Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

leased or owned??

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

That is the ONLY number you can call and be assured of the receiver's status. Trust no one else. I've got that number on speed dial.

Rich

Access card distribution team is the only ones that can change the status and order access cards. ALL CSRs have access to the ird information, whether leased or owned and account status. If you are specific about what you are looking for you will get the right information.

That being said, over the years all of my irds were switched from owned to leased even though I've carried the Protection Plan since we first had it. We went over the activity on my account and when I'd gotten replacements they were not activated properly and so when the agent built an activation, it populated the unit as leased. ACDT was able to correct that and switched all of my receivers back to owned.

Edited by Brubear, 09 February 2013 - 01:20 PM.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

BTW, isnt there a forum rule about listing things for sale outside of the "Buy, Sell, Trade" forum?

#83 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Access card distribution team is the only ones that can change the status and order access cards. ALL CSRs have access to the ird information, whether leased or owned and account status. If you are specific about what you are looking for you will get the right information.

You have to be kidding.

Rich

#84 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

You have to be kidding.

Rich

I wouldn't have posted if I was kidding.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#85 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

BTW, isnt there a forum rule about listing things for sale outside of the "Buy, Sell, Trade" forum?

Edited my post to make the examples of lies by sellers regarding leased or owned more difficult to find

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#86 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Simply put....owned units are becoming scarce.

People interested in obtaining owned units need to carefully and diligently do their homework to confirm the units are indeed owned - including via DirecTV's Access Card department (beyond just the owner's assurance).
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#87 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Simply put....owned units are becoming scarce.

People interested in obtaining owned units need to carefully and diligently do their homework to confirm the units are indeed owned - including via DirecTV's Access Card department (beyond just the owner's assurance).

You're absolutely right. It's also getting harder for those with owned receivers to sell them making even more important to get that RID verified.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#88 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

I wouldn't have posted if I was kidding.

Yup, I know. That was about as sarcastic as I get. I wouldn't trust any CSR except those that work in the Access Department and I always call back the next day to ensure that my owned HR was actually put down on my account as owned. I really don't trust the other CSRs.

Rich

#89 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,492 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

I think I've also heard cases of more unscrupulous sellers giving out an RID that is able to be transferred, but that's not the box you get. There are posters here that I'd trust to give correct info, but I probably would stay away from ebay auctions.

#90 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Edited my post to make the examples of lies by sellers regarding leased or owned more difficult to find

I understood you.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#91 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

I understood you.

- Merg

Not everyone did

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#92 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts
  • LocationEastern NC and Adirondack Mtns, NY

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

I have a question for those of you who understand DirecTV's policies:
After I went over the end of my 2 year agreement, D* called me and offered me a free DVR to replace my H24, mostly I think to get me on another 2-year commitment. It sounded OK at the time, but after receiving an HR21, I changed my mind. (I already have an HR24 plus the H24.) The HR21 is too large, and from what I read, the HR21 is slow and has too small a hard drive.
I called them up, told them I didn't want it, and they promised to send me a recovery kit. They haven't done so yet, I assume because it is "non-recoverable". I never plugged it in or activated it on my account, and it is in the original packing from DirecTV.

What do you guys think it's status is? Could anyone else activate it? Could I do so a year from now? I suppose I could call the ACT and ask, but I really don't care enough to bother right now. I just wanted an opinion from someone more knowledgible than me.

The Avatar is my curious neighborhood Otter.
My setup

#93 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,815 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

If you have not activated it, you should be able to return it without a commitment, however you really do need to call DirecTV and work this with them.

If it was intended to replace the H24, then they are also expecting that to be deactivated and returned.

There is a time limit within which you must activate a new unit, something like 30 days. So don't wait too long before contacting them and resolving this.

#94 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

I have a question for those of you who understand DirecTV's policies:
After I went over the end of my 2 year agreement, D* called me and offered me a free DVR to replace my H24, mostly I think to get me on another 2-year commitment. It sounded OK at the time, but after receiving an HR21, I changed my mind. (I already have an HR24 plus the H24.) The HR21 is too large, and from what I read, the HR21 is slow and has too small a hard drive.
I called them up, told them I didn't want it, and they promised to send me a recovery kit. They haven't done so yet, I assume because it is "non-recoverable". I never plugged it in or activated it on my account, and it is in the original packing from DirecTV.

What do you guys think it's status is? Could anyone else activate it? Could I do so a year from now? I suppose I could call the ACT and ask, but I really don't care enough to bother right now. I just wanted an opinion from someone more knowledgible than me.

I've been waiting for over 3 months to have a recovery kit sent to me for an HR. As soon as it shows up on a bill I'm gonna call Retention and get some goodies for this mistake.

If I were you, I'd call Retention ASAP. As Carl says, there is a set period of time for a "new" HR to be activated. I thought it was 7 days, but I'm not sure. You're correct about the 21s being slow.

Rich

#95 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Whenever I verify the RID number I just use the Directv website to email the number and usually get a quick response during business hours of course, But it's better to call Access Card Dept for better explanation.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#96 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts
  • LocationEastern NC and Adirondack Mtns, NY

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I've been waiting for over 3 months to have a recovery kit sent to me for an HR. As soon as it shows up on a bill I'm gonna call Retention and get some goodies for this mistake.

If I were you, I'd call Retention ASAP. As Carl says, there is a set period of time for a "new" HR to be activated. I thought it was 7 days, but I'm not sure. You're correct about the 21s being slow.

Rich

Well, after one regular CSR and three different Retention Department CSR's (I got cut off twice, once because the battery died on my portable phone, they have promised me a recovery kit. We'll see. They tell me that since I have not activated it, I haven't recommitted to a contract. So far there is no bill. If I don't receive the recovery kit, I will probably just stuff it in the attic. If they don't want it back, I may dissect it for enlightenment.

The Avatar is my curious neighborhood Otter.
My setup

#97 OFFLINE   supermod38

supermod38

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCentral VA.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

:D my experience. bought a HR20 on E-bay for .99 plus shipping. it is as you know a LEASED unit. tried to activate................ no good. only way to activate is to pay $200.00 then it would be OWNED and could be activated. :lol:

it is correct that the H20's can only be used on the original account! unless you pay them the $200.00. HUH, may as well lease a HR24...................:eek2:

I'm not here for a long time, just a GOOD time!
HR34 lease- Vizio 26"
C-31-lease-32" Emerson
HR24-owned-RCA 46"

H24- owned- :righton:

#98 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

:D my experience. bought a HR20 on E-bay for .99 plus shipping. it is as you know a LEASED unit. tried to activate................ no good. only way to activate is to pay $200.00 then it would be OWNED and could be activated. :lol:

it is correct that the H20's can only be used on the original account! unless you pay them the $200.00. HUH, may as well lease a HR24...................:eek2:

That is incorrect. No one should offer to "sell" you the unit to get it activated. Sounds like the previous account holder may have had a balance. Otherwise you should only have to pay the $20 access card charge.

#99 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,646 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

That is incorrect. No one should offer to "sell" you the unit to get it activated. Sounds like the previous account holder may have had a balance. Otherwise you should only have to pay the $20 access card charge.

Sounds like the previous - uh, person- had either leased it or found a leased unit that fell off a truck.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#100 OFFLINE   supermod38

supermod38

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCentral VA.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

she did not offer to sell me the unit,.!!!!

she said i would have to pay $200.00 to activate. it would still be a leased receiver.!:D

I'm not here for a long time, just a GOOD time!
HR34 lease- Vizio 26"
C-31-lease-32" Emerson
HR24-owned-RCA 46"

H24- owned- :righton:

spam firewall