Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Possibly upgrading to HR34, have a couple questions.

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Yes, I put SWM in myself, a few years ago, so maybe that's it.

There's little "maybe" to that.
How is their system to know what you've done yourself?
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

There's little "maybe" to that.
How is their system to know what you've done yourself?

It won't, that's why I said I can explain that to them. I don't call them to do everything, it isn't necessary, and it's cheaper for me to do it.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

It won't, that's why I said I can explain that to them. I don't call them to do everything, it isn't necessary, and it's cheaper for me to do it.

I hope you don't mind me poking some fun at this.

"New Flash"

Customer adds equipment on their own and doesn't understand why DirecTV doesn't know it.

OK back to dealing with this.

You should have an installer come out and check your system and update your account to reflect what is installed.
A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

I hope you don't mind me poking some fun at this.

Not at all. :)

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#25 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

Explaining to them just doesn't do any good, there system will add SWM and CCK to the order, you just have to go with it and deal with the installer when he gets there!
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#26 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Yes, I put SWM in myself, a few years ago, so maybe that's it. Maybe if I get the right person on the phone, I can explain that. What is a wired CCK?

CCK = Cinema Connection Kit

I have never heard of a customer being able to get them to change what their system reflects.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#27 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

Yes, I will replace the living room HR24 with the HR34, and have one other HR24 in the bedroom, that's it. So, no external multiswitch needed then.

You still need a Swim 8, Thats an external Multi-switch.

#28 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

You still need a Swim 8, Thats an external Multi-switch.

From what I've read, he already has a SWM system and doesn't need any external multi-switch UNLESS he wants to use more than the 34 and one 24. And then he'd need a SWM16, not the 8.

#29 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

From what I've read, he already has a SWM system and doesn't need any external multi-switch UNLESS he wants to use more than the 34 and one 24. And then he'd need a SWM16, not the 8.

Maybe he has the Swim LNB. I've seen him say Swim, but claimed he had no external switch.:)

#30 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Maybe he has the Swim LNB. I've seen him say Swim, but claimed he had no external switch.:)

Yes, I have the SL3 SWiM lnb. What I meant by no external switch was nothing outside what's built into the lnb, guess I should have clarified that.

That being said, will I still be good to go if I want to use one HR34 and one HR24, the way it sits right now, no other multiswitch?

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#31 OFFLINE   marabunta

marabunta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

CCK = Cinema Connection Kit

I have never heard of a customer being able to get them to change what their system reflects.

Hm, I just did, last night. Told them I self-installed my SWM and it all checks out, please activate WHDVR service. They sounded surprised and had to transfer me to "Advanced Technical Services" to change my account indicator from legacy to SWM, but once there, it was done in a few minutes.

Caveat: I am on an RV account...I've been self-supported out of necessity for over 10 years now.

#32 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Yes, I have the SL3 SWiM lnb. What I meant by no external switch was nothing outside what's built into the lnb, guess I should have clarified that.

That being said, will I still be good to go if I want to use one HR34 and one HR24, the way it sits right now, no other multiswitch?

Yes, Accoring to solid signal the Swim LNB is a Swim 8

#33 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

I just talked to Directv, and they said no problem if I want to upgrade to an HR34, and they would simply send it to me, and I'd send back my leased HR24. No whole home service needed, no CCK.....just swap it out. No charge either. I'm out of contract, and they know I'd be in a 2 year contract, not that I'd switch anyway, been with them for just over 15 years now.

So, if I do that, and simply swap out the receivers, I'm guessing the monthly DVR service wouldn't increase, correct?

Edited by Soulweeper, 09 December 2012 - 03:48 PM.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#34 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Correct, you are swapping a dvr for another dvr. Monthly charges should not change.

#35 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Correct, you are swapping a dvr for another dvr. Monthly charges should not change.

Yeah, that's how I see it too, but wasn't sure how they would. I guess it only increases if you have the whole home service, which I won't. I know in the past they have told me they can't guarantee which receiver will ship, so I hope in this case the lady knew what she was talking about, and could in fact, ship me an HR34. Being that it's a slightly different animal, I'm assuming she was right. They could always just have a tech drop one off too, worst case.

Edited by Soulweeper, 09 December 2012 - 06:22 PM.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#36 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

Well now I'm not so sure Directv will let you just have the HR 34 with out the Whole Home fee.

http://www.directv.c..._lease_addendum

PROGRAMMING AGREEMENT AND TERM.To keep costs down for you, we provide dishes and standard installation at reduced or no cost. In exchange, we ask that you remain a customer for a specified period of time. Specifically, you agree that within 30 days of getting DIRECTV equipment (either provided to you or installed professionally), you will activate your Receivers/Clients and subscribe to a base level of programming valued at $29.99/mo. or above, which may consist of a DIRECTV base programming package (English or Spanish language); Jadeworld; OR, a qualifying international-language a la carte service bundled with either BASIC CHOICE or PREFERRED CHOICE. If you do not activate each Receiver/Client, you agree that DIRECTV or the authorized retailer from whom you obtained the equipment may charge you $150 per Receiver/Client as liquidated damages. You agree to continuously maintain the minimum level of programming with us as follows: New customers: 24 consecutive months. Existing customers: 24 consecutive months for DVR, HD and/or HD DVR Receivers and any Clients, or 12 consecutive months for standard Receivers. If you selected an Advanced Whole-Home DVR (aka "Genie HD DVR") or an HD DVR, you agree to pay a monthly Advanced Receiver fee ($20/mo.). If you selected an HD Receiver, you agree to pay a monthly Advanced Receiver-HD fee ($10/mo.). If you selected a DVR Receiver, you agree to pay a monthly Advanced Receiver- DVR fee ($8/mo.). If you selected a TiVo® HD DVR from DIRECTV (except for model HR10-250), you agree to pay a monthly Advanced Receiver-TiVo fee ($20/mo.) and a monthly TiVo fee ($5/mo.). THIS AGREEMENT TO MAINTAIN PROGRAMMING IS SEPARATE AND DIFFERENT FROM ANY OTHER YOU MAY HAVE MADE WITH DIRECTV AND IS FULLY ENFORCEABLE UNDER THESE TERMS.

#37 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Well now I'm not so sure Directv will let you just have the HR 34 with out the Whole Home fee.

http://www.directv.c..._lease_addendum

PROGRAMMING AGREEMENT AND TERM.To keep costs down for you, we provide dishes and standard installation at reduced or no cost. In exchange, we ask that you remain a customer for a specified period of time. Specifically, you agree that within 30 days of getting DIRECTV equipment (either provided to you or installed professionally), you will activate your Receivers/Clients and subscribe to a base level of programming valued at $29.99/mo. or above, which may consist of a DIRECTV base programming package (English or Spanish language); Jadeworld; OR, a qualifying international-language a la carte service bundled with either BASIC CHOICE or PREFERRED CHOICE. If you do not activate each Receiver/Client, you agree that DIRECTV or the authorized retailer from whom you obtained the equipment may charge you $150 per Receiver/Client as liquidated damages. You agree to continuously maintain the minimum level of programming with us as follows: New customers: 24 consecutive months. Existing customers: 24 consecutive months for DVR, HD and/or HD DVR Receivers and any Clients, or 12 consecutive months for standard Receivers. If you selected an Advanced Whole-Home DVR (aka "Genie HD DVR") or an HD DVR, you agree to pay a monthly Advanced Receiver fee ($20/mo.). If you selected an HD Receiver, you agree to pay a monthly Advanced Receiver-HD fee ($10/mo.). If you selected a DVR Receiver, you agree to pay a monthly Advanced Receiver- DVR fee ($8/mo.). If you selected a TiVo® HD DVR from DIRECTV (except for model HR10-250), you agree to pay a monthly Advanced Receiver-TiVo fee ($20/mo.) and a monthly TiVo fee ($5/mo.). THIS AGREEMENT TO MAINTAIN PROGRAMMING IS SEPARATE AND DIFFERENT FROM ANY OTHER YOU MAY HAVE MADE WITH DIRECTV AND IS FULLY ENFORCEABLE UNDER THESE TERMS.

Yeah, I'll have to clarify that with them, as I'm not paying $20 a month to have an HR34. I'll just stay with what I have. It isn't worth it to me.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#38 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

Yeah, I'll have to clarify that with them, as I'm not paying $20 a month to have an HR34. I'll just stay with what I have. It isn't worth it to me.

That statement is a bit misleading. It is for new customers that started after the change to ARS.
Older customers have line items for what is in the ARS. HD, DVR, and MRV are all part of the ARS fee.
I don't have ARS, but do have a 34 and HD, DVR, & MRV fees.
A.K.A VOS

#39 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

That statement is a bit misleading. It is for new customers that started after the change to ARS.
Older customers have line items for what is in the ARS. HD, DVR, and MRV are all part of the ARS fee.
I don't have ARS, but do have a 34 and HD, DVR, & MRV fees.

Ah, so if they simply swap out my 24 for a 34, I might be o.k. with the fees staying the same then? Hopefully.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#40 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Ah, so if they simply swap out my 24 for a 34, I might be o.k. with the fees staying the same then? Hopefully.

Well you'll find out for sure on your next months bill.:)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...