Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mitsubishi finally waves the white flag

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

Why do you want to gain viewing distance? Most people already sit too far from their displays. The objective should be to reduce viewing distance.

really? I guess the professional's that setup my home viewing area know less then you, I guess I should have hired you to come out and design the room, then you would have thought it was perfect. not..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,530 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

really? I guess the professional's that setup my home viewing area know less then you, I guess I should have hired you to come out and design the room, then you would have thought it was perfect. not..

+1......Some people are a legend in their own mind. :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#63 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

Well, if you classify yourself as sitting too far away from your display than I guess so.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#64 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Sure, it's possible, but I've never seen that scenario in any living room I've visited or photo I've seen.

Well, in my Family Room, with the way it is laid out, with a RPTV my viewing distance was under 7 feet, which is less than what would be normally recommended. With the replacement flat-screen wall-mounted, my viewing distance increased to just over 8 feet.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#65 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

False. Believe what you want to believe however. Your setup must look and sound awful.

So, which part are you disagreeing with?

The part where we have a harder time localizing sounds from above than below?

Here's a good old post from a gentleman at Audio Experts (Sam Stone), where I first read about the phenomenon, where he says this:

The center channel speaker should be located right OVER the viewing device. A little-known fact about human hearing is that we are very good at locating sounds that come from below ear level, but not when it's above ear level. So if you want your center channel dialog to sound like it's coming from the actor's mouths, located the center channel above the screen instead of below it (the ultimate is directly behind a perforated screen, like theaters do, but if you have a TV that's not possible).

Now, you could say it's just some guy on a message board, and that might be true, but Here's a paper on sound localization and about halfway down (10th paragraph), you'll find this:

In each trial a surface thatreflects sound was placed along a wall, the floor, or the ceiling. Itwas found that if the reflecting surface was on the ceiling, thesubjects could not locate the sound as effectively. While if it wereon the floor the subjects did significantly better at localizing.

which also supports this idea that we localize sound better from below than above. This is also the reason side and rear surrounds are placed above the ear (usually 2'). If the center channel is not on the same plane as the head, you don't want to be able to localize it, therefore above is better than below.

Or, were you disagreeing with the part where objects (coffee tables, etc.) are more likely to get in the way when a speaker is toward the floor versus above? If that's the case, you must have a strange layout with things hanging in mid-air in your room.

Now, if you have some anecdotal evidence to the contrary, by all means share.

#66 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

Well, in my Family Room, with the way it is laid out, with a RPTV my viewing distance was under 7 feet, which is less than what would be normally recommended. With the replacement flat-screen wall-mounted, my viewing distance increased to just over 8 feet.

- Merg

Sure, there's always specific contrary examples, but I'd say your situation is probably rare. And BTW, 7' of viewing distance is perfect for a 60" display (to get the full benefit of 1080p). 8' is the sweet spot for a 65".

#67 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,530 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

The bottom line is there are no true set of standards for viewing distances. Variances differ. Professional installers have their standards, manufacturer's have their standards, retailers theirs, THX theirs, ect., ect., ect.

#68 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

There might be variances, but Carlton Bale's standards for viewing distance, based on what the human eye can see, are pretty universally accepted.

#69 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,530 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

There might be variances, but Carlton Bale's standards for viewing distance, based on what the human eye can see, are pretty universally accepted.

So was the belief that the earth was flat. Personally I'd put him in that group I listed in post #67.

#70 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

spartanstew, in a half empty movie theater, do you say to those folks sitting in the first couple of rows, "You realize you're sitting too close, right? You really should move ten rows back."
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#71 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Nope, personal preference certainly comes into play (I tend to sit closer than recommended), but that doesn't have any effect on the standards.

If someone enjoys sitting 15' away from their 60" display, that's their choice, but they're not getting the full effect of 1080p when doing so - in fact, they're not even getting the full effect of 720p.

Some people like having their surrounds (in a 5.1 set up) directly behind the listening area (for many reasons), instead of to the sides of the listening area. That's OK too, but it's not the standard and any professional that set the room up would know that - just like a professional would know the optimal seating distance from the display.

#72 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Nope, personal preference certainly comes into play (I tend to sit closer than recommended), but that doesn't have any effect on the standards.

If someone enjoys sitting 15' away from their 60" display, that's their choice, but they're not getting the full effect of 1080p when doing so - in fact, they're not even getting the full effect of 720p.

Some people like having their surrounds (in a 5.1 set up) directly behind the listening area (for many reasons), instead of to the sides of the listening area. That's OK too, but it's not the standard and any professional that set the room up would know that - just like a professional would know the optimal seating distance from the display.

List your equipment.
DTV = Digital Television

#73 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Carrot length contest time

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#74 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

Well, if you classify yourself as sitting too far away from your display than I guess so.

pray tell, where exactly did I state that I was "sitting to far away from my display"? In those words, not a implied understanding of the reader

#75 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

pray tell, where exactly did I state that I was "sitting to far away from my display"? In those words, not a implied understanding of the reader

Why else would you think the professional's that set up your viewing area would know less than I?

I stated that most people sit too far away and the objective should be to reduce viewing distance.

You seemed to take offense at that, which could only mean you fit into that category. If you don't fit into that category (sitting too far away), than why would you reply?

If yours was set up correctly, than you would not be in the "most" category and my comments wouldn't even pertain to you, no?

Why do you want to gain viewing distance? Most people already sit too far from their displays. The objective should be to reduce viewing distance.

#76 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,819 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Why else would you think the professional's that set up your viewing area would know less than I?

I stated that most people sit too far away and the objective should be to reduce viewing distance.

You seemed to take offense at that, which could only mean you fit into that category. If you don't fit into that category (sitting too far away), than why would you reply?

If yours was set up correctly, than you would not be in the "most" category and my comments wouldn't even pertain to you, no?

I would have to say that was a good response.

And I do agree most people do sit too far away , but not so much because they are mis-informed, but maily their budget will only allow sub par equipment sizes based on their room and what is recommended.

To this day people buy 32 inch tvs as their main living room tv. And they think like wow, I got a 32.

I think i read somewhere, that the National average is below 40 inch on main viewing TVs.

I can't remember where I saw it , But I'll look for a link.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#77 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,819 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

Found it.!

http://www.nytimes.c...my-tv.html?_r=0

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#78 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

It is somewhat disappointing to hear this news from Mitz...especially since their HDTVs are known for having some of the greatest and most natural image reproduction out there....but technology moves on, so this version gives way to the newer wave.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#79 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

Mine is correctly setup - if your comments did not apply to me then why did you quote my response.

Personally I never "assume" anything with out sticking the word IN the sentence to verify it is a assumption and not a fact. As far as taking offense to your comments - not on the worst day in my life, again you are assuming.

You "assumed" in this reponse that I classified my self as sitting to far away - which I don't - I am "assuming" that you disagree with everything that does not fit your ideals from your responses

#80 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

They haven't been near the top of the industry for a long time. They weren't even the best DLP the last year they had competition, in 2008. They had become the budget conscious choice for people seeking large screens who didn't want a projector.
DTV = Digital Television

spam firewall