Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fried Board on HR23-700

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

I don't see a fuse in the picture.
That black round thing on the right bottom looks to me like a torx head mounting screw for mounting the PCB to the chassis.

Just got a headache staring at that picture. You might be right, but that's where the fuses for the 24s are and that's what they look like. Looking at it, if you're right, it might not even be the PS. I've never had a 23 apart, owned one, but it crapped out on me within a week or so. But if you took a picture of a 24's PS, you'd see the same thing.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Just looked at a picture of the 23's insides and you're right, that is a Torx screw. I can't find a fuse on the PS from that picture. Must be one. The resistor that burned is on the PS and the PS is detachable from what I can see.

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Just looked at a picture of the 23's PS and I can't find a fuse anywhere. That black thing is definitely a screw.

Rich

#24 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

My HR23-700 blew the exact same resistor.

Toast

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#25 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,059 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

I imagine waking to the smell of a burnt resistor would be a scary thing, we burned plenty of them in school and it's a smell you don't easily forget.

Edited by Scott Kocourek, 09 December 2012 - 12:15 PM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

I imagine waking to the smell of a burnt resistor would be a scary thing, we burned plenty of them in school and it's a smell you don't easily forget.

Yup, just like a burning ballast with PCBs. My son's room stunk when the 21-200 started smoking, that's what woke him up.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

The minute I walked into the house with my daughter I went on a search to make sure there weren't any flames.

That's a smell that's hard to get out of the house too.

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 09 December 2012 - 02:14 PM.

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#28 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

I just now have read through this thread and quite frankly, I hope DTV is jumping on this issue. At first, I thought it was an isolated instance but apparently, others are having this issue.

It is one thing for a piece of electronic equipment to stop working but it is another for it to start smoking. This is never a good situation not only for possible property damage (or worse) but also for public image.

DTV should be more than a little concerned and moving rapidly for an answer.

#29 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

I just now have read through this thread and quite frankly, I hope DTV is jumping on this issue. At first, I thought it was an isolated instance but apparently, others are having this issue.

It is one thing for a piece of electronic equipment to stop working but it is another for it to start smoking. This is never a good situation not only for possible property damage (or worse) but also for public image.

DTV should be more than a little concerned and moving rapidly for an answer.

With a couple reported out of literally hundreds of thousands in service? I assure you you can go just about anywhere on the net and find reports of a couple of smoking pieces of electronics for just about every piece of consumer electronics on the planet. Monitors, computers, tvs, etc....

#30 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

With a couple reported out of literally hundreds of thousands in service? I assure you you can go just about anywhere on the net and find reports of a couple of smoking pieces of electronics for just about every piece of consumer electronics on the planet. Monitors, computers, tvs, etc....

True but big problems always start as little problems. All I'm saying is if I was DTV, I would be having my engineers looking into this. I was in product development for years. If we learned of failures like this, we would get our hands on the failed units and investigate. I just don't like the units frying in people's house. Catastrophic failures are one thing but not with smoking components with no evidence of large transients (e.g. lightning).

#31 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

True but big problems always start as little problems. All I'm saying is if I was DTV, I would be having my engineers looking into this. I was in product development for years. If we learned of failures like this, we would get our hands on the failed units and investigate. I just don't like the units frying in people's house. Catastrophic failures are one thing but not with smoking components with no evidence of large transients (e.g. lightning).

The HR23 is over four years old and there are already three different manufacturers making the HR24 as well has the HR34-700.

DIRECTV already knows how many of each model has failed so yes, they could easily be doing just as you would have done. Further, if it hasn’t been discontinued it’s likely to be soon.

I’m guessing if it ever became a problem they’ll phase them all out and be done with them. Just a guess but it makes sense to me.

Mike

µß

#32 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

This thread is one of the main reasons I was pretty unhappy to get a HR23-700 that was stamped 2 years older than the one I had that just fried.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#33 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=211032

FYI: When an electrical item stops working it should be unplugged.

I just pour water on it. Makes for a wonderful light show. :D

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#34 OFFLINE   Grapeguy

Grapeguy

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Same EXACT thing happened to my HR23-700 today. I opened the case and found the same component as yours had shorted out, burning the plastic beneath. Horrible smell. I'm hoping it can be fixed by replacing the power board. However, I haven't been able to find a power board on line.

#35 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Same EXACT thing happened to my HR23-700 today. I opened the case and found the same component as yours had shorted out, burning the plastic beneath. Horrible smell. I'm hoping it can be fixed by replacing the power board. However, I haven't been able to find a power board on line.

You won't find the PS boards on the Net. I've seen one on eBay. Your best bet is to buy a 23 that's for sale on eBay for "parts". That means that the guy knows it's leased and can't be activated. You can usually get them for a low price. Just make sure the seller tells you the front lights come on.

Rich

#36 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Seems like more than a couple. Seems like a fair sample. I think.

Just reread the thread, it is only 3 or 4. Not a fair sample. Sorry.

Rich

Edited by Rich, 12 December 2012 - 11:41 AM.
Clarification

#37 OFFLINE   MikeBtp

MikeBtp

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

I had two HR23 DVRs damage two different HDMI inputs on my TV a few months ago and no other damage anywhere in the box or the house. The HR23 still worked with component out but my HDMI was fried on the TV and the HR23. One box damaged one HDMI input, then DTV sent me another HR23 which damaged another of the HDMI inputs two weeks later when there was no lightning or rain or anything. After contacting DTV damage claims I got two repair estimates for my TV, when I really only needed one. The first one that I submitted was $750. Then I got one for $420 which I submitted only because I though DTV would do the right thing and I didn't want to screw them. Huge mistake. DTV claims tech said that since I live in Florida that lightning probably caused the damage, which is BS to me but a way out for them. After several months and phone calls I finally got a settlement for only half of the low estimate. When that credit was used up, I cancelled DTV (after having been with them for 13 years).

Needless to say, DTV can't screw me any more.

#38 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Personally, I have never heard of a piece of equipment damaging another like that unless there were massive power fluctuations in the house somewhere. And hte equipment doesnt do that actual damage, its just the fact they are connected together. Sorry, I'm not buying that either. The only reasonable explanations are weather, or power surges in your home due to faulty wiring/power outages.

spam firewall