Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need Whole Home/Internet Advice For HR 34

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

Just got an HR 34 installed to replace one of my HR 21s. The other is still in use in another room. I had and still have a powered deca adapter that I assume was/is providing the internet connection to both receivers. I have the Whole home dvr service active and am able to see the recordings on both devices although nothing is on the 34 currently.

At the 34 there is one coax cable coming from the wall to a tee, one leg of the tee goes to the HR 34 and the other leg goes to the deca which connects to my router by an ethernet cable. The deca is plugged in to a power adapter. This was the set up with the previous HR 21 as well. The other deca that was used was removed by the tech. My router is right next to the HR34 so I could connect an ethernet cable directly between them but I had been previously told not do this with the 21s since I was providing an internet connection to two receivers and that there might be a problem at some point with that set up.

Is this still the case or can I just eliminate the powered deca and run an ethernet cable directly between the receiver and my router while connecting the coax cable from the wall directly to the 34 eliminating the tee? Or would this cause an issue with the whole home function? Since the 34 was just installed it does not have the current software version, 0x54c is what shows on the info screen.

At the other receiver, the HR 21, in another room, there is a coax cable from the wall going to a deca which has a coax connection to the receiver as well as an ethernet cable going to it. I assume that one would stay. It's powered, I assume, by the power inserter that's in my garage where cables from the dish come in.

Everything appears to be working and my 34 shows an active internet connection so I could just leave everything as is but it would be nice to be able to eliminate some of the cable clutter behind the tv.

Thanks for any advice.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

Is this still the case or can I just eliminate the powered deca and run an ethernet cable directly between the receiver and my router while connecting the coax cable from the wall directly to the 34 eliminating the tee?

Several have reported success doing what you propose.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Thanks, but I wonder what DTV's protocol is about this. The tech asked me why I had that set up since the receiver is right next to the router. I just told him that was what had been recommended to me and he just left it alone.

#4 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,651 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

You could kill the power to the DECA with the internet connection and run an ethernet to your HR34. If you disconnect that DECA, be sure to terminate the splitter port.

The DECA at the HR21 is powered by the 21. The power inserter powers the SWIM LNB at the dish.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#5 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Would I need the splitter at all? If I eliminate the deca and just go with an ethernet cable directly from router to receiver it seems the splitter wouldn't be needed for anything.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...