Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mysterious DVR on Whole Home through DECA

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ZandarKoad

ZandarKoad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

I'm totally stumped on this one guys. I've got a service call today that I've been trying to fix for three days, and I can't figure it out. I feel like I'm working for Dish Network again. :D

SO, what happens is whenever the customer connects his (non-wireless) cinema connection kit (DECA) into his internet, another DVR shows up on his whole home network. The DVR has the name 356527. This DVR has it's own set of recordings, which will show up in his list. Moreover, while he can delete these items, SOMEONE ELSE CAN ALSO DELETE HIS ITEMS, and does so at random. It's almost like he's getting connected to someone else's account through the cinema connection kit! :eek2: When he disconnects the DECA kit, all problems disappear. His to-do list is not affected at all.

He has one HR24, two H25s, he's in a single family home, no other DVRs listed on his account (I verified through corporate), no other IRDs on the coax network. The ONLY INTERNET DEVICE IN HIS HOME is the DECA kit, and he STILL has the same problems. His internet provider is the local power company, so he doesn't even need a modem - he plugs an ethernet straight into the wall jack for internet - NO ROUTER OR SWITCH. Though he has tried using both a wireless router and a switch, to no avail.

I'm going out there today to replace his DVR since I have no clue what else to do. I don't think that will fix it, and neither does the customer, but what more can a tech do???

Any ideas? :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 569 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

I'm totally stumped on this one guys. I've got a service call today that I've been trying to fix for three days, and I can't figure it out. I feel like I'm working for Dish Network again. :D

SO, what happens is whenever the customer connects his (non-wireless) cinema connection kit (DECA) into his internet, another DVR shows up on his whole home network. The DVR has the name 356527. This DVR has it's own set of recordings, which will show up in his list. Moreover, while he can delete these items, SOMEONE ELSE CAN ALSO DELETE HIS ITEMS, and does so at random. It's almost like he's getting connected to someone else's account through the cinema connection kit! :eek2: When he disconnects the DECA kit, all problems disappear. His to-do list is not affected at all.

He has one HR24, two H25s, he's in a single family home, no other DVRs listed on his account (I verified through corporate), no other IRDs on the coax network. The ONLY INTERNET DEVICE IN HIS HOME is the DECA kit, and he STILL has the same problems. His internet provider is the local power company, so he doesn't even need a modem - he plugs an ethernet straight into the wall jack for internet - NO ROUTER OR SWITCH. Though he has tried using both a wireless router and a switch, to no avail.

I'm going out there today to replace his DVR since I have no clue what else to do. I don't think that will fix it, and neither does the customer, but what more can a tech do???

Is it possible he has a neighbor who has found his way (via wireless) onto his network?

Sorry, I should have read the whole post. It might be possible that he has a neighbor with teh same internet service and their networks somehow got mixed together.

#3 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

Weird configuration. I never heard of internet coming into a house with no kind of modem or router.........

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

A switch isn't going to do any good, but a router should.

One of this customer's neighbors also has DirecTV and without a router, the two customers are sharing through the power line network.
You will see the same thing with apartments on a SWiM and no BSF, or in a single home where most are on DECA and another is wired through their router.
"I imagine" when the wireless router was tried, the ethernet had the outbound cable connected to the inside ports, thus is was only acting like a switch.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

A switch isn't going to do any good, but a router should.

One of this customer's neighbors also has DirecTV and without a router, the two customers are sharing through the power line network.
You will see the same thing with apartments on a SWiM and no BSF, or in a single home where most are on DECA and another is wired through their router.
"I imagine" when the wireless router was tried, the ethernet had the outbound cable connected to the inside ports, thus is was only acting like a switch.

I would think then a simply BSF where the Directv cable enters the home would fix this right? However, I agree, I'd definitely want a router with a good firewall turned on. If neighbors can see what's on their Directv receivers, no reason to think they can't see EVERYTHING that's connected to the internet.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

I would think then a simply BSF where the Directv cable enters the home would fix this right?

It's almost like he's getting connected to someone else's account through the cinema connection kit! :eek2: When he disconnects the DECA kit, all problems disappear.... he's in a single family home.

Doesn't sound like this is a coax bridging issue.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Since there is Ethernet directly into the house, a router is needed. The WAN port on the router will plug into the power company connection and the LAN port will be where the DECA device attaches. That should solve the problem.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Since there is Ethernet directly into the house, a router is needed. The WAN port on the router will plug into the power company connection and the LAN port will be where the DECA device attaches. That should solve the problem.

I would think. Just make sure firewalls are tuned on, and lock down wireless with WPA2.

#9 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

I would think. Just make sure firewalls are tuned on, and lock down wireless with WPA2.

It doesn't have to be a wireless router.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

It doesn't have to be a wireless router.

No, it doesn't have to be a wireless. At this point, I'd get a wireless though because more and more devices are becoming wireless only. Might as well "Future Proof" (As much as you can anyway lol) if you can.

#11 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

He should contact his ISP. With a cable or DSL provider, your individual segment of the network (from the modem inward) would be logically separated from all of your neighbors. Sounds like the local power company has just dumped everyone on one big subnet. This is a bigger issue than his DVR, that also means that others theoretically could see other traffic from his network or probe other devices like computers, etc. Must be a small co-op or municipal utility to screw up that bad.

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

He should contact his ISP. With a cable or DSL provider, your individual segment of the network (from the modem inward) would be logically separated from all of your neighbors. Sounds like the local power company has just dumped everyone on one big subnet. This is a bigger issue than his DVR, that also means that others theoretically could see other traffic from his network or probe other devices like computers, etc. Must be a small co-op or municipal utility to screw up that bad.

About 15 years ago, I had an early cable modem internet.
They had the same problem.
They used static IPs and you could find all the computers in the neighborhood running off the same fiber node.
Windows networking would even let me into some and copy files. :eek2:
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   ZandarKoad

ZandarKoad

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

Doug,that solved the problem. You win money. Or at least my gratitude.

#14 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Although I completely agree that the ISP doesn't have things set up the way they should, at some point you have to remember that it's not the ISP that's responsible for your security, it's you.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#15 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Although I completely agree that the ISP doesn't have things set up the way they should, at some point you have to remember that it's not the ISP that's responsible for your security, it's you.

Oh, no doubt. Even with ISP segmenting networks appropriately, you are still exposed to the internet without a firewall. However, the ISP is still misconfigured and someone should let them know. Imagine how many of their customers don't have a situation like this arise or don't know any better.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...