Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad with iOS Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

I just ordered a Nomad, and I was wondering, will I have to leave the Nomad App open and running to transfer shows, or do I select the program and it transfers in the background? I know that many iOS apps are prevented from working in the background, and/or are killed after 10 minutes in the background. I am not looking forward to the notion of staring at my iPhone while it transcodes and transfers the program to it.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,057 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

The app does need to be open to do the actual transfer from nomad to your IOS device, but for a 30 minute program it take me only a couple minutes. The transcoding process, which is close to 1 to 1 ratio, happens in nomad, once you select the programs to be transcoded you can close the app and then start it back up later to do the transfers.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,788 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

You may want to add a USB memory stick to nomad (it does add to the internal 16Gb).

You can also set up a series link to Auto and those programs will be available to download without additional intervention.

I typically select the programs I want to carry with us, turn off the iPad and when they're ready, the next time you run it, the client reminds you they're ready for download.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

You may want to add a USB memory stick to nomad (it does add to the internal 16Gb).

You can also set up a series link to Auto and those programs will be available to download without additional intervention.

I typically select the programs I want to carry with us, turn off the iPad and when they're ready, the next time you run it, the client reminds you they're ready for download.

Oh, the client reminds you with a push notification? That's cool! For my purposes, I think I'll be ok with the 16GB storage. I don't need to offlload all that much. I just want to transfer Islanders games (if we ever get hockey again) and any nationally televised Nets games (since I get the non-nationally televised ones via NBA League Pass Mobile). I also only have a 1GB USB stick and a 3TB external drive. One's too little, the other mega overkill!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

Protected By... spam firewall...And...