Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV customers authenticated now on Showtime Anytime

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

I watch HD download content on directv within minutes. I don't need roku for HBO2go.

Really Tony, within minutes? That's amazing - are you speaking of programs that are 30 mins or less? Anything over an hour takes forever on my end. Heck, I went for a PPV a month ago because I was sent a PPV voucher. I opted to go for the HD feed and pay an extra buck. Next thing I know an hour goes by and still the movie isn't ready to play without constant buffering/freezing.

I'll still stick up for Roku - that I know is faster and arguably more efficient than D* on demand. I have HBO GO for Roku and I get D* on demand for HBO and I'll take speed over anything in this day and age. I select the show/movie and hit play and it's there without any freezing/buffering.

If you have any tips to speed up D* on demand HD content downloads, I'm all ears.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Not very impressive at all. You have to sign in every time you use it, what gives? With HBO GO this isn't required. The quality is lackluster and you can't access all the episodes of every show. Weeds only lets you watch episodes from season 8, same as D* Sho Demand. HBO GO has every episode of every show that is listed in their catalog. At least the shows they have include ALL episodes.

Next weakness, no Roku channel available, albeit D* wouldn't allow it anyway. But it must be said that Roku is a better option for streaming content off the internet because you can instantly watch what you want. Isn't that the whole point of internet streaming? I'm not on dial up anymore and neither are you. D* on demand is horrible, it's super slow and forget downloading an HD title and expect to watch it within an hour or two. I don't even bother with it anymore. I get 36.16Mbps down and 31.82MBps up. I would imagine these numbers are speeds above the mean for all D* subs. Don't bother upgrading your speeds if you thing it will make a difference - it won't. The current platform D* offers is feckless.

And to those who make an argument for D*'s PQ over Roku: Sure it's better, but the point of an on demand service must be efficiency. I'll give up a little quality here and there for instant access. And let's be honest, the quality isn't terrible. BTW, HBO GO on the Roku has HD content that looks great and streams instantly. D* offers the same content, but it takes forever to download. Unfortunately, most D* subs would never know how much better the Roku is with HBO GO because D* prohibits you to have access. Expect the same when Showtime launches their official Roku channel. Once again, everything is ass-backwards.

I also watch D* on demand within minutes and that includes 2 hour movies. No issues, never stops...once I start I'm off and running. No pauses, no buffering, no studdering, etc. I'm only at about 14 Mbps down and absolutely no issues.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,486 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

I have 12/5 internet speed and can select most any on-demand HD and walk to the refrig to get a beer, come back and watch the entire HD with no pauses whether it's 30 minutes or 1:30.

And it's not that far to my refrig.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#24 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Showtime Anywhere doesn't work on Google TV, using the built in Chrome Browser. A screen pops up wanting me to download Flash Player, which is already installed. I get a message that it is already installed when I click on the install icon.

HBO and Cinemax both work fine on Google TV, using the same unit.

JUst loaded the app from the google play store, signed in, and works like champ on my JB Droid Razr M

Now to find my Galaxy Tab 2 7 and see how it work there.

No dice on the tablet.....says "This version is incompatible with your device".

Edited by sdirv, 07 December 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

I have 12/5 internet speed and can select most any on-demand HD and walk to the refrig to get a beer, come back and watch the entire HD with no pauses whether it's 30 minutes or 1:30.

And it's not that far to my refrig.

Yeah....I'm runnin 20mbps (down) broadband and after selecting a progam, I cn start watching in just a ew minutes and not hit a re-buffer

Edited by sdirv, 07 December 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,621 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

The catch to watching on demand is download let it sit there for a minute or two and start watching if you have decent HSI because watching while downloading is better than waiting to catch up or at least have enough in the buffer to watch.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#27 OFFLINE   TedBarrett

TedBarrett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

No Airplaying the video

Protected By... spam firewall...And...