Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is DirecTV releasing customers of old equipment?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

I read some time back that DirecTV was, for example, no longer sending out kits for recovering older models like HR20s when sending replacement units. That sparked debate about their not doing anything in writing, or even email, to formally release the customer of this return requirement.

Has DirecTV changed this practice at all? As it stands now, no matter what they tell you verbally, per the T&C and/or equipment lease addendum, the customer has to send all leased receivere equipment back. If they are simply not sending a kit and/or verbally saying "we dont want it back", that does not exactly constitue a legal release IMO.

Just wondering, as my HR20-700 is now 5.5 years old.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,807 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

I read some time back that DirecTV was, for example, no longer sending out kits for recovering older models like HR20s when sending replacement units. That sparked debate about their not doing anything in writing, or even email, to formally release the customer of this return requirement.

Has DirecTV changed this practice at all? As it stands now, no matter what they tell you verbally, per the T&C and/or equipment lease addendum, the customer has to send all leased receivere equipment back. If they are simply not sending a kit and/or verbally saying "we dont want it back", that does not exactly constitue a legal release IMO.

When I upgraded to HD over 3 years ago they told me on the phone they did not want my old D11 receivers back. I asked the tech about it and he said to just throw them in the trash. I did.
I have not had a problem.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

If you would like something in writing just email them and wait for the response. They do not recover HR20 models. DirecTV is not out to get you if they tell you they don't want it back then they dont want it back. If you are suspect of that call again ask the same question if you get the same answer have them note your account then have them read the note back to you and then you are covered.

#4 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

I realize they are not going after people for all I know. It just seems they could easily give someone a release. That's all.

#5 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

To be skeptical is understandable.
I replaced a broken HR20-100 six or seven months ago with a HR-500.
The Directv rep told me on the phone they do not want the HR20 back.
It is still sitting in my basement in a box and I've been watching by monthly bill carefully waiting for the no return fee.
But it has never happened.

#6 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

What? The link is for Georgia Soccer.

#7 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

To be skeptical is understandable.
I replaced a broken HR20-100 six or seven months ago with a HR-500.
The Directv rep told me on the phone they do not want the HR20 back.
It is still sitting in my basement in a box and I've been watching by monthly bill carefully waiting for the no return fee.
But it has never happened.

Just go ahead and recycle it somewhere, you will be fine.

#8 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

What? The link is for Georgia Soccer.

That was fat fingering on the smartphone that then posted before i could stop it. I quickly edited that out.

#9 OFFLINE   Darth Malgus

Darth Malgus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

They will not provide you a release, however they do deactivate the receiver a certain way, that tells the system not to put a recovery out on the non-recoverable receiver. No NRF should apply if the rep who deactivated the receiver did it properly. If for some reason you do see a charge, you can have it reversed with a phone call to tech support.

#10 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

The receiver will always be leased. It will not be recoverable. There is a large difference between the two. The lease agreement states you may be charged a fee for not returning a piece of leased equipment that is requested to be returned. That receiver will not be asked.

They will not provide you a release, however they do deactivate the receiver a certain way, that tells the system not to put a recovery out on the non-recoverable receiver. No NRF should apply if the rep who deactivated the receiver did it properly. If for some reason you do see a charge, you can have it reversed with a phone call to tech support.

The agent deactivating the receiver doesn't need to do anything special or diffrent.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

I realize they are not going after people for all I know. It just seems they could easily give someone a release. That's all.

If you want something in writing, maybe the best bet would be to send them an email saying that you never received a recovery kit for your HR-20 and ask that they send one. They will likely send you an email saying that it doesn't need to be returned. You can then keep that email for your records.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...