Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Possibly upgrading to HR34, have a couple questions.

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

I currently have two HR24's, one in the living room, one in the bedroom, and the bedroom one feeds an old SD TV, nothing special.

I'd like to upgrade to the HR34, simply because it can record more than two shows at a time. The csr on the phone said it can control up to 4 tv's, I think is what she said. So, would it be hardwired to all 4 tv's or? The reason I ask is, I don't necessarily need it to control the bedroom tv. We actually split that off, and it's used more in the kitchen for a little tv on the counter. So, I'd actually like to leave the HR24 in the bedroom, doing what it does, and just have the HR34 in the living room. Can it be done that way?

Right now I have a SL3 lnb, a two way splitter, one cable going to the power inserter/bedroom HR24, the other going to the living room HR24, and the cables go through the attic, and in the walls, so could all that be kept in place, and just upgrade to the HR34?

I hope what I'm asking made sense. :)

Oh......do they charge more for the DVR service with the HR34?

Thanks!

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

You can keep the HR24 as is, and replace one with an HR34. the WHDVR fee will stay the same. ify ou want an additional TV controlled by a C31 or other RVU client, it will cost $6/mo additional.

if you get rid of the other HR34, and replace it with a C31, then your WHDVR fee will go away (assuming you pay the $3/mo for it now) so you can decide wiether to keep the 2nd HR24 or save $3/mo by changing it for a C31.

If you account is post March of this year I don't think there will be a difference in the fees...

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#3 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

You can keep the HR24 as is, and replace one with an HR34. the WHDVR fee will stay the same. ify ou want an additional TV controlled by a C31 or other RVU client, it will cost $6/mo additional.

if you get rid of the other HR34, and replace it with a C31, then your WHDVR fee will go away (assuming you pay the $3/mo for it now) so you can decide wiether to keep the 2nd HR24 or save $3/mo by changing it for a C31.

If you account is post March of this year I don't think there will be a difference in the fees...

Ok, how much is the WHDVR fee? I pay $8 a month now for DVR service. What is a C31?

I'd be happy leaving the HR24 in the bedroom just as it is, controlling the kitchen tv, and just swap out the HR24 in the living room for an HR34, so I guess a better way to ask is, is a single cable going to an HR34 all that is needed? If so, everything is in place, except I think that the SL3 lnb would get swapped out, and a bigger multiswitch installed, yes?

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#4 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

C31 - Thin client using the RVU protocol... it hooks to the TV and operates on the HR34 using it as a Server

WHDVR - If you can watch a TV show from one of your current HR24's to the other one, you have what is called Whole-Home DVR service. that fee is $3 and in addition to the $8 DVR service fee.

if you have single cables going to each of your HR24's now, then adding the HR34 would be a swap out. the HR24's each use 2 tuners, the HR34 has 5. as long as you use 8 or less tuners, you do not need to change anything on the dish or multi-switch.

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#5 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

C31 - Thin client using the RVU protocol... it hooks to the TV and operates on the HR34 using it as a Server

WHDVR - If you can watch a TV show from one of your current HR24's to the other one, you have what is called Whole-Home DVR service. that fee is $3 and in addition to the $8 DVR service fee.

if you have single cables going to each of your HR24's now, then adding the HR34 would be a swap out. the HR24's each use 2 tuners, the HR34 has 5. as long as you use 8 or less tuners, you do not need to change anything on the dish or multi-switch.

Ok......I just talked to Directv, and the girl I talked to made it more complicated than I think it needs to be, but I don't know much about the HR34, so I can't say for sure. She told me I have to have whole home service, or a media connection kit to even use the HR34.....something like that.

What I don't understand is, if the HR34 can record 5 shows just the way it sits, can I just simply swap out the living room HR24 with an HR34? And will this work with a SL3 lnb. I don't currently use an external multiswitch......single cable coming off the lnb to a two way splitter, one cable going to the bedroom receiver, the other to the living room receiver.

She said the upgrade to the HR34 require paying for the installation, and they would give me the genie, or whatever it's called, but she also suggested upgrading to the whole home service, and it would be completely free to us, and then we could essentially record 4 shows at one time, if we needed to, and anything recorded on the bedroom HR24, could be sent to the living room, for better viewing, obviously. That seemed like it made sense too, but would require additional cable being run, yes?

Edited by Soulweeper, 04 December 2012 - 10:04 PM.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,766 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

[quote name='VOLBEAT']Ok......I just talked to Directv, and the girl I talked to made it more complicated than I think it needs to be, but I don't know much about the HR34, so I can't say for sure. She told me I have to have whole home service, or a media connection kit to even us to even use the HR34.....something like that.[quote] You'll need MRV to watch the recordings from your other DVR. The CCK can be used or the eithernet port of the HR34 to get internet for OnDemand and the other network.internet features.
[quote]What I don't understand is, if the HR34 can record 5 shows just the way it sits, can I just simply swap out the living room HR24 with an HR34?[/quote] yes, if you don't have more than eight tuners connected to the dish.
[quote] And will this work with a SL3 lnb. I don't currently use an external multiswitch......single cable coming off the lnb to a two way splitter, one cable going to the bedroom receiver, the other to the living room receiver.[/quote] this is a SWiM, so it will work.
[quote]She said the upgrade to the HR34 require paying for the installation, and they would give me the genie, or whatever it's called, but she also suggested upgrading to the whole home service, and it would be completely free to us, and then we could essentially record 4 shows at one time, if we needed to, and anything recorded on the bedroom HR24, could be sent to the living room, for better viewing, obviously. That seemed like it made sense too, but would require additional cable being run, yes?[/quote]Might be a good idea as the install should be done correctly and any added cabling will be done. The bedroom doesn't need any, but the CCK might.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

[quote name='veryoldschool'][quote name='VOLBEAT']Ok......I just talked to Directv, and the girl I talked to made it more complicated than I think it needs to be, but I don't know much about the HR34, so I can't say for sure. She told me I have to have whole home service, or a media connection kit to even us to even use the HR34.....something like that.[quote] You'll need MRV to watch the recordings from your other DVR. The CCK can be used or the eithernet port of the HR34 to get internet for OnDemand and the other network.internet features.
yes, if you don't have more than eight tuners connected to the dish.
this is a SWiM, so it will work.
Might be a good idea as the install should be done correctly and any added cabling will be done. The bedroom doesn't need any, but the CCK might.[/QUOTE]
Ok.....thanks for that info!

So, I know I can simply swap out my HR24 in the living room with an HR34, and would then be able to record up to 5 shows at once, just on that machine alone, with nothing more than maybe another cable to the HR34, but was she correct in telling me it won't work without the media connection kit or the genie?

My understanding is that it could simply be swapped out, and just work the way it sits. She said it has to be connected to the internet to work, which doesn't make sense to me.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,766 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

So, I know I can simply swap out my HR24 in the living room with an HR34, and would then be able to record up to 5 shows at once, just on that machine alone, with nothing more than maybe another cable to the HR34, but was she correct in telling me it won't work without the media connection kit or the genie?

My understanding is that it could simply be swapped out, and just work the way it sits. She said it has to be connected to the internet to work, which doesn't make sense to me.

She's following her script, but doesn't sound like she knows how it works, or understand what you have.
One coax to the HR34 [Genie] supplies all the signals it needs.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

She's following her script, but doesn't sound like she knows how it works, or understand what you have.

X2

#10 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

I had a feeling she was wrong. I know it's capable of much more than what I'd like out of it, but for me, it's a DVR with a bigger HDD, that can record 3 more shows at the same time than my HR23, and that's good enough for me.

So my simple setup is fine.......SL3 lnb, no extra multiswitch, one coax to the living room, one to the bedroom.

That being said, realistically, if they wanted me to renew my 2 year contract, they could simply ship me an HR34, or have a tech come by with one, and simply swap it out, and that's that, correct? This thing about it not even working without either of these other things is just her being wrong. She was retention too. Oh well.....no biggie.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,766 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

That being said, realistically, if they wanted me to renew my 2 year contract, they could simply ship me an HR34, or have a tech come by with one, and simply swap it out, and that's that, correct?

I'll leave that between you and DirecTV. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

I'll leave that between you and DirecTV. :lol:

:lol: Gotcha!

You know what I'm saying though.....theoretically, it's that simple, I don't need what she was saying for it to "work". It can just be swapped out, turned on, and just work, correct?

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#13 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

:lol: Gotcha!

You know what I'm saying though.....theoretically, it's that simple, I don't need what she was saying for it to "work". It can just be swapped out, turned on, and just work, correct?

Lol good luck ..

#14 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

Lol good luck ..

With what?
I'm talking about the HR34 simply working without all the crap the retention person said was "needed for it to work", regardless of how I obtain it.

FYI, the retention person was willing to upgrade me, just had some of her facts wrong.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#15 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

With what?
I'm talking about the HR34 simply working without all the crap the retention person said was "needed for it to work", regardless of how I obtain it.

FYI, the retention person was willing to upgrade me, just had some of her facts wrong.

I guess I was kinda just laughing at myself , it always seems like the people who think its just a swap turn into a complete rebuild .

Just consider that if the tech comes outs and installs it , it might include more time than just swapping the receiver.

Nothing that would cost you anything .. But if the dish isn't to code or something he's gonna wanna fix it. ( most likely) of course you always have the option of telling him to leave it .

#16 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

I guess I was kinda just laughing at myself , it always seems like the people who think its just a swap turn into a complete rebuild .

Just consider that if the tech comes outs and installs it , it might include more time than just swapping the receiver.

Nothing that would cost you anything .. But if the dish isn't to code or something he's gonna wanna fix it. ( most likely) of course you always have the option of telling him to leave it .

Yeah, no problem, I just meant that the retention person made it sound like I couldn't simply swap out an HR24 for an HR34 without getting the cinema connection kit, I think it's called, or at least the Whole Home Service. She actually said it won't even work if it's not connected to the internet, lol!

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#17 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

Yeah, no problem, I just meant that the retention person made it sound like I couldn't simply swap out an HR24 for an HR34 without getting the cinema connection kit, I think it's called, or at least the Whole Home Service. She actually said it won't even work if it's not connected to the internet, lol!

I think it has more to do with their ordering system. An HR34 requires SWM. Although you have SWM, their system shows that you are on a legacy multiswitch system. This could have happened by you adding SWM yourself or a tech putting it in when it was not on the order. To "upgrade" you to SWM, an order needs to be built with a wired CCK or for Whole Home DVR.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#18 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

I currently have two HR24's, one in the living room, one in the bedroom, and the bedroom one feeds an old SD TV, nothing special.

I'd like to upgrade to the HR34, simply because it can record more than two shows at a time. The csr on the phone said it can control up to 4 tv's, I think is what she said. So, would it be hardwired to all 4 tv's or? The reason I ask is, I don't necessarily need it to control the bedroom tv. We actually split that off, and it's used more in the kitchen for a little tv on the counter. So, I'd actually like to leave the HR24 in the bedroom, doing what it does, and just have the HR34 in the living room.!

Are you only having Just the HR34 and One HR24 connected then? Because if you want one of your other DVRs connected, that requires a SWiM 16. You might want to make sure thats what you Really want before your order.

#19 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

I think it has more to do with their ordering system. An HR34 requires SWM. Although you have SWM, their system shows that you are on a legacy multiswitch system. This could have happened by you adding SWM yourself or a tech putting it in when it was not on the order. To "upgrade" you to SWM, an order needs to be built with a wired CCK or for Whole Home DVR.

Yes, I put SWM in myself, a few years ago, so maybe that's it. Maybe if I get the right person on the phone, I can explain that. What is a wired CCK?

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#20 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

Are you only having Just the HR34 and One HR24 connected then? Because if you want one of your other DVRs connected, that requires a SWiM 16. You might want to make sure thats what you Really want before your order.

Yes, I will replace the living room HR24 with the HR34, and have one other HR24 in the bedroom, that's it. So, no external multiswitch needed then.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

Protected By... spam firewall...And...