Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

It's time for Directv to dump active and gamelounge

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

Directv active was an invention by Newscorp when Directv was under their ownership to copy interactive services like on Sky uk. Times have changed and internet connected services are what replaced that. Directv hasn't changed or revamped active in years and probably never will. It is really slow and the only useful thing about it is getting lottery results and local weather. Gamelounge is also useless because it is very slow and the games are too primitive. Directv should now focus everything on internet connectivity. They should create a full fledged app store similar to whats on Boxee or Roku and not just like their current widget like apps now. They have already done it a little bit with things like Pandora and Youtube but could expand much bigger. Gamelounge would be so much better if it loaded the games from the internet and not from the one way communication satellite. Gamelounge should also be subscription free with ads in my opinion. It would get many more people to use it. Otherwise they should get rid of it.

Please express your opinions and maybe Directv will listen.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,891 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

Directv active was an invention by Newscorp when Directv was under their ownership to copy interactive services like on Sky uk. Times have changed and internet connected services are what replaced that. Directv hasn't changed or revamped active in years and probably never will. It is really slow and the only useful thing about it is getting lottery results and local weather. Gamelounge is also useless because it is very slow and the games are too primitive. Directv should now focus everything on internet connectivity. Gamelounge would be so much better if it loaded the games from the internet and not from the one way communication satellite.

Not every receiver supports the internet and not everyone has their receivers connected to the Internet.

They should create a full fledged app store similar to whats on Boxee or Roku and not just like their current widget like apps now. They have already done it a little bit with things like Pandora and Youtube but could expand much bigger.

Those things take memory and storage which is why only the HR's have Pandora, You Tube and Video on Demand.

Gamelounge should also be subscription free with ads in my opinion. It would get many more people to use it.

Considering that it is a subscription service, if not enough people were subscribing to it and using it, they would have killed it by now.

Edited by KyL416, 07 December 2012 - 02:17 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

I agree that "Active" is useless and could go. I never use "Game Lounge" so I can't give an opinion on that.

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,431 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

I agree that "Active" is useless and could go. I never use "Game Lounge" so I can't give an opinion on that.

+1

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

I never use Active or GameLounge as I feel it slows down my DVRs and I get all my info from the Internet on my PC so why bother if it slows down the performance of my DVR. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

The only thing Active does is make me curse the day I was born when I accidentally tune it in and have to fight forever on these dog slow DVRs to get out of it.

Never been in game lounge, may as well not exist for me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#7 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

Doesn't active include the score guide and the red button interfaces for the NFL and special events like Wimbledon as well as the selection systems for mix channels?

Or are you specifically talking about channel 1?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#8 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

getting rid of game lounge would cause a major uprising..there are TONS of people that use it along with the active channel...to each his/her own
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#9 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

Dump them both, and lose Media Center (in beta for what, 8 years now) too

#10 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

Active content: this is the weather and lottery results. S L O W. Easier to look it up on cell phone or computer. But, not everyone has those items.

Games: so slow as to be unplayable. Worthless. But, as pointed out, its a subscription service so I guess it makes money. I used to know a guy who was a Chevy dealer and he said they would always just order Corvettes with "every option box checked" which included lots of high profit low cost worthless stuff, because the typical Corvette buyer would just want "every option". Games are probably the same. High rollers who just get "everything available". After all these games cost DirecTV nothing to offer.

Red button content: I actually like the red button content. It works fast and is helpful, although the sports listed and the nature of the listings could change.

#11 OFFLINE   flybynyte

flybynyte

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

+1

+2

#12 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,304 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

I use those things so little, I forget they're there. If you don't like them, just don't use them, simple as that. It's no skin off my nose if they stay.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#13 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Not every receiver supports the internet and not everyone has their receivers connected to the Internet.

Those things take memory and storage which is why only the HR's have Pandora, You Tube and Video on Demand.

Considering that it is a subscription service, if not enough people were subscribing to it and using it, they would have killed it by now.

+1......Some fail to understand the logic.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#14 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

My only problem with Active is with the location of the button on the remote. It's right between two buttons I use a lot - List and Guide. I agree with JeffBowser. The only time I even notice Active is when I accidently activate it. Then it sucks.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#15 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

:lol:There still there?

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#16 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

but what is the long term plan with Gamelounge when directv moves off of the old mpeg 2 hardware?

Kill it?

Update for the newer boxes?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#17 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

God forbid you turn to channel 1. Freezes my DVRs for about a minute.

spam firewall