Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is Directv still doing free HD for life promotion?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

You shouldn't even have to pay for HD to begin with, seems to me it's almost like paying $10 to receive the option of color TV instead of black and white, my local cable co doesn't charge anymore for the package or the receiver to receive all the HD channels that are available as standard channels.

Sure they do, it's just not a separate charge. It's included in the monthly fee.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

How much longer will they bother with dual SD/HD feeds of the same channels?

I realize there are many, many SD-only boxes in use, but eventually, wouldn't they want to move people to HD-capable boxes, and rely on the box to downres that HD signal to SD if being used with an older SD television? I would think dropping SD channels entirely would free up transponder space such that they could provide many additional HD channels that are currently only offered in SD.

But what do I know about it?

4-5 years
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

I realize there are many, many SD-only boxes in use, but eventually, wouldn't they want to move people to HD-capable boxes, and rely on the box to downres that HD signal to SD if being used with an older SD television? I would think dropping SD channels entirely would free up transponder space such that they could provide many additional HD channels that are currently only offered in SD.

I'm sure that they would love to, but what are you going to do for those of us who, because of LOS issues don't have access to HD service?

#24 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,944 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

It's not just LOS. Just this year in an FCC filing, they said that about half of their subscriberswere SD only (I think it actually said 60% of new subscribers had HD). Some of those have HD sets, others don't.

#25 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

I'm sure that they would love to, but what are you going to do for those of us who, because of LOS issues don't have access to HD service?

Interesting point. I hadn't considered the multiple LOS azimuths in play, some of which being obstructed for some people.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#26 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

The percentage of those that can get sd service but not hd because of LOS issues is very small.

#27 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

It's not just LOS. Just this year in an FCC filing, they said that about half of their subscriberswere SD only (I think it actually said 60% of new subscribers had HD). Some of those have HD sets, others don't.

There are many viewers out there that think they have HD service just because they bought an HD TV. I know a few that will swear up and down they have HD because they bought an HD set, but they are hooked up to an SD receiver or SD cable box.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#28 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

There are many viewers out there that think they have HD service just because they bought an HD TV. I know a few that will swear up and down they have HD because they bought an HD set, but they are hooked up to an SD receiver or SD cable box.

Amen..happens all the time.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#29 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Fo sho'.

But they do have a Hi-Def image of a Lo-Def input!!:lol:

So, the pixels' blurry mess is "sharper".....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#30 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

You would think they would notice the difference if they ever go into a Sears or Best Buy.

#31 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Also, hotels do a great job of having HDTVs...with SD signal. :rolleyes:
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#32 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Just got off the phone with Directv.....switched to Choice Extra, and they gave me $20 off for the next 12 months, and free DVR service for the next 12 months as well, so $28 a month off for the next 12 months.

Directv always comes through. :)

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#33 OFFLINE   erjs05

erjs05

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

My 2 years expired so I emailed them and stated I thought it was for life. I reminded them I was a long time customer and thought I deserved it. They responded that it was only for 2 years but would give me an additional 12 months, better than nothing.

#34 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Not much.

It would cost them a fortune to force SD-only customers (like ME) to HD equipment by coming out and installing a new dish and replacing my R15 DVR's.

Not only that, their current stupid mindset still considers the R22 an "SD receiver" and even if I OFFERED to purchase & install a new HD dish myself AND PAY THE $10 HD FEE to get HD they won't do it unless I add a clunker reconditioned HD box and commit for another 2 years. Smart, eh?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Well, Thomas, you could just bite the bullet and get the full upgrade. You can even specify the HR34 (Genie). You won't regret the PQ, and will wonder how you ever got by with SD.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#36 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

Actually went through the 24 months of HD Free (was introduced July 2010) and DirecTV has figured out a way to get around it - like anyone suspected they would not.

2 years ago their package included the service, a seperate DVR charge and a seperate HD charge. Now they roll that into one price as the Plus HD DVR package claiming they do not charge for HD Service any longer - its included in the package (though the price is the same as if you added up all the former charges together).

They then charge you an additional $4.99 for the HD Extra Channels and claim they were never part of the HD Free for life - that only included HD Service - though we all know thats BS.

Complain and go to rentention and you can get a $20 a month credit for 6 months - but that means you have to deal with it again in 6 months.

#37 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

Actually went through the 24 months of HD Free (was introduced July 2010) and DirecTV has figured out a way to get around it - like anyone suspected they would not.

2 years ago their package included the service, a seperate DVR charge and a seperate HD charge. Now they roll that into one price as the Plus HD DVR package claiming they do not charge for HD Service any longer - its included in the package (though the price is the same as if you added up all the former charges together).

They then charge you an additional $4.99 for the HD Extra Channels and claim they were never part of the HD Free for life - that only included HD Service - though we all know thats BS.

Complain and go to rentention and you can get a $20 a month credit for 6 months - but that means you have to deal with it again in 6 months.

I didn't complain at all, I just called and simply asked to renew my "HD for life", and they told me they don't do that anymore, but gave me the deal I posted a few posts back.

I've been with them 15 years, and I feel they always do something cool, that makes me stay. I don't hear those kind of stories with Dish, so I intend to stay where I'm at.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#38 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

I didn't complain at all, I just called and simply asked to renew my "HD for life", and they told me they don't do that anymore, but gave me the deal I posted a few posts back.

I've been with them 15 years, and I feel they always do something cool, that makes me stay. I don't hear those kind of stories with Dish, so I intend to stay where I'm at.

If you've been a customer since 15 years, then you never had free HD for life. They gave you free HD for 2 yrs with auto bill pay. Free HD for life was a promotion they were during only for new customers last year that they stopped doing as existing customers were calling in complaining new customers get free hd for life and I have to pay for it. If they gave you free HD for 2 yrs, then it is not renewable. Even retention can't give you that as an offer of free hd for life for existing customers never existed. Sorry.

#39 OFFLINE   prospect60

prospect60

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Just a heads up for those with the $10 HDTV credit on you bill -- check your Dec and January statements. I had my $10 Credit updated in September for an additional 24 months and was fine for the first 3 bills, but noticed this month it had mysteriously disappeared.

Called and talked to Retention and they couldn't figure out why it had been removed since there were no notes attached to my account explaining the removal though could easily find the September note re-upping for 24 months. Immediately gave me a $10 credit to cover the December charge and escalated the claim "upstairs" for a review or explanation. I haven't changed packages since I upped to Premier in August and have been on autobill since it existed. Hopefully to find out 'why' in a few days though the Holiday weeks aren't going to help the turnaround.

I really hope either I'm an isolated case so nobody else has to worry or else everybody got hit by the same glitch so it will get fixed faster.

#40 OFFLINE   neworder71

neworder71

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

So I signed up for D* back in June of 2010 when they were matching the HD for life discount form E*.

I read all the fine print like a lawyer, I have no trust for any company with monthly auto billing. Of particular interest is this quote from 2010:
"Beginning Saturday, June 5, DirecTV will extend its own free-HD program
to new customers who take the "Choice" programming package or higher,
enroll in auto-bill pay, and sign a two-year commitment, said spokesman
Robert Mercer. DirecTV's promotion will run for six weeks."

So on 2/5/13 I dropped from the Ultimate to the Xtra pack, thinking my bill would go down $4, but I lost the $10 discount so my bill went up!!! Who in their right mind would ever knowingly do this? They claim changing my pkg caused it but I changed to another qualifying pkg. Of course they couldn't reinstate. My case is getting escalated as we speak. They initially gave me a $10 credit for a yr, but I want my old permanent package back or I'm walking. I will not play this game with them.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...