Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

leased or owned??

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 884 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Actually I am open to:

H21 HR21
H22 HR22
H23 HR23
H24 HR24

Then search eBay for "directv owned (hr21,hr22,hr23,hr24,h21,h22,h23,h24)"

There are 11 units that *MIGHT* truly be owned - and none are in your price range.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

You will now find valid owned RID numbers on various sites advertising "owned" units. These valid RID "owned" numbers have been harvested from ebay, craigslist or other sellers - perhaps here? The sites even give the Access Card Department info to call and verify. A sucker calls and Access Card Department says "yes, its owned" because it is owned - just not by the seller.

I got Scammed using Craigslist and I contacted Ellen Filipiak's Office for Customer Service and the guy lost his job, lost his Account with Directv and I received 2 HR24-500s for helping them prosecute this Fraudalent Person.

It cost me $300 but it Cost him even more and all I asked him to do when he couldn't send me the DVR was to Refund my Money but I think he was desparate and had spent the money so I called Ellen's Office and they pursued the matter which resulted in Directv changing their Policy of Employees Owning DVRs after they leave Directv.

Basically they are just Leasing the DVRs now instead of truly Owning them.

Buyer Beware!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#43 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 884 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

I got Scammed using Craigslist and I contacted Ellen Filipiak's Office for Customer Service and the guy lost his job, lost his Account with Directv and I received 2 HR24-500s for helping them prosecute this Fraudalent Person.

It cost me $300 but it Cost him even more and all I asked him to do when he couldn't send me the DVR was to Refund my Money but I think he was desparate and had spent the money so I called Ellen's Office and they pursued the matter which resulted in Directv changing their Policy of Employees Owning DVRs after they leave Directv.

Basically they are just Leasing the DVRs now instead of truly Owning them.

Buyer Beware!!!

If you received 2 Owned HR24s for $300, you made out ok on the deal.

But yes, buyer beware is key.

#44 OFFLINE   dueport

dueport

Mentor

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:03 AM

Is the benefit to actually owning the receiver that: 1) you no longer have to pay a $6 fee for that extra receiver every month (so using owned receivers you could add additional TVs to your account without worrying about your monthly bill increasing); or 2) you don't get locked into a contract? Or does owning provide both benefits? I would be interested in pursuing ownership if the former is true. My apologies for the basic question but I can't seem to locate a clear answer elsewhere.

#45 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,257 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

Is the benefit to actually owning the receiver that: 1) you no longer have to pay a $6 fee for that extra receiver every month (so using owned receivers you could add additional TVs to your account without worrying about your monthly bill increasing); or 2) you don't get locked into a contract? Or does owning provide both benefits? I would be interested in pursuing ownership if the former is true. My apologies for the basic question but I can't seem to locate a clear answer elsewhere.

You will still have to pay the receiver fee.
Activating an owned receiver doesn't reset your 2 year agreement.

Edited by JACKIEGAGA, 24 December 2012 - 07:28 AM.

JACK,

#46 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,173 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

just checked my local craigslist for grins and giggles. someone is selling a bunch of owned boxes, claiming you don't have to pay the $6 fee, if you own.

#47 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

The biggest benefit to having owned equipment over leased, is that you can deactivate/reactivate owned equipment at will, as with leased recievers, they must be returned when deactivated, unless it's a seasonal customer situation or a non-recoverable model type.
--
The 6$ you pay is for the shared programming (hence why your primary reciever is free, because you pay the full package price on the primary), so that is paid whether leased, owned or a C31 client.

Edited by HinterXGames, 23 December 2012 - 07:42 AM.

#48 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

The biggest benefit to having owned equipment over leased, is that you can deactivate/reactivate owned equipment at will, as with leased recievers, they must be returned when deactivated, unless it's a seasonal customer situation or a non-recoverable model type.

Also, you can Open up the DVR and Replace the Internal Hard Drive with a Better Faster 2 TB Drive designed for 24/7 A/V Operation in a DVR!!! :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#49 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

Also, you can Open up the DVR and Replace the Internal Hard Drive with a Better Faster 2 TB Drive designed for 24/7 A/V Operation in a DVR!!! :D

Also they are covered under the protection plan and will be swapped owned for owned. In some ways buying an older HD DVR that will die is not the worst thing. I had 3 HR20's replaced with HR24's last year. All HR20's I did not pay more than $100 for. I think I did okay.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#50 OFFLINE   dueport

dueport

Mentor

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

You will still have to pay the receiver fee.
Activating a owned receiver doesn't reset your 2 year agreement.

Thank you for clarifying that.

#51 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

I had 3 HR20's replaced with HR24's last year..

Direct replaced an owned H20 with an HR21 (now owned) a couple of years ago

I have canceled the protection plan since

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#52 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

True, but i'm to technically stupid to ever attempt such things. :hurah:

#53 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,923 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

If you own the HRs you can put a 2TB HDD in it and you'll find you have a better running HR. When you activate an owned HR it doesn't change your comittment. If you decide to quit D*, you can sell them. I have 9 owned HRs, all with 2TB HDD internally and I have few problems. Just my opinions and experiences.

Rich

#54 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

The last two inquiries on owned vs leased (I have stopped chasing RIDs on ebay listings from sellers too stubborn, stupid or shady to include them) the response has always been owned or leased until this morning

I have researched the receiver identification number you have given us and have discovered the following:

02938888xxxx - non-recoverable
02938887xxxx- non-recoverable
02940579xxxx- own
02938278xxxx- non-recoverable

As mentioned, non-recoverable receivers can also be activated

Receiver ID # 0293630xxxxxx - non-recoverable
- Receiver ID # 029397xxxxxxx - non-recoverable
- Receiver ID # 02887xxxxxxxx - still active on another account

For non-recoverable receivers, you can reactivate these type of receivers.

No indication of either of these persons being part of the access card team, they are all H21s

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#55 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

The last two inquiries on owned vs leased (I have stopped chasing RIDs on ebay listings from sellers too stubborn, stupid or shady to include them) the response has always been owned or leased until this morning

No indication of either of these persons being part of the access card team, they are all H21s

If you manage to get a non-recoverable receiver activated, please let us know. That will be a first, I believe. Let us know what you had to do. I assume that the process is the same as activating an owned one in that you need a new Access Card and go through the ACT.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#56 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 563 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I actually had a decent experience with an eBay seller recently that had a "Owned" HR21 for sale. I asked for a picture of the RID, they provided it and I called the Access Card Department to confirm. They said it showed as non-recoverable and couldn't be activated without paying D* the FULL price of the receiver. I'm still not sure how a HR21 was non-recoverable, but anyway...

I contacted the seller back and told him what I found. He already had the access card dept number and had called in before listing it. Basically, he had hid D* service cancelled a year or so back, and the receiver had just been sitting there. D* never asked for it back. When he called the Access Card Dept, they also told him it was non-recoverable, but that that meant he owned it and could sell it. So he then listed it. After hearing what I was told, he called them again and was told what I was told...he didn't own it. He actually thanked me for not letting someone get screwed over on it (he had great feedback) and took it down within 5 minutes. At least there are still some honest people out there...

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

#57 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

See, that was always my impression with regard to "non-recoverable" receivers.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#58 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,923 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

I actually had a decent experience with an eBay seller recently that had a "Owned" HR21 for sale. I asked for a picture of the RID, they provided it and I called the Access Card Department to confirm. They said it showed as non-recoverable and couldn't be activated without paying D* the FULL price of the receiver. I'm still not sure how a HR21 was non-recoverable, but anyway...

I contacted the seller back and told him what I found. He already had the access card dept number and had called in before listing it. Basically, he had hid D* service cancelled a year or so back, and the receiver had just been sitting there. D* never asked for it back. When he called the Access Card Dept, they also told him it was non-recoverable, but that that meant he owned it and could sell it. So he then listed it. After hearing what I was told, he called them again and was told what I was told...he didn't own it. He actually thanked me for not letting someone get screwed over on it (he had great feedback) and took it down within 5 minutes. At least there are still some honest people out there...

Yup, I've had a lot of sellers take their offerings off after telling them what the consequences would be. Some just don't care.

Rich

#59 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,923 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

See, that was always my impression with regard to "non-recoverable" receivers.

- Merg

I've got a couple owned 20-700s on a shelf downstairs that have been deactivated. I'll check and see if ACT still will activate them. Of course, I'd have to buy a new card for each one, but there is a way around that, too.

Rich

#60 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

I've got a couple owned 20-700s on a shelf downstairs that have been deactivated. I'll check and see if ACT still will activate them. Of course, I'd have to buy a new card for each one, but there is a way around that, too.

Rich

Whats that? If they are your old HR20's why would you need a new card to activate them?
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

Protected By... spam firewall...And...