Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Disconnected HR20 and Close Captioning?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

I replaced my HR20 with an HR34 but I had an esata drive on the HR20 with plenty of programs to watch. No problem, though it's permanently searching for signal, I can still watch what's on the esata via the HR20.

I have noticed one problem. Closed captioning on my HR20 programs no longer works. I turn it on, either the regular or DTV version, but no closed captions.

Aren't the captions recorded with the program? Why would the HR20 need to be connected for the captioning to work?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

They are. CC is encapsulated in the program stream. How we decode them may be what is in question.

Since DTV employs an interface that invokes a custom setting for their version of how it is displayed, that same interface may be what is causing decoding to not work at all. The fact that the unit is disconnected is probably just coincidental, but who really knows? (other than Engineers who designed and installed that interface into the OS).

If they require a connection to the mother ship for CC to work, that is probably by design, and who understands why they would need that, other than them? Technically, there is no reason why a normal, working CC decoder would not decode and display CC without such a connection, which implies that they may have put that in the requirements on purpose. To what end? Again, same answer: Who knows?

And, it may just be that your CC coincidentally just stopped working in that box. Since the decoder probably runs as a process or service, it could have just spontaneously quit, and a reboot in that case should bring it back. If it doesn't, get out the tin-foil hats, because they may have told that process not to launch without a good sat connection.

If it is still authorized, a reboot while connected might also fix it (you should be able to then disconnect it again and still keep CC). If it is not still authorized, there will come a time out point where the shows are not viewable anyway. I have heard as little as 13 hours. In my case I had a dying HR that still would play, and I played back for 4 or 5 days using it, never reaching the time out.

I guess the idea is to not make the box a target for thieves, and to not allow us to take the box very far from home for very long. Of course there is the possibility of having your power out for a very long time from a hurricane (sound familiar?) and once the power goes back on there is a flood of calls to reauthorize boxes in the area. DTV wants to make that time as short as possible for security and as long as possible for overhead reasons, but those concepts are in conflict with each other. After hurricane Sandy they may be more interested in making the time out longer.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...