Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Contract up on Monday can I call now for new contract?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

I would like to get a deal going a few days early if possible? Or will Directv not budge until the actual day of the contract is up? Contract is up on the 10th this Monday. Dish hopper looks good atm if Directv will not give me a Genie and sign for another 2 years.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

No one here can answer that...you need to call DTV
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#3 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

I was hoping someone in recent days might have done the same thing. Guess I will just have to call and see.

#4 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Yeah its on an account by account basis..dependent upon many variables
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#5 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

I would like to get a deal going a few days early if possible? Or will Directv not budge until the actual day of the contract is up? Contract is up on the 10th this Monday. Dish hopper looks good atm if Directv will not give me a Genie and sign for another 2 years.

The contract is the attempt to recoup the cost of your original installation that you probably paid next to nothing for. What are you hoping to get by adding another contract?

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

The contract is the attempt to recoup the cost of your original installation that you probably paid next to nothing for. What are you hoping to get by adding another contract?

He wants an HR34. I've been offered one every time I call. Even ACT offered me one. Anything to get that contract renewed.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   Beachcomber12

Beachcomber12

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

I called 1month early to see about HR34. They said it was alright to go ahead and renew early. My new 2 year comitment started the day they installed the new equipment.

#8 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

He wants an HR34. I've been offered one every time I call. Even ACT offered me one. Anything to get that contract renewed.

Rich

They will give just about anyone a Genie, for a price. He never made mention to what system he was looking for. If he already has an HD DVR and whole home, he may come out better getting another HD DVR based on whether or not there is a charge for the Genie.

Mentioning another 2 year contract, I only asked what he was looking for to see if he was expecting the same discounts he got when he first signed up.

The original post was vague. I was only asking for more detail.

#9 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

When you aren't under contract you can get deals WITHOUT a new contract. I did.

I was miffed about the "regional sports fee" since I am not a sports fan and never watch so I complained about it and complained about it. The last time I called to complain they must have switched me to the retention dept. since I asked when my commitment date was so I could cancel without an ETF. (Of course, I knew I hadn't been under commitment for months)

The first suggestion to eliminate the sports fee (Entertainment Package) was immediately vetoed as many of my favorite channels aren't in it. Then when I once again pressed for the commitment date I was offered $10 off per month FOR A YEAR plus NO DVR FEE for six months. "You betcha!" I said and, of course since no additional equipment was involved no new commitment.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#10 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

We currently have a HR24 in the living room and HR22 in the bedroom. The new Genie would be replacing the HR24 and that would be going into the bedroom. We have the second to highest package, along with the HD Extra pack and protection plan. Whole home dvr is setup and ready to use. I just never activated it for the monthly fee. I am not going to press for extras. All I care and want is the Genie with out having to pay any thing and more then willing to sign another 2 year deal. If they cant do that for me and want to fiddle fart around with negotiating. I will just go to Dish hopper and once that is up. More then likely come back to Directv. Not that it matters. We also order a lot of ppv's with Directv events and movies. Also have a perfect paying 4 year record with auto pay as well. Lets see how much they "value" me as a customer.

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

They will give just about anyone a Genie, for a price. He never made mention to what system he was looking for. If he already has an HD DVR and whole home, he may come out better getting another HD DVR based on whether or not there is a charge for the Genie.

Mentioning another 2 year contract, I only asked what he was looking for to see if he was expecting the same discounts he got when he first signed up.

The original post was vague. I was only asking for more detail.

Been offering it to me at no charge. Yeah, the OP was kinda vague.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

We currently have a HR24 in the living room and HR22 in the bedroom. The new Genie would be replacing the HR24 and that would be going into the bedroom. We have the second to highest package, along with the HD Extra pack and protection plan. Whole home dvr is setup and ready to use. I just never activated it for the monthly fee. I am not going to press for extras. All I care and want is the Genie with out having to pay any thing and more then willing to sign another 2 year deal. If they cant do that for me and want to fiddle fart around with negotiating. I will just go to Dish hopper and once that is up. More then likely come back to Directv. Not that it matters. We also order a lot of ppv's with Directv events and movies. Also have a perfect paying 4 year record with auto pay as well. Lets see how much they "value" me as a customer.

You're gonna give up a 24 and keep a 22-100? That's amazing... :nono2:

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Rich

I agree. Dump the 22 and keep the 24. The tech can move the 24 to the 22's location if that's your concern.

#14 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,787 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

Rich

Maybe he's into antiques. :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Maybe he's into antiques. :sure:

Or making huge mistakes. Maybe he typed that wrong.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Rich

Definitely keep the HR24.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

I think you guys misread. I am not that crazy :eek2: to keep the HR22. That would be going and the HR24 would be going in the bed room.

#18 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Well I called a few minutes ago. Think I got a pretty good deal. $48 installed. They initially wanted $300 and I said no way. She said let me switch you to cancellation department as they have more lead way. They got it to $99 and I still was not willing to pay it. I had in mind to pay nothing and cancel. They said well how about $48. Done and I was happy.

Edited by KoRn, 09 December 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

They said well how about $48. Done and I was happy.

Great News and Way To Negotiate!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#20 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

It's only been a few months since people were jumping all over me because I wasn't willing to pay the full ride for an HR34. I was complaining about the games one had to play to get a discount. At the time I commented that I shouldn't have to pay the full ride when many others weren't. I think I ended up paying $99. Soon it will be $0 for those willing to haggle. Actually, it is $0 with this - $48 is just the install.

I wonder how much the average sucker is forking over. Buying cars used to be like this. Like cars, this archaic business method needs to end.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...