Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Extra Pack Sales Trick

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   retired flyer

retired flyer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

I had a DTV message this morning saying the HD Extra Pack will be free 5-12 Dec. After 8 AM EST still no channels. Called CSR and the first statement was
"Why don't we give you free 3 months of HD Extra Pack?" This was the same sales trick played on me several months ago. Last time I took the free 3 months knowing that if you don't cancel brfore 3 months are up, you're automatically signed up and charged. This time I just asked to light up the channels and after she put me on hold, the channels lit up.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

I had a DTV message this morning saying the HD Extra Pack will be free 5-12 Dec. After 8 AM EST still no channels. Called CSR and the first statement was
"Why don't we give you free 3 months of HD Extra Pack?" This was the same sales trick played on me several months ago. Last time I took the free 3 months knowing that if you don't cancel brfore 3 months are up, you're automatically signed up and charged. This time I just asked to light up the channels and after she put me on hold, the channels lit up.

Just so you know, the customer has a trick for the HD extra pack too.;)
Lets just say you should have taken the 3 month offer. You can delete it from your account right online,and that when you'll see the Trick!:)

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Mine are grayed out also.
I don't care since I don't find anything there I want to watch.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   retired flyer

retired flyer

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

There will be a next time soon, I'm sure, we'll take them up on the offer.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

I talked to some shady characters at DIRECTV, this is being fixed.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Just so you know, the customer has a trick for the HD extra pack too.;)
Lets just say you should have taken the 3 month offer. You can delete it from your account right online,and that when you'll see the Trick!:)

That is not true for everyone. I have a grandfathered package and while I can add it via the webpage, I cannot remove it vie the webpage.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#7 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

I bet you could have reauthorized your card online and they would of showed up as well. Sounds like what they did.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#8 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

That is not true for everyone. I have a grandfathered package and while I can add it via the webpage, I cannot remove it vie the webpage.

But a quick call removes it without affecting the grandfathered package, and then strangely you can add... :)

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#9 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

I bet you could have reauthorized your card online and they would of showed up as well. Sounds like what they did.

'Fraid you'd lose the bet. I tried that, as well as rebooting my receiver, some time before Stuart's post. At first nothing was coming in, but over a period of several hours they started popping up one by one, apparently as D* fixed it.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#10 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

No trick, there was a systemic issue that didn't turn on the free preview at the right time. That was fixed early this morning and the free preview is up and running.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

Too bad the people who subscribe to the packages offered in free previews, don't get a credit for the days the channels are free.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#12 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

Too bad the people who subscribe to the packages offered in free previews, don't get a credit for the days the channels are free.

It would be a $0.83 credit I believe.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

I'm new enough that I haven't had an opportunity change any aspects of my service through online account management.

I've noticed, though, that some items appear grayed out, yet still seem to behave as if they're a valid link. For example, I have the NFL ticket on a promotional basis, but I won't be subscribing to that next year. If I look at that line online, it looks like the "Remove" link is actually a link, despite being grayed out in appearance, but I haven't tried it yet. I sort of figured it was meant to be a subtle way of trying to get people to leave it in place rather than dropping, etc.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Really? :nono2:

#15 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,084 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

It would be a $0.83 credit I believe.

Figured as much - an idea without real merit.

Since channels like Starz, HBO, and Showtime also do free previews periodically, the bookkeeping alone to do those minuscule adjustments seems foolish.

I'm all for getting a good deal...but trying to "trick" the system to get a few temporary benefits seems like questionable and not worthy of most people's time IMHO.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#16 OFFLINE   skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

But a quick call removes it without affecting the grandfathered package, and then strangely you can add... :)

That didn't work for me; I had to give up my grandfathered package in order to cancel the HD Extra Pack; so it ended up costing me quite a bit in the long run...

#17 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 476 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

There was a time that bothered me. Now, not so much.:nono2:

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#18 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

By that logic each time D* adds a channel they should increase your bill right away?

#19 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

You can get it for free for three months at a time.

#20 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

What a debate over $5 a month!

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

Protected By... spam firewall...And...