Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Replacing HR24 + 3 HR22's w/ Genie

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jsclarke

jsclarke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Hello everyone,
We currently have 4 HD DVRs (HR-22's and one HR-24), 1 HD receiver (H-24) and whole home- which works great except one remote viewer blocks access to content when another remote viewer is watching that DVR. Plus remote viewers can't fully manage remote DVRs of course. So I scheduled an upgrade to Genie.

BUT- DirecTV told me today if I kept our newest, HR-24 DVR, it couldn't see the HR-34 content and vice versa. From what I've read that's not right. So question 1 is- can an HR 24 see HR 34 content and vice versa?

Question 2- I need to keep either an H-24, or HR-24 either way- because I need a total of 5 receivers. I'll have the HR-24 and 3 C31's- so I'll need 1 more. The optimal choice here would be keeping the HR-24, right (other than higher power consumption). Thanks very much. John

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

The HR24 will see and be able to play the content on the HR34 and vice versa.

You'd definitely be better off keeping the HR24.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

I believe the CSR mispoke. I believe at this time the C31 clients won't be able to access the recordings on the HR24 (assuming you keep it, which I would). The C31s will only be able to watch recordings off the HR34. The HR34 will be able to watch recordings off the HR24.

I believe there is an update coming (possibly released in some areas) that will allow the C31 to play recordings from the HR24. However, I imagine even with this update you will still only be able to stream one recording from the HR24 at a time. So if you are watching a recording off the HR24 on one of your C31s, the other C31s and the HR34 will not be able to access the HR24 recordings at the same time.

Also, just in case you didn't know, you could get a fourth C31 and use it instead of keeping your HR24 (or H24). The downside to this is that you can only watch TV in a max of 4 locations at once. So if you tried turning on all 4 C31s at the same time, one of them would get a screen telling you that there isn't an open stream or something like that, and it will tell you to turn off one of the other C31s. If you don't think that would be an issue, then you may want to consider doing this instead, as it would help save some electricity, and take up less space/produce less heat in the room you place it in.

Edited by Beerstalker, 11 December 2012 - 10:39 AM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,341 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

Agree with Beerstalker; CSR was mistaken; it's just the C31's that cannot play content from any but the '34 (Genie), and that should be fixed ere long.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   PGA

PGA

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

I'm using two HR 34s, four H21s and two H24s, connected via Cat 5. Had to disable NAT PMP on the Apple router, assign the 34s static IPs and reset everything for scratch. Before that the 34s would not always be able to play what was recorded on the other 34 without frequent resets. Now seems very stable and everything sees everything. It is wonderful to have 2x5 tuners for recording. No more conflicts with the family recording shows and no more issues with not being able to watch different shows on almost all the TVs at once.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...