Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sling adapter issues with the Hopper

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ITguy98

ITguy98

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

BACKGROUND:
-----------

I have been using a Sling adapter for about 2 years. I started with a Dish 922 receiver (built-in Sling) and also a 722K with external Sling. The 722K was rock solid but I've had various issues with the 922, especially after a software update in March/April 2011, and now all new issues with the Hopper.

I have a Hopper with 3 Joeys. The Hopper has a Sling adapter connected. I connect from an Android phone (Jelly Bean) on Verizon with LTE while riding a bus to/from work. Data coverage is fairly good with a couple of small "4G dead spots" where it sometimes falls back to 3G or drops altogether.

I've called Dish Tech Support several times with the issues getting resolved. I finally documented my observed issues and called Dish Tech Support again on 11/14/2012 with the following. They were going to forward my info to their Developers/Engineers but I've never heard back. They said software update S230 was coming soon and might fix some of the issues. I haven't tested all of the issues since receiving S230 but most issues continue to exist.

I've tested and found most of the issues exist using my cell phone (Android), my wife's cell phone (Android), an iPhone, a Win XP PC (Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9 and Firefox) and a Win 7 PC (IE 8, 9). This indicates they're not platform specific.

I'd like to bring awareness to these issues via community support and get these to the proper Dish team that can properly fix them. If you have these or other issues using a Sling adapter, please speak up!

ISSUES:
-------

1. Tuner used by Sling adapter sometimes tunes to a non-subscribed channel so it won't connect. WORKAROUND: you must make all 3 tuners busy (remotely go to guide and schedule 3 channels to record) and then connect. RECOMMENDATION: Why not just skip tuning to live channel and go straight to recording? UPDATE: Haven't seen this since receiving the S230 update (2+ weeks) but not convinced it's been resolved yet.

2. When deleting a recording, it doesn't always delete it. UPDATE: With S230 and the new Deleted Recordings option, this appears to be working now.

3. The "watched" yellow progress bar amount seems to depend on which tuner is used when the Dish Remote App retrieves data. Often you don't see that a recording has been played at all, especially if played directly from the Hopper/Joey. If you are able to resume, it only resumes where the Sling adapter last stopped and ignores any other pause points. RECOMMENDATION: Should it prompt you to pick a "location option" for resuming where playback stopped, just like the Hopper/Joey does when you resume playback from multiple locations?

4. It takes a REALLY long time for the Recordings view to update the display results and show the amount of time played after stopping playback. Also, another example is that shows that have been done recording for 20 minutes are still showing as recording.

5. When viewing the recordings, any show that's also included in PrimeTime Anytime appears twice. As soon as the show is purged from PrimeTime Anytime (after 8 days by default) then the recordings only displays 1 show.

6. When scheduling recordings via the guide using the Sling adapter, it takes a very long time for the action to complete and often says it didn't set the recording even though it really did. When refreshing the guide, it then doesn't show all of the shows that are recording (with a red dot symbol).

7. When viewing recordings, the air/record times are off by 6 hours. I suspect it's showing GMT since I'm in Central Time (which is GMT minus 6 hours).

8. Often, Scheduled, Timers, Conflicts, and Skipped options show "There were no records found".

9. The on-screen status info isn't displayed while playing back a recording (pause, FFWD, REW, etc.). This makes it more difficult to find where playback was last stopped if the connection is interrupted. Note that since receiving S230, the INFO button now seems to show the correct summary information (though it often pops up more than once) but all other on-screen options still don't display (pause, FFWD, REW, etc.).

10. Unable to view external hard drive (EHD) contents via the Sling adapter.

11. Occasionally everything becomes unusable via the Sling adapter but works immediately after resetting the Hopper.

FEATURE REQUESTS:
-----------------

1. Add ability to enter a time to jump to, rather than having to fast forward or rewind.

2. Make PrimeTime Anytime shows actually skip commercials when viewing via Sling adapter.

3. Provide a method to remotely reboot the Hopper, like what used to be available on the Dish website?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

You can reboot the receiver via Dishonline.com, under my account/receivers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...