Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

leased or owned??

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Well, after one regular CSR and three different Retention Department CSR's (I got cut off twice, once because the battery died on my portable phone, they have promised me a recovery kit. We'll see. They tell me that since I have not activated it, I haven't recommitted to a contract. So far there is no bill. If I don't receive the recovery kit, I will probably just stuff it in the attic. If they don't want it back, I may dissect it for enlightenment.

My memory screwed me up again. When you buy an access card for an owned receiver you bought on a website, you have a certain number of days to activate the CARD or you have to buy a new one. Sorry about that.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   golddigger

golddigger

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:22 AM

So every one knows reading this stream, A couple of months ago I called Direct tv to check the status of a receiver purchased at a storage auction. They told me it was not leased equipment and there were no issues regarding the RID number.  I sold it and it the purchaser came back. Now -- First, Direct TV told me that they had put a lien on it due to an unpaid bill, then they told me that it was leased equipment and wanted it back, they then told me that they would not activate it until the bill was paid. I asked for verification that it was leased equipment. I wanted something legalized since Direct TV changed their store 3 times now. I was told they couldn't do that. I asked for some kind of proof regarding the equipment as verification of being leased. I was then told by the representative that I could sell it and let the person buying it get it reactivated.  I told the representative that he had said it could not be reactivate, the representative said that's correct. So, I had to ask .... why did you tell me to sell it to someone then.  He said - I didn't say that. VERY IMPORTANT NOW!!!!    I stated, yes you did and if you want to hear it, I have it all on tape.   BTW recording a conversation is different from state to state.  I'm going to make a copy of this conversation and push this issue, I have no stakes with DTV. I would like to know from anyone out there what agencies I can file a complaint with beside the BBB.  I'd like to know of any popular news media that reports on these types of matters I can send this to. I'd like to know any popular youtube sites that would post this.  What I was told is unacceptable. period

#103 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

So every one knows reading this stream, A couple of months ago I called Direct tv to check the status of a receiver purchased at a storage auction. They told me it was not leased equipment and there were no issues regarding the RID number.  I sold it and it the purchaser came back. Now -- First, Direct TV told me that they had put a lien on it due to an unpaid bill, then they told me that it was leased equipment and wanted it back, they then told me that they would not activate it until the bill was paid. I asked for verification that it was leased equipment. I wanted something legalized since Direct TV changed their store 3 times now. I was told they couldn't do that. I asked for some kind of proof regarding the equipment as verification of being leased. I was then told by the representative that I could sell it and let the person buying it get it reactivated.  I told the representative that he had said it could not be reactivate, the representative said that's correct. So, I had to ask .... why did you tell me to sell it to someone then.  He said - I didn't say that. VERY IMPORTANT NOW!!!!    I stated, yes you did and if you want to hear it, I have it all on tape.   BTW recording a conversation is different from state to state.  I'm going to make a copy of this conversation and push this issue, I have no stakes with DTV. I would like to know from anyone out there what agencies I can file a complaint with beside the BBB.  I'd like to know of any popular news media that reports on these types of matters I can send this to. I'd like to know any popular youtube sites that would post this.  What I was told is unacceptable. period

And that is why you need the Access Card Department to NOTE ON YOUR ACCOUNT that the unit is owned, not leased - and is clear to be activated - when you call instead of making a recording.

#104 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

@ digger.

Relax. 

Unless you enjoy this kind of malarky, it'll just cause you grief. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#105 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,181 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

Sometimes even the ACT doesn't understand where HRs have been. Seen that several times. And they won't activate them.

Rich

i had a lady in the access card department who asked me for someones name, etc, after i called to check on the rid. he was on this website trying to sell me an owned hr 24. that sent a major red flag. i tried to tactfully ask him more about the unit. he refused to give it to me and i didn't buy it from him.

#106 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

i had a lady in the access card department who asked me for someones name, etc, after i called to check on the rid. he was on this website trying to sell me an owned hr 24. that sent a major red flag. i tried to tactfully ask him more about the unit. he refused to give it to me and i didn't buy it from him.

Two things can happen when you ask for the RID #.  You can be ignored (especially if the seller is one with thousands of sales, they know perfectly well what the RID # is for and they know someone will buy it) or you can be asked why you want the #.  Usually that means the person doesn't have a clue as to whether it's owned or leased or in collections.  I usually answer that question.  

Rich

#107 OFFLINE   golddigger

golddigger

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

Unless you enjoy this kind of malarky, it'll just cause you grief.  

It always does cause grief. Enjoyment no way. Piece of mind in the end, yes.

#108 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

golddigger, on 01 Jun 2013 - 6:48 PM, said:

It always does cause grief. Enjoyment no way. Piece of mind in the end, yes.

So, your complaint to the BBB will be: "I purchased the content of an abandoned storage unit. A DirecTV unit was in it. I called DirecTV and they said I could sell it. I recorded the call and can prove it, even though I do not know which state the DirecTV rep in and if they were in one of the 12 states that requires two party consent for recording telephone calls. As thus, I am not sure if I can legally use the recording in a cross state claim.

When I sold the unit, they refused to activate the unit for my buyer as they said could be done, so I got stuck with a boat anchor?"

That pretty much sum it up?

And what do you think the BBB will do besides send a copy to DirecTV, who will respond that their most recent information shows the unit is leased and/or balance due, so they will not activate it.

At that point the BBB will close the case, as they always do, resolving nothing.

You can then sue DirecTV, but as this was not local, you cannot do it in small claims court.

So will $10k+ out of your pocket in legal fees to recoup $300 bring you the piece (sic) of mind you were looking for?

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 01 June 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#109 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,344 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

So, your complaint to the BBB will be: "I purchased the content of an abandoned storage unit. A DirecTV unit was in it. I called DirecTV and they said I could sell it. I recorded the call and can prove it, even though I do not know which state the DirecTV rep in and if they were in one of the 12 states that requires two party consent for recording telephone calls. As thus, I am not sure if I can legally use the recording in a cross state claim.

When I sold the unit, they refused to activate the unit for my buyer as they said could be done, so I got stuck with a boat anchor?"

That pretty much sum it up?

And what do you think the BBB will do besides send a copy to DirecTV, who will respond that their most recent information shows the unit is leased and/or balance due, so they will not activate it.

At that point the BBB will close the case, as they always do, resolving nothing.

You can then sue DirecTV, but as this was not local, you cannot do it in small claims court.

So will $10k+ out of your pocket in legal fees to recoup $300 bring you the piece (sic) of mind you were looking for?

well said   :righton:

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...