Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whats the difference between DVD-R

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tuna12

tuna12

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 11:37 PM

Whats the difference between DVD-R 2x writeable vs. 4 x's writeable blank disc's. I can buy 25 4x's writeable at Best Buy for $1.61 per disc or 2x's writeable for $1.00 per disc. Both are 4.7 GB capacity. Is there a link that will help educate me?
Thank You,
Chuck Brook

PS. I got a Panasonic DVD Recorder with 80 GB hard disc for christmas and am still learning. It's a steep learning curve. I just finished hooking it up to my Sat. reciever(dish 508 pvr), an A/V receiver and a VCR and a sony 36" wega. What a job that was.
Chuck B.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   digital223

digital223

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 02:13 PM

Whats the difference between DVD-R 2x writeable vs. 4 x's writeable blank disc's. I can buy 25 4x's writeable at Best Buy for $1.61 per disc or 2x's writeable for $1.00 per disc. Both are 4.7 GB capacity. Is there a link that will help educate me?
Thank You,
Chuck Brook

PS. I got a Panasonic DVD Recorder with 80 GB hard disc for christmas and am still learning. It's a steep learning curve. I just finished hooking it up to my Sat. reciever(dish 508 pvr), an A/V receiver and a VCR and a sony 36" wega. What a job that was.

Hey tuna12,
don't despair, your doing great.
re: dvd x=speed or as it is sometimes called spin. the higher the number the faster the transfer of data, audio or graphics. therefore the higher the spin the more the disk will cost. but don't buy anything faster than the speed of your dvd drive.
TDK has a great site for getting your feet wet on learning and burning. They even describe how to transfer vinyl to cd-r or dvd r, media !
not too many people use "TRUE" cd-rw or dvd-rw media and applications.
I think it is great and have been using the same 2 or 3 cd-rw disks for years.
The concept is called packet writing....no visible software is used. Windows Explorer is opened and files, folders and graphics are burned instantaneously to the cd-rw or dvd-rw via the "drag and drop" procedure.
so when you do a download to your hard drive, once the download is completed, you can copy or move it to your removable rw-media. This is a safety procedure [archiving]in case of a crash....you wouldn't want to download again....just open the file from the rw disk. also if you no longer need the file or folder you can delete it from the disk to free up space.
Think of it as a large floppy disk or a small hdd, you can read and wRite many times, whereas on a cd-r or dvd-r you can Write Once and Read Many times.
WORMs.
Good luck and have fun with your new toys.
Richard :)

#3 OFFLINE   retiredTech

retiredTech

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 09:50 PM

Thank You,
Chuck Brook

the letter "x" stands for "times (real-time) speed" (also applies to Cd's)

ie DVD-R 2x means the disc is "capable" of two times (reg speed)
record should take only half of real time

DVD-R 4x means the disc is "capable" of four times (reg speed)
record should take only quarter of real time

of course the "burner(recorder)" must be able use this speed
ie a 4x burner can burn at 4x with 4x media but a 2x burner will still only burn at 2x even with 4x media

unless you are in a hurry get the "best priced" media that works in your burner. (also some burners have more errors at higher speed, so speed isn't always the way to go)

And remember to check your owners manual as what media your unit can use.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...