Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NO GUIDE DATA past Sunday noon - since install of OTA USB dongle and new software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bookwalk

bookwalk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

About a week or so again, got the 230 upgrade and my OTA works, but, for about that long, I just discovered, no guide data is being generated past this Sunday at noon. We have 2 hoppers. The other hopper's guide data is just fine (it does not have the OTA USB dongle, but it did get the software upgrade).

Called DISH and tried all this:
Unplugged receiver 10 seconds--waited about 2 hours -- no new guide data (No DVR timers either after that)
They sent an authorization rehit--nothing
Tried a "Check Switch" and also a plain reset--still nothing.

Any idea what's going on?

Does this mean that Sunday Noon, I will get nothing on DISH since there will be no guide data?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bookwalk

bookwalk

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

About a week or so again, got the 230 upgrade and my OTA works, but, for about that long, I just discovered, no guide data is being generated past this Sunday at noon. We have 2 hoppers. The other hopper's guide data is just fine (it does not have the OTA USB dongle, but it did get the software upgrade).

Called DISH and tried all this:
Unplugged receiver 10 seconds--waited about 2 hours -- no new guide data (No DVR timers either after that)
They sent an authorization rehit--nothing
Tried a "Check Switch" and also a plain reset--still nothing.

Any idea what's going on?

Does this mean that Sunday Noon, I will get nothing on DISH since there will be no guide data?

I have no idea which of the above "helped" but last night it did update the guide out for 9 days, at least. I just wonder why it did no update for the last 7 days and what I did that helped it????
Pat

:hi:

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

Most EPG fixes will not work until the next day. Forcing a complete download of EPG is not trivial - perhaps DISH should bury a function like that on a menu?

Has anyone else lost EPG updates when installing the OTA module?

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

Also, I have observed on receivers like my 922 where sometimes it will go a day or two and appear to not update/extend the 9-day EPG... then suddenly it will kick in again. Not sure why it happens, but maybe your Hopper is doing something similar.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#5 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

My EPG has data through at least next Sunday.

I installed a preamp yesterday and the signal strength of my locals jumped up to 100 for most channels. One still eludes me with my current antenna placement - though if I point the antenna in the exact opposite direction, it comes in (but then I lose other channels.) Looks like the roof is a must for me, come spring. I did pick up one more station with the preamp that wasn't there before - a local religious channel that does not have Dish guide data. It's a low-power translator over 20 miles away, and my antenna is pointed 90-degrees away from it.

My assumptions about Dish's HD LiL have proven true. The picture quality OTA is subtly better. It's hard to describe, but there's a "wow" factor with the OTA picture - it pops. The Dish provided signal has slightly less sharp edges and the color depth is simply not there. I'd take pictures to show it, but I can't figure out how to show the change with JPEGs, which do their own color quashing and resolution reductions. Note that this difference is not something most people will ever see - it takes a discerning eye and a quality screen viewed at a close distance to spot it. And it may be that being in a sub-150th market, I'm getting the short end of the bandwidth stick and it is better in larger markets.

For those who don't remember, I have a Winegard HD8800 mounted under my deck, with the top of the antenna about 4' off the ground and the bottom less than 1' above the ground. I'm getting CBS, NBC, ABC, 2 PBS affiliates and now a 3ABN affiliate with this setup, which is far better than predicted by Antennaweb or TVFool.

spam firewall