Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Install - Nervous and some questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JonBlack

JonBlack

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

Here's some basic background. I'm switching over from E* after almost 8 years of service. E* has treated us right and we've enjoyed being a customer. We've never really considered switching providers until we purchased new HDTVs for our home over Black Friday weekend. Due to our growing family needs we decided to get a whole home DVR system and HDTV available in all rooms. E* has the Hopper and they made us a very reasonable offer to upgrade but couldn't really help us out on the programming. We have Uverse internet service but I'm not impressed with their TV services.

To make a long story short, we looked into D* and the Genie/C31 setup seemed perfect for our needs. I ordered it on Tuesday and the install is Friday (tomorrow). We're getting the Genie, four C31 clients and the D* CCK.

We're scheduled from 12-4 and I'm very nervous about the install tomorrow. Mainly, I'm concerned about getting a bad or sub-par installer. I'm also concerned about an installer showing up, no-show or cancel, since I'm taking off of work for the install. I've had E* out about 5 times over the years for different things and 2 techs (initial installer and the tech who installed a new dish for HD were great). Two of the other three were OK and the third was very young and was so-so but not bad.

Is there anything I can look at to see if the installer is rushing the job too much or cutting corners? Are the installers for D* usually accommodating? One of the E* installer actually tucked the wire underneath part of the soffit (very easy to do) instead of nailing it up there. I think the D* dish will probably go on the other side of the house and would like for the installer to do the same thing.

Also, I have RG59 feeding the non-primary TVs. RG6 feeds the main TV area where the Genie will go. Is this a problem? I've read that using RG59 for the C31's is acceptable then I read that an installer can baulk at it. What is the official policy on this? I'd love to replace the RG59 but I know that the E* installers didn't want to mess with it. I don't blame them, since I live on a slab brick house and most of the cables are on the outside wall.

Finally, we are going to try and connect the CCK through coax in the study where a TV and our router is located at. Will the CCK work over RG59? We requested that the installer bring a wireless CCK too but we'll see how that goes.

Any other advice, etc. for us?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DTV101412

DTV101412

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

First things first. You can only use 3 of the 4 C31's at one time. The RG59 will need to be replaced if not your just asking for trouble "SFS". The CCK is also the same with the 59. It may cost you to change to RG6 but worth it unless you just want to take another day off to have yet another tech come out. Most "D" techs are great. Hope all goes well.

#3 OFFLINE   DTV101412

DTV101412

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

So what I'm trying to say is if the tech uses the 59 then you will know if you got a good tech or not :)

#4 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 835 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Yes if the RG59 can be replaced easily then replace but if it takes wrapping the house with cable then I would forgo replacing it and it will work just fine in almost all cases. Make sure you have a solid copper cable from the dish to the splitter/ground then solid copper from the splitter/ground to your power inserter. This post above was obviously "trained that RG59 will BURN UP or something" but like I said it will work fine unless you have runs that are really long. You do wont to make sure all the RG59 has good connectors.

#5 OFFLINE   DTV101412

DTV101412

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Wasn't trained that 59 will "burn up". 9 out of 10 homes with 59 are old and likely worthless cable. Not to mention that the if the installer cares at all about a QC he would change them out. But I it works then knock your self out.

#6 OFFLINE   JonBlack

JonBlack

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Thanks folks!

We are aware of the limitations of using that many C31's. We picked four C31's mostly for convenience of not having to move the client from room to room. We shouldn't ever need more than three tuners in use at once with the C31's. It shouldn't be an issue for us.

Also, it would be extremely difficult to replace the RG59. If it wasn't, I would've have replaced it when we moved in the house back in 2005 and got E*.

I can rig up some RG6 for 2 out of the 4 rooms in question. The other two will be very tough. The RG59 was installed in a house that was built in 2001. Go figure! Still, if I think we can get it working with the RG59, then I'm going to find a way to fish that wiring some way, some how. But I assure you that the tech isn't going to do it with a standard install and I don't blame them.

Edited by JonBlack, 06 December 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   JonBlack

JonBlack

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

I lost some sleep last night and my worries over the installer were for not. We ended up with a great installer from Mastec!

The first thing he did was check the locations where the boxes were going inside. After that, he brought up the issues with having 4 C31's and only being able to use 3 tuners with them at once. He said we could get a H25 if we wanted and was super thorough in discussing the pros and cons of both using a fourth C31 and a H25. Also, I brought up the RG59 wiring and CCK issues I was concerned over. He said the next step was to test the RG59 lines and go from there. Also, he said he carried both wired and wireless CCKs on his van, so that wasn't a real issue. He offered to take the LNB off of the E* dish and/or the whole dish assembly minus the mounting bracket if we wanted. He even explained that E* would most likely want the LNB back. Also, I asked him about RF remote for a TV that was going to be wall mounted and the C31 hidden. He said, he had both remotes and would get whichever remote we need for our TVs.

We obviously worked everything out and with the small wireless issue we had it took about 4 fours for our tech to complete the install. After he finished everything I told how much we appreciated his work and I gave him a tip. We are very happy with the results! I'll be sending a very positive email to the field supervisor, office supervisor and D* this weekend.

I didn't have any complaints with E* and it actually breaks my heart to leave them after almost 8 years of service. It may seem odd to folks but I'm loyal like that, especially to a company that has done us right over the year. Anyway, I called E* this evening and cancelled our service. Although I gave them a chance earlier this week to keep us, they did offer us a great deal on the Hopper hardware but no so much on the programming discount. When I cancelled, they gave us exactly what we wanted on the programming discount. I let the very friendly CSR know that if they would've offered us this discount earlier in the week that we would probably still be E* customers. She said she understood and asked us to keep them in mind in the future, when we decide to shop around.

#8 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,329 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

I lost some sleep last night and my worries over the installer were for not. We ended up with a great installer from Mastec!

The first thing he did was check the locations where the boxes were going inside. After that, he brought up the issues with having 4 C31's and only being able to use 3 tuners with them at once. He said we could get a H25 if we wanted and was super thorough in discussing the pros and cons of both using a fourth C31 and a H25. Also, I brought up the RG59 wiring and CCK issues I was concerned over. He said the next step was to test the RG59 lines and go from there. Also, he said he carried both wired and wireless CCKs on his van, so that wasn't a real issue. He offered to take the LNB off of the E* dish and/or the whole dish assembly minus the mounting bracket if we wanted. He even explained that E* would most likely want the LNB back. Also, I asked him about RF remote for a TV that was going to be wall mounted and the C31 hidden. He said, he had both remotes and would get whichever remote we need for our TVs.

We obviously worked everything out and with the small wireless issue we had it took about 4 fours for our tech to complete the install. After he finished everything I told how much we appreciated his work and I gave him a tip. We are very happy with the results! I'll be sending a very positive email to the field supervisor, office supervisor and D* this weekend.

I didn't have any complaints with E* and it actually breaks my heart to leave them after almost 8 years of service. It may seem odd to folks but I'm loyal like that, especially to a company that has done us right over the year. Anyway, I called E* this evening and cancelled our service. Although I gave them a chance earlier this week to keep us, they did offer us a great deal on the Hopper hardware but no so much on the programming discount. When I cancelled, they gave us exactly what we wanted on the programming discount. I let the very friendly CSR know that if they would've offered us this discount earlier in the week that we would probably still be E* customers. She said she understood and asked us to keep them in mind in the future, when we decide to shop around.

Glad the transition worked out for you. Now you can relax and enjoy DirecTV.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#9 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

Let us know when the HR34 and clients slow to insufferable sluggishness.

Fresh off a red button reset of my HR34 this morning after it ignored the remote and a C31 failed to provide output.

In a short time, I have become a cynic about DirecTV equipment and how it performs like it was ten years old.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#10 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Fresh off a red button reset of my HR34 this morning after it ignored the remote and a C31 failed to provide output.

In a short time, I have become a cynic about DirecTV equipment and how it performs like it was ten years old.

Teething pains, as so many have put it.

#11 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,425 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

So did you get the H25, or stick with 4 C31's?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#12 OFFLINE   JonBlack

JonBlack

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

Glad the transition worked out for you. Now you can relax and enjoy DirecTV.

That's what we've been trying to do :). We're still learning the D* system. It's similar to E* but yet a lot different. I'm sure in a couple of weeks it'll all work itself out.

I'm telling you straight up that our 722's that we've used over the years turned into dogs (all 3 of them). The RF remote would take 8-10 seconds to respond at times. Sometimes it wouldn't respond at all. I've read the stories of the HR34 remote performance issues. We'll just have to roll with the punches.

So did you get the H25, or stick with 4 C31's?

We ended up going with the 4th C31. Our installer brought up all of the pros/cons of the H25 vs. the 4th C31 that were listed here. We realized the limitations of only having three C31s active at once but we decided that we needed the full DVR functionality over the 6th tuner.

spam firewall