Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Way to go DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Unexpected Saturday Delivery of replacement DVR: +1

Sending me the same make and model that has already fried on me: -2

Sending me one 2 years older than the one I had: -10

Morons.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

There's no guarantee of what you'll get as a replacement. You basically get the next box off the top of the stack.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

Yes, I'm well aware of that. Does not change my attitude about receiving a flammable box 2 years older than my other flammable box
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Does it work?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

Yes, I'm well aware of that. Does not change my attitude about receiving a flammable box 2 years older than my other flammable box

There's also no guarantee that the box you just received is flammable either.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

There's also no guarantee that the box you just received is flammable either.

Only here, can the "re-selling" of the same crappy DVR over and over and over be justified.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#7 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Yep

#8 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Only here, can the "re-selling" of the same crappy DVR over and over and over be justified.

Could have gotten an older model. :)

Unfortunately the lack of competition and/or de facto collusion is what enables this crap. My parents have the same problem with their cable boxes.

A company interested in keeping customers would guarantee replacement with a newer unit (same or different model). Especially since many people have to pay for these damn things to begin with.

#9 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Get it activated and see if it works. Then let us know if it is having problems or you just don't like the assembling date.

#10 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

At least with cable, you have an option to buy your own equipment, and upgrade it as your budget permits.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#11 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

Actually, it would be justified anywhere people understand business.

I guess if you were running things you'd just throw out all the boxes when customers returned them, eh?

I have a feeling you'll be working for the man forever.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#12 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

Actually, it would be justified anywhere people understand business.

I guess if you were running things you'd just throw out all the boxes when customers returned them, eh?

I have a feeling you'll be working for the man forever.

I don't work for the man so zip it.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#13 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Just for kicks, check an Apple board some time, you'll see customers who have purchased and then returned 3,4, half a dozen monitors or laptops for some flaw. Same thing with TVs; I read a post from a guy who had returned 3 Mitsubishi 75" TVs.

I used to own a small business although it was pretty big to me, had over 30 employees and thousands of customers. Some came in the door, many more on the phone. I spent well over half my time with fewer than 1% of customers and I figured out that it is impossible to please some people.

#14 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

I would if their cost/life cycle had been exhausted. Even for something as intangible as customer satisfaction, I do not see where it serves DirecTv to piss off customers by sending out old slow boxes with new hard drives, as a replacement, when those boxes have probably been paid for three times over by now.

If they just HAVE to reuse them well past their life cycle, they should send them out to new customers for their "FREE" installs. If the new customers want new equipment, then let them pay the same up front fee the rest of pay.

Anything wrong with that business model? My employer remanufactures coffee equipment for resale. I know for a fact we wont even bother with older appliances, because no one wants old stuff, even if its in brand new condition. I cant see DirecTv's customers being any different.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#15 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

At least with cable, you have an option to buy your own equipment, and upgrade it as your budget permits.

You can purchase the equipment from Directv and own it, just be ready to pay list price and not leasing prices. Directv also has retailers such as Solid Signal or Weaknees where you can pick the model you would prefer.

If a receiver has already been refurbished, it would be irresponsible not to put it back in the field just because there is a newer model. Directv will eventually exhaust all older models of refurbished receivers. They have already stopped accepting non SWM compatible receivers back and some models that are SWM compatible.

Years from now someone will start the same thread complaining that they got another HR24 and it's too out-of-date compared to the new equipment of the time.

#16 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Unexpected Saturday Delivery of replacement DVR: +1

Sending me the same make and model that has already fried on me: -2

Sending me one 2 years older than the one I had: -10

Morons.

If you want a specific model, go get one. Don't blame them for replacing a faulty DVR with a working one. What do you expect to do with all of those receivers? Throw all but the 24's and above in the dumpster while eating the cost?
DTV = Digital Television

#17 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

You can purchase the equipment from Directv and own it, just be ready to pay list price and not leasing prices. .

Well, I was told I could NOT purchase an HR34 from them when I got mine (from an online retailer). I was also told by several people on here (which I cannot verify the facts of) that even if your order a HDDVR from Directv for purchase through the access card department, they still will not guarantee which model of HDDVR you will get, or that it will be new in the box. Perhaps they have changed that, or it was not true to begin with...I ended up buying from an employee, and leasing the HR34 as they would not sell me one.

#18 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

Well, I was told I could NOT purchase an HR34 from them when I got mine (from an online retailer). I was also told by several people on here (which I cannot verify the facts of) that even if your order a HDDVR from Directv for purchase through the access card department, they still will not guarantee which model of HDDVR you will get, or that it will be new in the box. Perhaps they have changed that, or it was not true to begin with...I ended up buying from an employee, and leasing the HR34 as they would not sell me one.

The HR34 is the only receiver they do not currently sell, probably based on the price it would be. Around 6-8 months ago (the last time I checked), you could still purchase any other receiver and when you did, it was new in the box. I received that information from several call center reps, so I'm sure it should be taken with more than one grain of salt, but all of their answers were the same. The price is $499 for an HD DVR which would be the HR24-XXX.

#19 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

When I got my first R15-300 it was brand new in a fancy box. I loved it. In fact, I loved it so much I got a second one only a few months later. The second one was a "reconditioned" R15-300 that was TWO YEARS OLDER than my nice new one. I was disappointed.

Guess which one has consistently worked better and still does? You guessed it, the "reconditioned" one that was built in 2005!!

I'm not disappointed anymore...

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#20 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

When I got my first R15-300 it was brand new in a fancy box. I loved it. In fact, I loved it so much I got a second one only a few months later. The second one was a "reconditioned" R15-300 that was TWO YEARS OLDER than my nice new one. I was disappointed.

Guess which one has consistently worked better and still does? You guessed it, the "reconditioned" one that was built in 2005!!

I'm not disappointed anymore...

Stuff like that happens more than people care to admit. I have no problem buying refurbished equipment. When an item is refurbished it is treated better, and tested more, than it was when it was "factory fresh".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall