Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Buying an HD Receiver?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Roberth638

Roberth638

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

I am a current DirecTV subscriber.

I just bought an HD TV for the kitchen. In order to get an HD receiver from DirecTV at a great price, they want me to sign for two years.

Here are my questions:

I have noted that I can buy an HD receiver on eBay.

Is there something wrong with that?

Are people selling receivers they actually own or are they selling DirecTV property?

If I can get one a great price, why wouldn't I go the route?

Thanks for your help!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,719 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

I just bought an HD TV for the kitchen. In order to get an HD receiver from DirecTV at a great price, they want me to sign for two years.

Here are my questions:

Are people selling receivers they actually own or are they selling DirecTV property?

Thanks for your help!!

"MOST" receivers are leased, so they're owned by DirecTV.
"Some" used receivers have been owned by the customer.
Before buying anything you think is owned, get the serial number and check with DirecTV as to how their system lists this receiver. If it's listed as owned, then you can buy a new access card from DirecTV and activate it on your account, if it comes from a customer who's account is in good standing with DirecTV.

"More often than not", you're looking at a leased receiver that may or may not be of any use to you.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

"MOST" receivers are leased, so they're owned by DirecTV.
"Some" used receivers have been owned by the customer.
Before buying anything you think is owned, get the serial number and check with DirecTV as to how their system lists this receiver. If it's listed as owned, then you can buy a new access card from DirecTV and activate it on your account, if it comes from a customer who's account is in good standing with DirecTV.

"More often than not", you're looking at a leased receiver that may or may not be of any use to you.

get the RECEIVER ID # and check with DirecTV as to how their system lists this receiver.

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

Here are my questions:

Thanks for your help!!

You still pay the $6 per additional receiver whether you buy or lease...maybe you knew that, maybe you didnt. if you really dont have a plan to leave in the next 2 years, sometimes its just easier to get it directly from D*.

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

get the RECEIVER ID # and check with DirecTV as to how their system lists this receiver.

And you specifically want to contact the Access Card Team at DirecTV. Verify that the receiver is owned, there is no outstanding balance on it, and that you would be able to activate it.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall