Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

leased or owned??

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

No problem with Ebay as I and several others here have bought many Owned DVRs from Ebay Sellers and have had No Problems with the Purchase.

You just have to Verify the RID # with the Access Dept.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

No problem with Ebay as I and several others here have bought many Owned DVRs from Ebay Sellers and have had No Problems with the Purchase.

You just have to Verify the RID # with the Access Dept.

Yup, the 34s are new and I would expect some problems trying to purchase an owned unit. These people at ACT are still D* CSRs. The other day I called ACT to activate an owned HR I had just bought and the CSR I got asked:

CSR-Who transferred you to this number?

Me-No one.

CSR-How did you get me?

Me-Called your direct number.

CSR-How did you get this number?

Me-ACT gave it to me a couple years ago.

CSR-What!

Me-It's an owned HR and I call ACT every time I activate an owned HR. That way, it doesn't get put down as leased.

CSR-Huh.

Me (gently)-You could have had the HR activated already.

Then the HR was activated.

They are not all perfect.

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

You have to admit there are plenty that have had trouble with poor ebay purchases, like ones that couldn't be activated due to a number of reasons.

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

You have to admit there are plenty that have had trouble with poor ebay purchases, like ones that couldn't be activated due to a number of reasons.

Never had a problem and I've posted ACT's direct phone number many times. Here it is again: 877-887-7994. All anyone has to do is call them and give them the RID#. Calling anyone else at D* is a recipe for disaster.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   Michael H..

Michael H..

Legend

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Is there a way to check if a DTV HR20 is leased or owned before buying it???

Nobody else has mentioned it, so I will... CAUTION!

Two of the (nine) DVR's I have are HR20's... a -100 and a -700.
At the beginning of the year, I de-activated a third (-100) HR20 that had been sporadically acting up, and called DTV to request a return box.
Like other HR20 owners, I was told by DTV, that they didn't want them back.
They instead sent a return envelope, only for the access card itself. (but also told me that if I didn't return the card, nothing would happen).

Was going to give the other two HR20's away, and was told by the activation department that they would not activate "de-commissioned" receivers such as the HR20 on ANOTHER account, whether originally leased or owned.
At the time, if I de-activated from my account, and changed my mind and wanted to re-activate them, they would do so ONLY ON THE ORIGINAL (my) ACCOUNT, but that this policy could (and eventually would) be rescinded at any time without notification.
This may already be the case, I have not checked.

So, whether or not the HR20 is leased or owned, it does not make a difference.
And because DTV does not want those back, it is very easy to claim, knowingly or otherwise, that it is owned, since their failure to return will not cause them to incur an un-returned equipment fee.
A way to make a few bucks for a paperweight...

#26 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

Its possible some think you can do something nefarious with the RID before you buy it, but that's a stretch.

If they were really D* employees, they would know that could not happen.

There are a few members on here I'd feel ok buying from without asking for the RID but generally a moot point as they'd likely put it in the for sale posting anyway.

That's a problem.

You will now find valid owned RID numbers on various sites advertising "owned" units. These valid RID "owned" numbers have been harvested from ebay, craigslist or other sellers - perhaps here? The sites even give the Access Card Department info to call and verify. A sucker calls and Access Card Department says "yes, its owned" because it is owned - just not by the seller.

Sucker end up with nothing or a leased unit with a different RID and a big hassle on your hands.

Has not happened to me, but I have found many websites that has the RID of one of my owned HR34s. One website when you click to buy goes to Amazon.com where you end up purchasing a leased unit (the Amazon site never says it is owned).

So you go to the website, gives the RID number (mine), you verify, Access Card Department says "owned", you click to buy, you are on Amazon.com website. You purchase. You've just been scammed - but would you have expected it?

I would suggest no RID numbers on ebay or craigslist or here - only give them to someone who private messages. And if buyer, ask for a photo of the RID on the unit or screen - not just the number itself in an email.

Furthermore, when you call the Access Card Department for verification, HAVE THEM NOTE ON YOUR ACCOUNT the unit is owned at that time. If you do not, I had one situation where they tried to say a unit was not owned when I finally activated it. Took a while to straighten out. Would not have happened if they noted it the first time on my account.

EDIT: You may be interested in knowing I have called the Access Card Department twice about one of my owned HR34s RID being on so many scam websites. Told them they should note that so if anyone called about status, they could warn. Both times I was told they were not interested in doing so. So much for customer support.

#27 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

FWIW, this is my current favorite:

Search google for "HR34 ,AKA GENIE 4 DIRECTV - $300 (PALMDALE )"

https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=693

HR34 ,AKA GENIE 4 DIRECTV

losangeles.craigslist.org › ... › for sale / wanted › electronics - by owner

Dec 6, 2012 – HR34 ,AKA GENIE 4 DIRECTV - $300 (PALMDALE ) ... HELLO I HAVE A 5 TUNER DVR FOR DIRECTV ITS CLEAN IM A IM A DTV TECH .... TXT ME OR EMAIL ME..GOOD 4 ADDING TO A ACTIVE ACC 818 770 9302

Claims he comes across these from time to time. Has a picture of the HR34 in the ad. Even lists the Access Card number as 002764201311

Unfortunately for him, that unit is now red flagged as stolen because, according to the Access Card Department, he ordered an access card fraudently on someone else's account for his stolen HR34 - but they were not sure who actually committed the crime. Nice of him to put his telephone number and pictures of the unit online which Directv is now in possession of because of the call to the Access Card Department to verify owned or leased status.

Unfortunately, all scammers are not always this stupid.

#28 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Furthermore, when you call the Access Card Department for verification, HAVE THEM NOTE ON YOUR ACCOUNT the unit is owned at that time. If you do not, I had one situation where they tried to say a unit was not owned when I finally activated it. Took a while to straighten out. Would not have happened if they noted it the first time on my account.

I had the same thing happen to me and I had to call back and talk to another CSR who called the Access Dept. and told them that according to her Records it was Owned by the previous customer and that they should mark it as Owned and they finally did mark it as Owned.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#29 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,102 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

I had the same thing happen to me and I had to call back and talk to another CSR who called the Access Dept. and told them that according to her Records it was Owned by the previous customer and that they should mark it as Owned and they finally did mark it as Owned.

It can even be easier by sending DirecTV Customer Support an e-mail requesting their confirmation of your specific list of devices that are owned. That response gives it to you in writing. Been there, done that.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#30 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Bottomline is that leased units are leased units and owned units are owned units, thease statuses are NOT affected by the recoverability of the unit. Doesnt matter whether DTV wants the receiver back or not. H20's are mostly leased and therefore cannot be sold yet DTV does NOT recover them. This cannot be changed and yes always call ACDT to ask because some other CSR's get confused about this. As far as the scammers go you would not believe the lengths some idiots will go to...seems to bwe like a waste of time for so little money
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#31 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

Bottomline is that leased units are leased units and owned units are owned units, thease statuses are NOT affected by the recoverability of the unit. Doesnt matter whether DTV wants the receiver back or not. H20's are mostly leased and therefore cannot be sold yet DTV does NOT recover them. This cannot be changed and yes always call ACDT to ask because some other CSR's get confused about this. As far as the scammers go you would not believe the lengths some idiots will go to...seems to bwe like a waste of time for so little money

Obsessed by selling, they are.

Rich

#32 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Been working eBay within a price point (under $ 79 + $ 20 for Access Card) for an HD DVR and/or Receiver

Found 21 Leased

2 Dick head Owners who won't provide the number even with a point to the eBay article on verifying Ownership

2 Owned - Net pricing including card > Direct's Lease Fee

2 Incorrectly described Including a Receiver Being Listed as a DVR

When Direct answers " - Not found in our records" (The last two I had transposed trying to read the stickers), Is there any valid reason for a "not Found"

Thanks

KEEP IN MIND IF THE STARTING DELIVERED COST IS > $ 79 - (Opening Bid) I am not inquiring on the ownership status so my numbers are not representative of all the Receivers Listed

Edited by Rent_Share, 21 December 2012 - 04:02 PM.

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#33 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

Been working eBay within a price point (under $ 79 + $ 20 for Access Card) for an HD DVR and/or Receiver

Found 21 Leased

2 Dick head Owners who won't provide the number even with a point to the eBay article on verifying Ownership

When Direct answers " - Not found in our records" (The last two I had transposed trying to read the stickers), Is there any valid reason for a "not Found"

Thanks

KEEP IN MIND IF THE STARTING DELIVERED COST IS > $ 79 - (Opening Bid) I am not inquiring on the ownership status so my numbers are not representative of all the Receivers Listed

Yes, when I have came across this it meant that the receiver had never been activated making it a leased receiver. You could activate it but it would trigger a new 2 year agreement.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#34 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Obsessed by selling, they are.

Rich

Sound like Yoda, you do. :lol:
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#35 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Found 21 Leased

Thanks

What and how many H2x are you looking for and are you counting shipping in that $79 figure. BTW, you show >$79 which is easy to find. I suspect you really mean <$79.

#36 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

Just One

Once I get to $79 (with shipping) I am at $99 with the access card.
The same up front cost as a leased receiver.

Keep in mind these are starting prices.

In reality the two year commitment is not a significant concern, just would like to have the flexibility

Ran into an interesting eBay ad:

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649

BRAND NEW & NEWEST MODEL DIRECTV HR24 HD/DVR RECEIVER DVR + HD HR 24 DTV

Hr24 new
Posted with eBay Mobile

(Plus Aito fill fields for H24)

When asking for Receiver ID

We are an authorized directv dealer , we warranty that you can activate this box, due to the fact that is clean , but we can't share any other information . Thanks and have a great day - isesolution2001

Ebay Feed Back 2 Items as a seller

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

Sound like Yoda, you do. :lol:

First cousin, he is... :lol:

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

Just One

In reality the two year commitment is not a significant concern, just would like to have the flexibility

So, reading between the lines, you are only interested in the H24 Owned as that is what you mentioned. Search for ebay for "Directv H24 owned". You will find that no H24 owned units are currently for sale.

If you select completed auctions, you will find that only 3 H24s have been sold in the 60 days for under $79 including shipping - and 1 of those is questionable as it sold for .01 and had free shipping.

As noted, get the RID in a picture from the seller and check it out before you buy any "owned" receiver.

EDIT: If they do not mention that the unit is owned, don't waste your time. If someone worked for Directv and owns a unit, they will know what that means and mention it in the ad.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 22 December 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

Just One

If the sellers won't give you the RID# they know it can't be activated, as a rule. Some sellers truly don't understand what they're doing. Oddly, a lot of HRs that cannot be activated are sold. I bought a 24-500 for about $50 just to get the power supply, so I guess a lot of other people do buy sets that can't be activated for parts. Be aware: If the seller doesn't say the HR's front panel does light up, don't buy it for the power supply. Don't take that chance, the PS is probably shot.

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

So, reading between the lines, you are only interested in the H24 Owned as that is what you mentioned. Search for ebay for "Directv H24 owned". You will find that no H24 owned units are currently for sale.

Actually I am open to:

H21 HR21
H22 HR22
H23 HR23
H24 HR24

The linked auction, was just a terrible ad for an "Authorized Reseller", Then to cap it off with the ambiguous statement that they guarantee activation without disclosing the lease and return commitment when asked about the RID

This is for an upgrade to a TIVO 708

I AM USING CAT5 FOR MRV AND A 6X8 Multi Switch which precludes the 25 Series.

I AM LEARY OF THE HR20'S OUT THERE, When I was still on a protection plan I did purchase an H20, which continually overheated - Direct replaced it with an HR21 at no cost (They consider that one owned) . I did cancel the protection plan.

Edited by Rent_Share, 22 December 2012 - 11:28 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...