Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie setup questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mill4023

mill4023

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

We just dumped TWC and went back to DTV and I have a couple questions.
We've got the HR34 and 3 mini clients.

If we want to move the HR34 to a different location and swap it with one of the mini clients, is it as simple as just swapping boxes? Or is there some other setup that needs to be done?

When I signed up, I hadn't realized that the clients connecting to the DVR wouldn't have their own tuners. There will probably be times when we are recording 4 or 5 shows at once and I don't like that fact that the other TV's won't be able to watch anything.

So what are the options if we want the other TV's to have their own tuner? Can we just replace the mini clients with a standard receiver?
If we do, is that just a matter of swapping the box or is there additional setup/install that needs to be done?
Can the standard HD receivers connect to the Genie just like a mini client?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

Change out the clients with HD receivers and then you can view Live channels while the genie uses the other tuners to record.

your current system can handle 8 Tuners

GENIE=5
HD receiver =1

Your 3 clients changed to HD receivers = 3 so you will be maxed out. (not problem)

Or add 1 HDDVR & 1 HD Receiver.

HDDVR =2

Move the Genie any where you wish.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

When I signed up, I hadn't realized that the clients connecting to the DVR wouldn't have their own tuners. There will probably be times when we are recording 4 or 5 shows at once and I don't like that fact that the other TV's won't be able to watch anything.

Thanks

While the clients don't have any tuners, if all five are in use, a client will still let you watch "something".
They will turn on and be tuned to one of the channels that's being recorded. You won't be able to change channels without canceling a recording, but you will be able to watch any recording.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

You can't select another tuner to join???

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

You can't select another tuner to join???

I don't understand your question, so maybe if I restate what does happen it will help:

When the HR34 has all the tuners in use, and you turn on a C31, it will pick a tuner that is recording.
Trying to change channels, [even one that is doing another recording] brings up a screen showing which tuners are doing what and you select which recording to cancel so it can change to the channel you wanted.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   mill4023

mill4023

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

Thanks everyone. That helps.

#7 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

I don't understand your question, so maybe if I restate what does happen it will help:

When the HR34 has all the tuners in use, and you turn on a C31, it will pick a tuner that is recording.
Trying to change channels, [even one that is doing another recording] brings up a screen showing which tuners are doing what and you select which recording to cancel so it can change to the channel you wanted.

Can you just join a different channel that's in use, without cancelling a recording?

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Can you just join a different channel that's in use, without cancelling a recording?

Not at this time.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall