Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV tour from solidsignal

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Agree, Like I said there far less games on NFL Sunday Ticket now, then there ever has been. Thats going to mean something to Directv and its customers .

Directv isn't going to see the value is spending Billion on something thats quite frankly, NOT really exclusive IMO.

I've had Dish and Cable, both had Red Zone.
Plus the now 13 games on NFL network.
NBC has 18 with Thanksgiving Night.
ESPN has 17 with their 2 monday night games week one. And Saturday Night game.
And 2 Thanksgiving day games.

3 local games every sunday for 17 weeks

You don't need ST to see any of these.

101 games you don't need Sunday Ticket for.:eek2:

You're ignoring the amount of money made off of and number of customers brought in by Sunday Ticket.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

The NFL wants to protect their broadcast partners. One provider...that's it. Other providers have been able to bid in the past. It is DirecTV's golden goose. .

There are only 3 providers that are Big enough to Bid on NFL ST Comcast, Dish and Directv.

And why would Comcast and Dish ever pay the Billions for that? They wouldn't!
NFL will be asking themselves, why should we be exclusive to 20 million customers, when we could be open to 100 million.

And Directv is going to ask themselves, why would we pay Billions for it when we are only giving it away for free, because we never got above a 1/4 of our customers to pay for it.;)

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#23 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

You're ignoring the amount of money made off of and number of customers brought in by Sunday Ticket.

Its not as many as you think, I remember seeing some less then 2 million. And Directv is basicly giving it away to everyone this year. Which tells me the end is near.

But it was a nice Directv Tour (:)Solid Signal)

That place is amazing.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

#24 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

There are only 3 providers that are Big enough to Bid on NFL ST Comcast, Dish and Directv.

And why would Comcast and Dish ever pay the Billions for that? They wouldn't!
NFL will be asking themselves, why should we be exclusive to 20 million customers, when we could be open to 100 million.

And Directv is going to ask themselves, why would we pay Billions for it when we are only giving it away for free, because we never got above a 1/4 of our customers to pay for it.;)

You are forgetting a provider.

The NFL won't be asking themselves that...they are the ones who want it to be exclusive to one provider due to their incredibly important and lucrative agreements with network broadcast partners.

DirecTV does very well off of their deal for ST, especially with bars/restaurant subs and in retaining/gaining customers.
DTV = Digital Television

#25 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

They have no network broadcast partners in Canada to worry about or rely on.

They do, but it isn't as complex as it is in the USA with 400+ stations to keep track of. CTV, Citytv and Rogers Sportsnet carry games that are picked in advanced. CTV has the 1pm game and does it regionally where Toronto gets Buffalo, Ottawa, Quebec and the maritimes get New England, Windsor and Southwest Ontario get Detroit, western canada gets Seattle. Citytv usually picks up regional coverage of the national 4pm broadcast while Rogers SportsNet carries one of the other 4pm games. TSN has the rights to Sunday and Monday night football. The NFL Network carries the Thursday night game. Their version of Sunday ticket gets the rest.

If the imported CBS or Fox station carries one of the CTV, Citytv or SportsNet games, they get blacked out and replaced with the Canadian network carrying the game.

Edited by KyL416, 06 December 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

Its not as many as you think, I remember seeing some less then 2 million. And Directv is basicly giving it away to everyone this year. Which tells me the end is near.

But it was a nice Directv Tour (:)Solid Signal)

That place is amazing.

...you need to do some research on this. The money maker for ST is the bar/restaurant subs and pick up of new customers under a two year commitment. Giving it to new customers for "free" is a lucrative tool.
DTV = Digital Television

#27 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

You are forgetting a provider.

The NFL won't be asking themselves that...they are the ones who want it to be exclusive to one provider due to their incredibly important and lucrative agreements with network broadcast partners.

DirecTV does very well off of their deal for ST, especially with bars/restaurant subs and in retaining/gaining customers.

I just read an artical from April 2012 from Bloomberg, that Pegged Directv ST subscriber at 2.5 Million total that pay. They also claimed that Directv would also have to add 750,000 more paying subscribers into 2013, Just to break even this season.

Thats total Customers!

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

#28 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

If cable ever got the chance to bid on it in the USA, it would likley be Sports iNDemand handling it, which is run by Comcast, Time Warner and Cox.

However viewers would likely be pissed with their version of blackouts. They can't do it on the market level like DirecTV, they handle blackouts based on the headend level, and every team that has territory in a system served by the headend has to be blacked out. For suburban and rural cable systems on the outskirts of a market, their headend could be serving systems in multiple markets. i.e. here in the Poconos the headend used by Blue Ridge serves systems that are part of the NYC, Philly, Scranton, and Harrisburg markets. Every system served by that headend gets blacked out of Phillies, Mets, Yankees, Pirates, Nets, Knicks, 76ers, Devils, Rangers, Islanders, Flyers and Penguins, even though MSG and Root Sports Pittsburgh aren't carried on all of their systems.

If they were to take Sunday Ticket, their systems will always be blacked out of the Giants, Jets, Eagles, Steelers and sometimes the Ravens depending on what the Harrisburg stations choose, even if the system you reside in doesn't carry all of those Fox and CBS affiliates as neighboring stations.

#29 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

I just read an artical from April 2012 from Bloomberg, that Pegged Directv ST subscriber at 2.5 Million total that pay. They also claimed that Directv would also have to add 750,000 more paying subscribers into 2013, Just to break even this season.

Thats total Customers!

Again...ignoring how many bar subs there are and how much more they pay.
DTV = Digital Television

#30 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

I don't see the NFL expanding to multiple providers!
Like Hoosier205 said earlier the #1 concern is the network contracts and needing to protect their value.That has been the concern since the begining. The networks would balk at ST being available to 100 mil subscribers!

Dish couldn't or wouldn't out bid DTV, and cable just can't handle it!

I don't think ST will be gone from DTV soon!
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#31 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

It is indeed impressive.

Come on over and see me...I'll show you 3 HD DVRs running recording and playing back just fine here. Better yet...forget I said anything. :D

Mine work OK too, but they could be better especialy when you see what this facility looks like and what they put into it. Put some of that effort into an STB and we would all be very happy!:joy:
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#32 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

Very Cool thing to be able to see this, congratulations.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#33 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Again...ignoring how many bar subs there are and how much more they pay.

Thats total customers. That includes Bars!

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

#34 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

I don't think ST will be gone from DTV soon!

I never said Gone.
I said not exclusive.:)

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

#35 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,676 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Thats total Customers!

Who said they need to break even on ST? Ever hear of a loss leader?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#36 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

Thats total customers. That includes Bars!

Again...you are ignoring how much they PAY.
DTV = Digital Television

#37 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Again...you are ignoring how much they PAY.

Again your ignoring the fact that 750,000 customers is whats needed, reguardless. It doesn't matter what they pay,the research is based on the year 2011-2012 season of suscribers.

And by breaking even means , 750,000 New addtional NFL ST subscribers need to be added for the 2013 season as a paying ST customer, so the ST cost isn't spread out among the other 17 million customers profit income to Directv.

This is why they are giving so much Free ST this year, in hopes that if they add 3 million, 750,000 will auto renew next year.

Honestly, I don't want it exclusive, for the simple fact that it drives the price of the 17.5 million other Directv customers to cover the losses of the other 2.5 mill ST subscrbers.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

#38 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Again your ignoring the fact that 750,000 customers is whats needed, reguardless. It doesn't matter what they pay,the research is based on the year 2011-2012 season of suscribers.

And by breaking even means , 750,000 New addtional NFL ST subscribers need to be added for the 2013 season as a paying ST customer, so the ST cost isn't spread out among the other 17 million customers profit income to Directv.

This is why they are giving so much Free ST this year, in hopes that if they add 3 million, 750,000 will auto renew next year.

Honestly, I don't want it exclusive, for the simple fact that it drives the price of the 17.5 million other Directv customers to cover the losses of the other 2.5 mill ST subscrbers.

The term customer's is a very misleading term. I can understand your logic but it's not correct in this situation.

This however has nothing to do with the OP so I'd start a new thread if you want to. It will be talked about en mass next year when ST starts again.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#39 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

I agree. It seems like the focus is going to Sunday Ticket when the article seems to be about a broadcast center.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#40 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 872 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Darn it! If I had known SS was going to be there, I would have told him to sneak into the RSN room and move the CSN Houston switch form "off" to "on."

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

Protected By... spam firewall...And...