Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Had to call for a dead DVR tonight

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

So I manage to go three years, almost to the exact date, without having to talk to these people. Tonight, right as the 8:00PM recording was to start, POP, black screen, dark DVR, bitter acrid smell in the room. The DVR is dead. Their automated system, carefully calibrated to pre-piss people off insists on responding to "dead DVR" with first a RBR, then a resend of my authorization. I'm steaming mad at this point. A couple dozen presses of 0 gets me a real person, a cheerful gal who understands what happened, and has a DVR shipping out to me with minimal fuss. Thank goodness for that. Meanwhile, company arriving in the AM, and no main TV for 2 days. That's not so good. Worse, just 4 days ago I killed the protection plan:lol: $20 for the lack of 4 days. Oh well.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#2 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

It's funny - looking at my records, it was Dec 2009 in this same location where my venerable HR20-700 died, and was replaced with this HR23-700 that just went poof.
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#3 OFFLINE   TMarshall

TMarshall

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

Your mentioning that made me think that I have had an HR20 since December of 2006 that is still chugging along. I did have one year that it sat in a closet while doing the cable TV thing, but otherwise it has been in constant use and survived two moves. Amazed the hard drive hasn't crapped out yet. Of course now I just jinxed it and will get to call tech support soon.

#4 OFFLINE   Podkayne

Podkayne

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

My HR20, circa July 2007, has been semi-retired in the upstairs Rec Room. With my kids grown up and moved out, nobody watches that TV anymore, but there's 2TB of programs on the external drive that I can watch from my HR 34 downstairs. I'll swap the HR20 for an H25 or a C31 if/when it croaks, or when we're finished with its shows, whichever comes first. The HR20 was a superb DVR, meeting all of my needs easily, until they downloaded that redoubtable high def graphical user interface to it and slogged it to its knees.

#5 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

I was thinking - this is a 2 day window to truly test out the OTA and NetFlix only combo I've been threatening to move to. Worked OK last night, after I remembered my NetFlix login :lol:

#6 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

DirecTV Representative: Thank you for calling DirecTV today. How may we help you?

JeffBowser: Well, earlier tonight, my DVR failed. There was a loud audible "POP" sound followed by a blank black screen, a puff of smoke, and an acrid odor in the room. Sure looks like a complete and total hardware failure.

DirecTV Representative: Thank you for providing that information. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Would you be interested in the NFL Sunday Ticket for a discounted price?

JeffBowser: Uh, no. I want to get this failed DVR replaced.

DirecTV Representative: Okay, thank you for providing that information. Alright, first, can you press the "menu" button on your remote?

JeffBowser: The screen is black! The DVR has failed. It is not going to display anything or respond to menu commands.

DirecTV Representative: If the screen is black, you might be having a problem with your television. I suggest you contact its manufacturer for technical assistance and troubleshooting. Thank you for calling Direc--

JeffBowser: No, no! I told you! The DVR failed internally! I can literally smell a failed component inside! The TV works fine with other sources.

DirecTV Representative: Do you have another HDMI cable you can try?

JeffBowser: Why yes, yes I do! I tried three cables before calling you.

DirecTV Representative: Hmm. It sounds like there may be a problem with your DVR. I would like for you to look for the red reset button behind a little door on the front of the unit. Go ahead and press tha--

JeffBowser: Ma'am, that's not going to work. It blew up inside! Smoke! Odor!

DirecTV Representative: Let me send a reauthorization signal to the unit. Sometimes that clears up these problems.

JeffBowser: The unit is not powered as I didn't care to burn down my house. But go ahead and send that signal if you must.

DirecTV Representative: Okay, I've sent the signal. Can you press the DASH key on your remote and tell me what it says on screen about your dish and switch configuration?

JeffBowser: There is no video! The box is off! It is dead! Will you please make arrangements to send me a replacement? I have guests this week and I would really like to have service again in my living room.

DirecTV Representative: I can get you a replacement. I can't guarantee what model you'll get. It might be new or it might be three years old. When you receive it, be sure to send the failed one back to us in the same box.

JeffBowser: Thanks.

DirecTV Representative: You're welcome. Thank you for calling DirecTV today. Is there anything else I can help you with?
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#7 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

Ha! I see you've been there done that. :lol::lol:

#8 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

There's an old saying; it's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't really understand it until it makes you cry.

#9 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

The geniuses at DirecTV that developed those scripts must have been watching Monty Python's Parrot sketch when they did so. :lol:

#10 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,595 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

You should probably scribble up an end-of-life plan for the replacement in late 2015/early2016.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Personally, I plan to buy my own DVR upgrade online eventually, but not until they design one that performs like a modern piece of hardware should.

#12 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

So much for "you'll have your receiver in 2 days". They didn't even ship it for 2 days. 5 days without my main TV is a bit much. I did, however, rediscover how much quicker the non-DVRs are when I stole my sons receiver to put in the main room.

#13 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 376 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

I called the other day as the "0" and "-" keys stopped working on my remote for the main TV...

Directv Rep: Thank you for calling Directv, how may i help you?

Me: I was just calling because the "0" and the "-" keys stopped working on my remote and i would like to have a replacement sent to me.

Directv Rep: Ok sir, but first lets try a few things.... Is there batteries in your remote?

Me: um yeah

Directv Rep: ok good! now lets try to reprogram the remote, that may clear up all your issues.. hit menu and press code "0001".

Me: umm that will not work as my "0" key is dead.

Directv Rep: okay, what i can do for you is offer you a replacement remote.

Me:"smacks head on wall" yes that is what i was calling for.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#14 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

I would rather spend $20 at Walmart or BestBuy than call those people... even if it leads to a free remote. I get they have to troubleshoot but some things are far too obvious.

Word of advice if Directv is reading, don't hire ignorant people to work in a technical environment. Just seems... wrong!

Note: "those people" was reference to tech agents who have no idea what you're referring to when you call in about a technical issue, please don't blast me :)

#15 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,223 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

I called the other day as the "0" and "-" keys stopped working on my remote for the main TV...

Directv Rep: Thank you for calling Directv, how may i help you?

Me: I was just calling because the "0" and the "-" keys stopped working on my remote and i would like to have a replacement sent to me.

Directv Rep: Ok sir, but first lets try a few things.... Is there batteries in your remote?

Me: um yeah

Directv Rep: ok good! now lets try to reprogram the remote, that may clear up all your issues.. hit menu and press code "0001".

Me: umm that will not work as my "0" key is dead.

Directv Rep: okay, what i can do for you is offer you a replacement remote.

Me:"smacks head on wall" yes that is what i was calling for.

At least you managed to get the CSR off his/her script rather quickly. I had a similar experience with a bad remote a couple years ago. It took less than two minutes for the call, including wait time. I was happy...:)

My call about the Sonic Tap music channels was even shorter.

Me: I cannot receive certain Sonic Tap channels on my DVR?
Rep: What's Sonic Tap?
Me: Never mind. Goodbye.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#16 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 679 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

I just spent literally 30 minutes with the Technical Department regarding a remote that is old and a few of the keys require multiple presses before they eventually work. It's insane that DirecTV is paying a tech to spend 30 minutes on the phone with me, going through an endless checklist, before agreeing that "yes, the remote has a problem" and ordering a new one for me.

It's also a serious PITA for the customer since, as I told him, I have the same problem using that remote on both of my tvs, so it's clearly a remote issue and has nothing to do with the receiver, as he's doing a remote RBR and we both get to wait 10 minutes for that to complete.

This is 30 minutes of both our time (and his is expensive to DirecTV) for a $15 remote.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#17 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

I think every employee for directv should be given a free dvr when they get hired so they would at least use the product and know what people are talking about when they call in with a problem!

#18 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

TMan, you nailed it!!

That is So Funny but True!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#19 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

I think the major issue with D* is that they probably make their CSRs follow a script and not to think. I've been trying to get a defective DVR that has a bad tuner replaced for the past 3 years with the protection and they won't do it. They think because it works after a reboot it's fixed. I am stuck with the box till it burst up in flames.
my setup here

#20 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Won't boot and smells like something is burned. Problem solved

spam firewall