Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Possibly upgrading to HR34, have a couple questions.

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 987 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

I ordered the HR34. They would absolutely not let it go out the door for self-install. They forced me to get real ugly with about 6 people before one of the retention people offered my install, CCK, plus HR34 for $199 all-in. Of course, she made the mistake of saying that the CCK was $49 of that deal and made matters worse for herself because I had to pick apart every penny of the $199 (did not intend to, but they infuriate me beyond my current capability to control the aggression). The CCK has been reported as free by multiple DTV sources AND it is clearly a revenue-generating device, so WHY would they be so stupid as to tell me they will charge me for it???

The tech arrived this morning at 9:22. By 9:35, The HR34 was installed, the DECA CCK was connected, and the Genie was alive and searching for satellite. The HR22 was relocated to the basement, connected and looking for signal by 9:42.

NO SWiM8 was installed, NO changes to the dish, NO changes to wiring of any kind. As I stated before, I had internet connected the the HR22, so no muss and no fuss with the Internet was encountered.

Most of the time of the install was spent waiting for the satellite to be found and authorizations to be pushed. The tech left at 10:07 after validating both receivers were operational and WHDVR was working. And then I disabled sharing playlists as I have no use for that feature.

I understand this will not be the case for a large percentage of installs. But this particular install in NO WAY required a professional installer. I maintain my disgust with the entire organization and their 3rd "World-class" customer service. If Dish were only just a tiny bit better, I would hopper on over there!

In my opinion, when they encounter jerks like me who want to self-install, they should send the unit out and inform the customer that if the customer messes it up or can't complete the install, sending a tech out will then be twice as much and at least a week out for scheduling. I would have taken that deal and been fine - and if not, I would accept the consequences.

Well, I have to assume that it's because I've been with them for 15 years, because I made one call to retention, and just like you, they won't allow self install, and the CCK is required, but they waived all charges for me, installation too. The tech is coming this Saturday, not a penny extra for me, including no change in my monthly fees. She said just to be safe, tell the tech not to activate the whole home service, and she said he most likely wouldn't, since he won't be setting all that up, but just to be safe. :)

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...