Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

All new DIRECTV.COM redesigned just for you!

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

I just got the email announcement about this. I'm always a bit apprehensive about "new and improved", even more so in this case after what happened with the new/improved HD program guide. If it's the same programmers, the web site will be running about as fast as a glacier.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Ever watch a glacier on a time lapse video, quite intriguing. However, I cant imagine a website on time lapse. :grin:

#3 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

http://www.directv.c...signed_directv/

I wonder when they do this major redesign and site wide updates if this will include removing the option of adding/removing the HD Extra Pack free for 3 mos. constantly? :nono2: :eek2: I sure hope not.....

Also appears "DirecTV Everywhere" will be renamed or possibly relaunched as "Watch DirecTV" (probably due to the increased additions to it such as Showtime, Smithsonian, and all the others that have been added the past few mos.) :D

Edited by Joe Spears, 06 December 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

I just got the email announcement about this. I'm always a bit apprehensive about "new and improved", even more so in this case after what happened with the new/improved HD program guide. If it's the same programmers, the web site will be running about as fast as a glacier.

Have a little faith.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   Mikej0530

Mikej0530

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

I just wonder how much a month my bill will increase because of the new website.

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:01 AM

Saw the "peek" at the new website...it's long overdue. They really needed to bring it up to speed from both a navigational perspective and functional one.

It appears they focused on both of those.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,478 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

I just wonder how much a month my bill will increase because of the new website.

The February increase will have nothing to do with the redesign.

#8 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:09 AM

The February increase will have nothing to do with the redesign.

Yup. It's amazing how those naysayers seem to come out of the woodwork to post every time some positive information is posted. :rolleyes:

Thanks for setting the record straight.

#9 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

Five seconds of playing with the preview site, and there is already this annoying choice of words: "Whether you want to view and pay your bill, upgrade your service, or order new equipment, our new site will make it easier and more intuitive than ever.."

What if you want to downgrade your service? Are they going to make that more difficult to do online? (Can you do that now? I admit I haven't tried.)
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#10 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

What if you want to downgrade your service?

Hmm, there must be a reason they don't want to promote having the ability to downgrade your service. If only we had an idea what that rea$on wa$...
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

What if you want to downgrade your service?

Yeah....you're right...they should have a button with that option...which takes you right to the Dish website. :D

#12 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hmm, there must be a reason they don't want to promote having the ability to downgrade your service. If only we had an idea what that rea$on wa$...

I realize they want to get you on the phone and attempt to retain you at your current package level, but it's still annoying for those situations where someone has firmly decided to make that change, and simply wants to do it in 30 seconds online rather than the whole phone ordeal with the script drones.

I consider this deliberate obfuscation of the customer's account self-management options to be poor customer service, even if I understand their motivation for doing it that way.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#13 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Yeah....you're right...they should have a button with that option...which takes you right to the Dish website. :D

I see what you did there. :D

I meant making it easy to go from Choice Ultimate to Choice, etc.

#14 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

I see what you did there. :D

I meant making it easy to go from Choice Ultimate to Choice, etc.

Got ya. :D

Yeah...it would be convenient to have more options for account management. Then again, there would probably be enough people messing up their accounts enough for someone to say "maybe we should just take care of that for ya". :shrug:

#15 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

I tend to believe that the less one has to interact with big companies on the phone, especially those to whom a monthly bill is paid, the better. No one seems to be empowered to do anything out of the ordinary much of the time, and you can't get the same answer or information from two different reps. Calling a pay tv or cell phone provider brings with it the dread of a dental visit. Will it be a root canal or just a cleaning?

#16 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

:lol:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#17 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Got ya. :D

Yeah...it would be convenient to have more options for account management. Then again, there would probably be enough people messing up their accounts enough for someone to say "maybe we should just take care of that for ya". :shrug:

I used to hate the idea that I had to make a phone call to drop or reduce a package level, but every time I do that they give me some sort of incentive to keep what I've got.

So maybe that phone call isn't such a bad idea after all. :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#18 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

I used to hate the idea that I had to make a phone call to drop or reduce a package level, but every time I do that they give me some sort of incentive to keep what I've got.

So maybe that phone call isn't such a bad idea after all. :)

That's one point to consider for sure.

#19 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

Saw the "peek" at the new website...it's long overdue. They really needed to bring it up to speed from both a navigational perspective and functional one.

It appears they focused on both of those.

+1. I agree 100%. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#20 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

It's nice to see then finally updating a site to incorporate features in the latest browsers (Firefox 10+, Safari 5+, IE8+, Chrome).
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

spam firewall