Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Possibly upgrading to HR34, have a couple questions.

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Well you'll find out for sure on your next months bill.:)

This sounds a bit paranoid, as you can't even have the ARS fee added to an older account that has HD, DVR, & MRV on it as line items.

ARS started with new accounts back in February I believe.

Check out the threads about not being able to delete recordings from the C31. This is due to not having MRV on the account, and the CSRs not being able to add ARS to replace the HD & DVR fees.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

OK, since we're talking upgrading to an HR34/Genie let me asks the experts. I currently have one HR20-700(main) and an R15 (master bedroom on 27" Sony by S- video)on a 5 LNB side car dish, no multiswitch. I'd like to keep the dish because it gets more channels than the SL3
I plan on getting a HDTV for the bedroom. I also have a 27" SD set in another bedroom that isn't connected (it has component connection available)

I've been off contract for awhile. I have the free HD DVR offer on my account page. (refurbished HR24 from what's been posted in other threads) Any ideas on how to get the the best bang for my buck? (CSR roulette?)

BTW I live in a Cox Communications area and they have been plastering our neighborhood with their Whole home DVR "bundle" ads

#43 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

Well you'll find out for sure on your next months bill.:)

Oh I'll get that clarified before they ever send it, trust me. :)

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#44 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Oh I'll get that clarified before they ever send it, trust me. :)

Yeah, you'll come out a dollar ahead if you can get them to charge you the $20 ARS fee, over the same three items being charges by line item.
A.K.A VOS

#45 OFFLINE   truthseeker9569

truthseeker9569

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hi Volbeat,

I am in a similar situation and have not yet found the magic words to use on CS or Retention to get them to understand my request.

I was wondering about your outcome? Were you able to get the HR34 and NOT pay for whole home DVR? Did they let you self-install?

Thank you!

(My situation - in case anyone is interested):

My current set up is as follows:

One R16-300
One HR22
SWS8WB-P 8 way splitter
2 coax from splitter to dish
Ethernet to the HR22, connected to Internet

What I would like to have:
One HR22 (NOT connected to Internet)
One HR34 (Connected to Internet)
I do NOT want the two boxes networked - I want them completely separate
I do NOT want whole home DVR
No other TVs to connect, NO C31s, no nothing

Additional data:

I recently had a power supply on the HR22 go bad and had a technician out to replace it. While he was here, he checked the dish and signal strengths and he said the levels were near perfect.

All coax and televisions are easily accessible from dish to splitter and splitter to TVs. I can provide wired or wireless Ethernet to any location in the house easily and quickly (as this is what I do for a living).

Pressing "Dash" shows
SWiM Connected
Internet Connected

#46 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Hi Volbeat,

I am in a similar situation and have not yet found the magic words to use on CS or Retention to get them to understand my request.

I was wondering about your outcome? Were you able to get the HR34 and NOT pay for whole home DVR? Did they let you self-install?

Thank you!

I haven't actually ordered it yet....got real busy with my work this week, and have been getting home late. I may try tomorrow. The first retention person I talked to said it wouldn't even work without being connected to the internet(wrong), and the second time I talked to retention, the lady I got said there would be no problem simply swapping out one HR24 for a 34, no whole home, no client, nothing......a simple DVR swap. I will post back as to how it goes.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#47 OFFLINE   truthseeker9569

truthseeker9569

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

I ordered the HR34. They would absolutely not let it go out the door for self-install. They forced me to get real ugly with about 6 people before one of the retention people offered my install, CCK, plus HR34 for $199 all-in. Of course, she made the mistake of saying that the CCK was $49 of that deal and made matters worse for herself because I had to pick apart every penny of the $199 (did not intend to, but they infuriate me beyond my current capability to control the aggression). The CCK has been reported as free by multiple DTV sources AND it is clearly a revenue-generating device, so WHY would they be so stupid as to tell me they will charge me for it???

The tech arrived this morning at 9:22. By 9:35, The HR34 was installed, the DECA CCK was connected, and the Genie was alive and searching for satellite. The HR22 was relocated to the basement, connected and looking for signal by 9:42.

NO SWiM8 was installed, NO changes to the dish, NO changes to wiring of any kind. As I stated before, I had internet connected the the HR22, so no muss and no fuss with the Internet was encountered.

Most of the time of the install was spent waiting for the satellite to be found and authorizations to be pushed. The tech left at 10:07 after validating both receivers were operational and WHDVR was working. And then I disabled sharing playlists as I have no use for that feature.

I understand this will not be the case for a large percentage of installs. But this particular install in NO WAY required a professional installer. I maintain my disgust with the entire organization and their 3rd "World-class" customer service. If Dish were only just a tiny bit better, I would hopper on over there!

In my opinion, when they encounter jerks like me who want to self-install, they should send the unit out and inform the customer that if the customer messes it up or can't complete the install, sending a tech out will then be twice as much and at least a week out for scheduling. I would have taken that deal and been fine - and if not, I would accept the consequences.

#48 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

I ordered the HR34. They would absolutely not let it go out the door for self-install.

This makes absolutely no sense to me, because I could go to Solid Signal(or other sites), and buy one right now, then what would they do, not let me activate it over the phone??

I'm calling later today or tomorrow. They already told me I can just get the DVR, nothing else, and they would ship it to me. They supposedly put notes on my account specifying that too. We'll see.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#49 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

Just got off the phone with someone(not in retention), and I had called a number that was in an email saying they had a special offer for an equipment upgrade to thank me for me loyalty to Directv. Very frustrating talking to this woman, so I finally ended the call.

Told me that can't even process the order with out whole home service or the CCK. Also, it automatically generates a technician visit, which is $49. She told me she would waive the normal $199 fee, and give me the CCK, and she said the whole home service charge is automatically generated when an HR34 is ordered, no way around it, but I can cancel the whole home service anytime, and that will stop the $3 a month fee.

She also asked me if I had a wireless router. I said yes, why? She said the CCK is hooked up to the router, and that the HR34 has to be connected to the internet to work. :rolleyes:

I ended the call, and will try again......maybe get someone that actually knows how it all works.

Edited by Soulweeper, 23 December 2012 - 04:38 PM.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#50 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Hah!
Just called again, and the guy I talked to said whoever I talked to simply had wrong information, and that you don't need the CCK or Whole Home Service to have an HR34, and that he didn't have the authority to waive the $299 fee, but if I call back and talk to customer service, and have them refer to the notes on a certain date, it's right in the notes from retention that they offered to swap out my HR24 for a 34, for free.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#51 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

I ordered the HR34. They would absolutely not let it go out the door for self-install. They forced me to get real ugly with about 6 people before one of the retention people offered my install, CCK, plus HR34 for $199 all-in. Of course, she made the mistake of saying that the CCK was $49 of that deal and made matters worse for herself because I had to pick apart every penny of the $199 (did not intend to, but they infuriate me beyond my current capability to control the aggression). The CCK has been reported as free by multiple DTV sources AND it is clearly a revenue-generating device, so WHY would they be so stupid as to tell me they will charge me for it???

The tech arrived this morning at 9:22. By 9:35, The HR34 was installed, the DECA CCK was connected, and the Genie was alive and searching for satellite. The HR22 was relocated to the basement, connected and looking for signal by 9:42.

NO SWiM8 was installed, NO changes to the dish, NO changes to wiring of any kind. As I stated before, I had internet connected the the HR22, so no muss and no fuss with the Internet was encountered.

Most of the time of the install was spent waiting for the satellite to be found and authorizations to be pushed. The tech left at 10:07 after validating both receivers were operational and WHDVR was working. And then I disabled sharing playlists as I have no use for that feature.

I understand this will not be the case for a large percentage of installs. But this particular install in NO WAY required a professional installer. I maintain my disgust with the entire organization and their 3rd "World-class" customer service. If Dish were only just a tiny bit better, I would hopper on over there!

In my opinion, when they encounter jerks like me who want to self-install, they should send the unit out and inform the customer that if the customer messes it up or can't complete the install, sending a tech out will then be twice as much and at least a week out for scheduling. I would have taken that deal and been fine - and if not, I would accept the consequences.

Well, I have to assume that it's because I've been with them for 15 years, because I made one call to retention, and just like you, they won't allow self install, and the CCK is required, but they waived all charges for me, installation too. The tech is coming this Saturday, not a penny extra for me, including no change in my monthly fees. She said just to be safe, tell the tech not to activate the whole home service, and she said he most likely wouldn't, since he won't be setting all that up, but just to be safe. :)

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

spam firewall