Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Internet connection necessary?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jswatzell

jswatzell

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

I had another 211 connected today. Afterwards the tech asked if I have internet connected to any receiver. I don't so he said it's required for some reason and wants to come back tomorrow to make the connection. I've had dish for sometime now and all receivers work fine. I prefer not to have internet connected to prevent inadvertent ordering of ppv by grandson or someone. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? If I let him make the connection can I simply disable it after he leaves?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

Connecting receivers to the internet gets us installers bonus money. The receiver needs to stay connected for a week after the appointment to count. You could always just put a password requirement on the PPV stuff to prevent accidental ordering instead of disabling the internet connection.

#3 OFFLINE   Jason S@dish

Jason S@dish

• DISH Representative
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

Also the internet connection also allows us at DISH to check the health of the set top box. It can make troubleshooting 100% easier and quicker for both you and us. You can add the locks to the PPV through the receiver, or you can contact us and we can adjust the PPV limit to $0 so anything that is ordered has to be done over the phone with a representative.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

And your grandson could still order a few PPVs if you don't watch him... usually you can order at least a couple before the receiver will shut down if it can't report them.

So you really have to watch the young kids and don't let them accidentally order stuff.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#5 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Connecting receivers to the internet gets us installers bonus money. The receiver needs to stay connected for a week after the appointment to count. You could always just put a password requirement on the PPV stuff to prevent accidental ordering instead of disabling the internet connection.

I do the Lock PPV and Hide Adult options in the menu as a safeguard. I also block out channel 100 as well so a guest does not change options in the Dish account. Of course, someone could still take the time to figure out the four digit password.

I find that having the receiver connected to the Internet drains the Internet speed for some reason.

#6 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

Also the internet connection also allows us at DISH to check the health of the set top box. It can make troubleshooting 100% easier and quicker for both you and us. You can add the locks to the PPV through the receiver, or you can contact us and we can adjust the PPV limit to $0 so anything that is ordered has to be done over the phone with a representative.

Except the majority of agents are retarded or to lazy to check the stb health in tech portal, so even if the customer has it connected to the net the agent would probably still skip checking that.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

They can't require broadband, what if you did not have broadband? A POTS phone line is all that is needed, and only if there are more than one receiver on the account.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

spam firewall