Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Questions on upgrades, credits, and all that jazz

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ophbalance

Ophbalance

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

BG

I've been with DTV since 2007. I got them through a package when I first signed up with my phone service. I HAD an R15 and another SD box. After 10 years of ownership, I finally got a chance to upgrade my SD tube set. It seemed like a good time to upgrade my DTV equipment as well, considering how crap SD looks on an HD set. I've been out of contract for 3 years. In the 5 years I've been with DTV, I've not asked them for any other upgrades or price credits.

end BG

The week of Thanksgiving I called in to DTV's service line to see if anything could be done to upgrade my flakey R15 and get into an HD setup. I didn't really go in expecting much, just hopeful in getting upgraded without getting dinged too badly. The phone rep and I walked through what I wanted (whole home DVR, HD, DVR). It turns out, I got all of that and a new Dish (SWM) for no increase in my bill. Well, excepting the 10/mo HD charge. I got a 15/mo credit for a year to off set that.

I thought I got a good deal, until my other half let it be known what she ACTUALLY wanted from the new system. She said she wanted to be able to watch shows in any room. That tells my "whole home DVR". What we wanted in reality was the ability to record HBO/Showtime stuffs in the bedroom AND be able to view things from the living room in the bedroom. That, actually means two DVRs. Well frick. None of this was made clear to me until after the installers came in and were done.

In order to get the new equipment to me, I had to pay a $20 shipping and handling charge. Ok, fine, so be it. Except the equipment wasn't shipped to me. It was shipped to the tech doing the dish install. That, just seems really odd to me. It seems to leave a fair amount of "Bad Things" to enter the equation.

Another odd thing. I noticed a fair amount of scratching on the front of the HR-24. It came out of a sealed box in plastic, so I figured maybe something happened during shipping. Today I tore apart my entertainment area to account for the shift to all things HD. The HR24 DTV gave me is a refurbed unit, and THAT's why it's scratched all to hell and back.

I'd really like to shift the HR24 to the bedroom, and get an HR34 or another HR24 for the living room. This way, the wife can be happy about recording "not kid safe" shows in a place where they cannot see the titles. The issue? I'm all out of good luck mojo, and DTV wants $200 for an HR24 and $300 for an HR34 at present.

So to the questions:

• Is it normal practice to ship out refurbed units on new equipment installs?? These DVR boxes have always been on the flaky side, and I'm not at all pleased that they gave me a refurb out the gate.
  • Can I use this in any way to come back to DTV and barter down the price of an HR34 or 24? Yes, I know, I should have researched things better before getting into a new contract. Regardless, I cannot see paying that much money for leased equipment. I expect nothing, don't feel at all entitled, just feeling a bit burned on the refurb bit.
  • What's a reasonable amount of time to wait before I can hope (not expect, HOPE) to get a reasonable price on an HR34? I'm down with $100, but not at $300.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,103 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

To be honest, in some ways you are lucky that you ended up with a 24, even refurb. You could just have easily been sent an HR21. Refurb is the general norm, though I agree it at least shouldn't look like it fell off the back of the truck.

#3 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

I don't understand this "equipment roulette" nonsense. Is the only reliable way to obtain a particular model buying it from a third-party vendor like Solid Signal? And doesn't D* still treat it like a lease?

Good grief, these people are loan sharks.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

Is the only reliable way to obtain a particular model buying it from a third-party vendor like Solid Signal?

Yes

And doesn't D* still treat it like a lease?

Yes
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,103 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Except for the HR21-Pro, but I honestly don't know why anyone would buy one of those unless they really needed a rackmount system.

#6 OFFLINE   Ophbalance

Ophbalance

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Pardon me if this has been addressed, but if I were to "buy" an HR34 from somewhere like amazon, is it "mine"? Or does DTV own it? I get the fact that I'll then likely have to pay $5/mo to lease from them, but if the box isn't actually mine to do what I will with, I cannot see paying that much money.

#7 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

I don't understand this "equipment roulette" nonsense. Is the only reliable way to obtain a particular model buying it from a third-party vendor like Solid Signal? And doesn't D* still treat it like a lease?

Yes. Directv has no problems "selling" you a used HR then selling it to someone else, then to someone else ......

Quite a cash cow I would imagine.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

Pardon me if this has been addressed, but if I were to "buy" an HR34 from somewhere like amazon, is it "mine"? Or does DTV own it? I get the fact that I'll then likely have to pay $5/mo to lease from them, but if the box isn't actually mine to do what I will with, I cannot see paying that much money.

It would be leased. The only way to "own" an HR34, if it's even possible, is to buy it from DirecTV at their full price. ($299 is NOT the price to own)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   Ophbalance

Ophbalance

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Righto then, final question. Is there any window that I could cancel in and NOT be hit with that lovely pro-rated $20/mo fee?

#10 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

24 hours after activation
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   Ophbalance

Ophbalance

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

24 hours after activation

Bugger. In talking to the rep from the amazon store, the equipment would be mine, I'd just have to pay a lease fee.

Looks like I'll just keep plugging away every month in trying to score another deal (with fingers crossed).

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Bugger. In talking to the rep from the amazon store, the equipment would be mine, I'd just have to pay a lease fee.

Looks like I'll just keep plugging away every month in trying to score another deal (with fingers crossed).

The "rep from the amazon store" is incorrect. You wouldn't own the gear, it would be leased. Whether owned or not you're paying the $6 fee.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Or you can buy an Owned HR24 or whatever DVR you want sometimes on Ebay.

I have bought 4 Owned HR24-500s that way and then I can open it up and put a 2 TB Drive in it and be done with it.

Just make sure you ask the Access Card Dept. if the RID # of the DVR indicates that it is indeed Owned.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

Depending on what you what and are willing to pay for no. If you want to own a HR21 pro you probably could get that directly from DirecTV or a HD TiVo or a HR34 all you can specify. Its just when it does not matter the model number for your needs. If you just need a HD DVR then a HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23 or a HR24 would all fit that bill.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#15 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Okay Ophbalance, the only only way to know is to just call them back and say that it turns out you wanted a different setup and explain the difference. It would be alot more money for DirecTV to be out so dont be surprised if they do say no. You would need a SWM 16 I think for the tuners (9) and more lines ran then you currently have. Also you would be seeking a deal for a HR34 and another HR24. You wont get anything if you dont call and ask. Your biggest thing going for you is that this is the first time in 5 years you have dont anything. Good luck and let us know what comes of this.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#16 OFFLINE   Ophbalance

Ophbalance

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Okay Ophbalance, the only only way to know is to just call them back and say that it turns out you wanted a different setup and explain the difference. It would be alot more money for DirecTV to be out so dont be surprised if they do say no. You would need a SWM 16 I think for the tuners (9) and more lines ran then you currently have. Also you would be seeking a deal for a HR34 and another HR24. You wont get anything if you dont call and ask. Your biggest thing going for you is that this is the first time in 5 years you have dont anything. Good luck and let us know what comes of this.

It would surprise, but not shock, me if they didn't install the SWM 16 already. Is there any way to verify the model number of the dish? And/or the little node all the cables run into?

I have called, and the response was to spend $200 for an HR24 or spend $300 for an HR34. Or, alternately, call back in a month and see if there's anything they'll offer then.

Essentially, unless I outright pay the fine for my lack of foresight/want it now syndrome, I'll just have to play CSR roulette for the next few months until I hit upon one that can help me get a second DVR without selling a child into slavery.

#17 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,288 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

The month delay is mostly just a delaying tactic, imo. Since you just signed up, when you call the next time tell them you had talked about whole home but that isn't what was set up for you. You might get some sort of discount that way. And of course, you can always play CSR roulette to your heart's content if you have the patience.

As to a SWM 16, no they didn't install one of those for a single unit install, they are much too expensive and aren't needed. In fact, if you had one HR34 or one HR24, you wouldn't need one then either.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#18 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

As to a SWM 16, no they didn't install one of those for a single unit install, they are much too expensive and aren't needed. In fact, if you had one HR34 or one HR24, you wouldn't need one then either.

The most accurate thing said thus far. With an HR34 and HR24 you only have 7 tuners and there would be no need for anything higher than a SWM8. Having been setup with an HR24 and another HD receiver, you are only at 3 tuners which still has plenty of room to play with a SWM8. With that setup, I would assume the SWM is built into the dish and you probably do not have an external unit.

#19 OFFLINE   Ophbalance

Ophbalance

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

The most accurate thing said thus far. With an HR34 and HR24 you only have 7 tuners and there would be no need for anything higher than a SWM8. Having been setup with an HR24 and another HD receiver, you are only at 3 tuners which still has plenty of room to play with a SWM8. With that setup, I would assume the SWM is built into the dish and you probably do not have an external unit.

No clue on where the SWM is. I don't recall seeing anything but the dish, the new switch thing, and the power inverter. I'll be up on the roof again in a month to pull down lights, but otherwise it probably doesn't matter. I don't use anything but two two rooms for TV viewing, so 7 tuners would be fine.

#20 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

No clue on where the SWM is. I don't recall seeing anything but the dish, the new switch thing, and the power inverter. I'll be up on the roof again in a month to pull down lights, but otherwise it probably doesn't matter. I don't use anything but two two rooms for TV viewing, so 7 tuners would be fine.

Sounds like you have an integrated SWM. Does the "new switch thing" look like a traditional coax splitter with a green sticker on it?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...