Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

All new DIRECTV.COM redesigned just for you!

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

I'm always a bit apprehensive about "new and improved", even more so in this case after what happened with the new/improved HD program guide.

I couldnt agree more....... Usually stuff GETS WORSE with every so called "UPDATE" and the disgusting thing is they think its better!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

I'm always a bit apprehensive about "new and improved", even more so in this case after what happened with the new/improved HD program guide. If it's the same programmers, the web site will be running about as fast as a glacier.

The HD GUI is a huge improvement.
DTV = Digital Television

#23 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,671 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

I just got the email announcement about this. I'm always a bit apprehensive about "new and improved", even more so in this case after what happened with the new/improved HD program guide. If it's the same programmers, the web site will be running about as fast as a glacier.

Uh well your PC or tablet likely has a multi core 1+ GHz CPU with GPU assistance and a modern bus and memory subsystem. A set top box has something like a 300 MHz custom CPU designed for one thing only. Yeah it's not an iPhone CPU in a set top box..... Big difference. It's actually AMAZING what DirecTV was able to accomplish with such hardware and I/O restrictions. Ever see a cable box UI? Now that is going back in time!

The preview makes the site look more modern and I'm glad for the design. What's the talk about not being able to downgrade services? I have been taking HD Extra pack off every few months and putting it back for the free 3 months via the web for 2 years now. Think that will be closed up?

The only thing that gets worse with updates IMO is "upgrading" to Windows 8 from Windows 7, but that is an opinion.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#24 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Yup. It's amazing how those naysayers seem to come out of the woodwork to post every time some positive information is posted. :rolleyes:

This isn't even glass a half empty vs. glass half full issue.

It's the glass is broken, liquid is all over the floor and I just cut my foot on a broken shard.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#25 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,528 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

This isn't even glass a half empty vs. glass half full issue.

It's the glass is broken, liquid is all over the floor and I just cut my foot on a broken shard.

Indeed.

Beam me up Scotty.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,367 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Saw the "peek" at the new website...it's long overdue. They really needed to bring it up to speed from both a navigational perspective and functional one.

It appears they focused on both of those.

About time. Going to that website has been as bad as seeking help from a CSR. Still, not the worst website I've ever been on.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,420 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Have they added DVR online backups for Series Managers, Favorite Channels, and other stuff we lose when a DVR dies? No.

Does the online Guide go deeper then two weeks? No.

Well then, what the hell is all the fuss about?

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

#28 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Does the online Guide go deeper then two weeks?
No.

Not a single listings provider gives more than two weeks in advanced so you're barking up the wrong tree on that one. It's because most of the networks put embargos on listings and episode descriptions. Anything further than two weeks is worthless anyway with all of them constantly sending change memos with less than a week's notice.

Nickelodeon won't even release accurate weekend schedules for their networks until Wednesday or Thursday. Disney's networks can't go a day without sending a change memo for a "One time Only" change that has been the same every week for the past month. HLN doesn't finalize their weekend schedule until Tuesday or Wednesday.

#29 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

. Anything further than two weeks is worthless anyway with all of them constantly sending change memos with less than a week's notice.

Then they should not advertise "Dont miss this program, airing in three weeks on..." and you cant schedule it, and have to go back to the 60's and write it down, so in a week and a half, you can add it to the DVR, if you remember.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#30 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Then they should not advertise "Dont miss this program, airing in three weeks on..." and you cant schedule it, and have to go back to the 60's and write it down, so in a week and a half, you can add it to the DVR, if you remember.

If you think that's bad you should see what Nickelodeon does, the listings department likes to keep most stunts a secret for "competition" purposes, despite the promo department running promos for said stunt for weeks. In August Nicktoons had a marathon of a previous season of Power Rangers that hasn't aired in its entirety since 2002, they scheduled it the weekend of the convention that Nickelodeon was 100% aware of since they had a booth there. What does the listings department do? Hold off on the listings for the marathon until late Thursday, the first day of the convention, and it didn't start trickling down to DVRs on Friday or Saturday, some cable providers never got the update at all since they don't get updates on weekends. Most people left for the convention on Wednesday so they weren't able to DVR it.

Another show The Troop even had a week of premieres scheduled last summer and promoted it on air, but it was pulled at the last minute because the ratings weren't up to their expectations. Of course it had nothing to do with the fact that they sat on the second season for over a year only to have it return when its leadin was on a summer break.

TeenNick has been promoting a Vegas special of Degrassi for next Friday since the midseason finale aired at the end of November, the listings department had a rerun from last season in the schedule until yesterday.

The best is the week where they pulled their networks from DirecTV, they had all efforts focused on making little kids with ads featuring Dora and Spongebob crying, they forgot to send the listings for the weekend, so NO ONE had the correct schedule for their networks.

The hilarious part, ever since they started doing it for "competition" purposes, Disney Channel has been beating them in the ratings on a regular basis, CN beat them in some timeslots, and even Disney XD, which is in about 30 million less homes, tied them in some cases. Viacom's execs are so clueless to this they blamed everyone but themselves, first they accused Nielsen of making an error because they got so arrogant from being on top for so many years they thought they could air paint drying and they'll still be number one, then they started blaming Netflix, and now they're just resorting to it being a "changing pattern in viewing habbits", despite all of Disney Channel and CN's gains everytime they lost viewers in the ratings.

Edited by KyL416, 08 December 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,367 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Logic again, Dave?.... :lol:

Rich

#32 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

The HD GUI is a huge improvement.

From what standpoint?

Is it faster?

Is it more functional?

Does it have a larger grid?

Does it adress more than one of the wish list items?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#33 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Well then, what the hell is all the fuss about?

Because this is the year of releasing new and more inscrutable interfaces.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#34 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

From what standpoint?

Is it faster?

Is it more functional?

Yes. At least DirecTV can manage to add features, services, and products without stealing from others. Considering the dismal state of your own provider, perhaps you should focus on those topics.
DTV = Digital Television

#35 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Have they added DVR online backups for Series Managers, Favorite Channels, and other stuff we lose when a DVR dies? No.

Now that would be really nice.

Also, change the way Recordings are tied to the RID # and tie it to the User Account Number. :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#36 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Also, change the way Recordings are tied to the RID # and tie it to the User Account Number. :D

That't probably never going to come from an update to the DIRECTV website.

#37 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,528 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Yeah...I'm sure Dish users go to the DirecTV site alot and would have alot of insight into that topic. :rolleyes:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#38 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

Yes, you are probably correct but it is something I wish Directv would do to allow us to use a Replacement DVR without losing all of our Recordings if the Hard Drive is still working okay.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#39 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

I wonder if they might be working on this now, there site is down with this message. Also, looks like one of there longtime employees passed away, R.I.P. Mr. Ho. :(

Posted Image

#40 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 692 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

Yep....just my luck. Have a couple free minutes for once..go to DirecTV.com and its down. Hence why I do not like playing the lottery either. :(

spam firewall