Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

211 HD quality if poor

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Brightness and Contrast leave little to no room and are turned almost all the way up with the white scenes becoming gray vs white. Black is OK but murky black rahter than detailed black.

You could have the contrast or brightness turned up too much on the TV... many TVs come with these settings too high... perhaps your friend with the good looking cable HD has his TV adjusted for a better appearance.

I'm starting to think this is the issue. Turning the "sharpness" up on an HDTV actually tends to cause more artifacting than eliminating it like you think it would. Mine is almost all the way down.

mstar - try and find a Blu-ray or DVD with a THX optimizer feature on it and follow the instructions. This will help you properly calibrate your TV settings to see if that's the issue.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 887 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

mstar:

here are my panny settings, even though it is a higher end model, give it a try.
"Mode" setting- Never use "standard", it is Very dark, I like cinema or cutom.
color temp- warm 1
color management-off
CATS- off
Video NR- "weak" [ you might try med.]

If you have HDMI settings and "advanced" settings I can pass those on too.

contrast is 68, sharpness 42 . brightness at 60.

Settings are subjective, you have to find what suits you.

You have to realize though, that at some point the crt will expire. You don't have a lot of options, high cable bill, no OTA., and a sat picture you are not happy with. You also have a contract with Dish, right? If they will let you out, The other sat provider is your only option. You need to do some experimenting/exploring, so take your TV to your friend's, and try his set up. If he has plasma, look at his settings as well.

I'm not sure how much more info this forum can give you.

Good luck!

#53 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

Try Bloomberg. If that channel isn't sharp (except for the scrolling ticker at the bottom), then it is your TV. Also turn off all the image processing. Usually, it messes up the picture. There are some TVs that won't actually turn if off, even though it says "Off" (Sharp comes to mind), but it should minimize it.

Also some networks purposely blur the images of the faces of their hosts. The NBC Olympics was horrible for this. Maybe they were afraid we would see all their wrinkles. Their faces were literally SD quality. Sometimes, they would screw up, and another camera would catch them in HD, warts and all.

Also as a DIRT representative pointed out to me, some old movies are not scanned well into HD.

Michael

#54 OFFLINE   winman97

winman97

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Well we haven't heard anything in 3 weeks, so what's happening?
If you have a friend with Dish HD set up, why don't you take your 211 receiver there and do a fast change out to test the receiver under totally different enviroment. I have a vip211 and a vip222 and both perform flawlessly, One on a 50" plasma and one on a 40" LCD.

#55 OFFLINE   lonerwulf

lonerwulf

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

Omg just deal with it

Protected By... spam firewall...And...