Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR21-700 File System Verification Fail - 0x70

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hehateme

hehateme

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

I have a 5 year old DVR model HR21-700. In the past 2 weeks it has become very slow and freezes randomly. It takes minutes to change channels.
I do have an external drive connected to it.
I ran the diagnostics on the internal drive.
The SMART Short Test passed.
File System Verification shows "Fail - 0x70"

I do have the protection plan. What should I tell them when I call them?
I have had mixed luck in getting technical support.
It seems to me that my internal hard drive is failing.

Should I remove the external drive?
Let me know if you have any suggestions for me to get the DVR replaced or repaired.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

Call DirecTV for a replacement. The hard drive is dying.
You might have to be persistant as some of the CSRs do not know what that error code is.

Your recordings on the external drive will only play on this DVR. You might want to watch them before calling.

Now after rereading your post it is a little bit more complicated.
I don't think the hard drive that is built in is relavent if you are using an external drive. The machine uses one or the other but not both at the same time.

Did you run this test on the external drive also ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   hehateme

hehateme

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

I did try to run the short smart test on the external drive and it said that external drive not found. So perhaps my external drive is the one that has failed.
I disconnected the hard drive and restarted the DVR. Everything is back to normal. No more poor performance while changing channels.

Interesting part is that I did not lose my recordings. So in the past few weeks my external hard drive failed and my DVR switched to using internal drive. Since the external drive was still connected and not functional it was somehow affected the DVR performance.

Now I have look for a new external drive. Anybody has any recommendations for a reliable external hard drive that is compatible with HR21-700.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...