.

ESPN's bread and butter is advertising. This must not be ignored.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

ESPN's bread and butter is advertising. This must not be ignored.

As my Intro to American Broadcasting professor once said, the sole reason American commercial broadcasting exists is to deliver the largest number of eyeballs possible to a point in time where an advertiser can present their message.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#43 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,615 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

The most interesting thing to me about his comments is that likely the same thing is being said at many places....he just said it publicly.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#44 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Bingo. How many times a day can you watch reruns of Law & Order across MULTIPLE channels? :rolleyes:

5 to 6 times a day including locals.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#45 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

The most interesting thing to me about his comments is that likely the same thing is being said at many places....he just said it publicly.

And if it were Mike White making the comments there would be a bunch of people on this board jumping on the bandwagon. Because it's a competitor some seem to want to dispute it.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#46 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,615 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

And if it were Mike White making the comments there would be a bunch of people on this board jumping on the bandwagon. Because it's a competitor some seem to want to dispute it.

Perhaps....then again....maybe not.

We are approaching a tipping point between having "x" number of HD channels (and I'm a big fan of HD channels if you couldn't tell :D) and pricing services out of the range of the mainstream customer base.

At some point, there comes a time when having any content delivery provider like cable, DirecTV, or other one is asked to pay a disproportionate amount of fee to transmit a channel - becomes out of line with the viewing numbers. At that point, it becomes a losing proposition. Last time I checked, all of these providers were for-profit companies.

I have no problem with what the cable exec stated - it happens to be a fact - this is on the verge of impacting all pay-TV service customers. Unless the greed of the original content providers ceases, we'll all start to see rising prices to the point that consumers can no longer afford what they may have today. The fact that ESPN alone charges somewhere in the $6.00 -7.50 range per month for their channels seems exorbitant.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#47 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

5 to 6 times a day including locals.

You bet!

better this than multiple espn channels that I never watch.

I enjoy baseball myself, and I'd be ok with paying "per game" when I wanted to watch one, instead of subbing to sports channels that are of no interest to me.

#48 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

Regardless of who said it first or who said it publicly, some people on this board will agree and others will disagree. I agree that the number of channels cannot continue to grow, especially since many of what were once niche channels are regressing to some sort of homogenous common denominator to get more viewers than they had as a niche channel.

spam firewall