Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Way to go DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

You're unbelievable. Can't even give him an inch, given his last one could have burned his house down? It "work"ed for a while, but then scorched!

Can you provide evidence of a single HR bursting into flames? Ever?
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

There's no guarantee of what you'll get as a replacement. You basically get the next box off the top of the stack.

you hear this a lot - I think it's more of an excuse than a reason. I understand the need to re-lease stuff, It makes total sense - The equipment is typically in fine shape. I'd also imagine at least 95% of DirecTV's customer base doesn't care, or thinks about what hardware they receive - so in most cases its non factor. We here on the board are the exception.

You also hear, ' Why doesn't DirecTV treat their existing customers the same way the do a new customer'?" in regards to sending the latest equipment for replacements.

With this in mind, I think DirecTV could make it an option, but if one chooses to replace existing equipment with something other than 'the next one off the stack' it would require the signing of an additional 2 year agreement -Just like a new customer would. That to me seems fair.
TOTAL CHOICE Plus - HR22-100 , HR23-700
Sunday Ticket - Super Fan | MLB Extra Innings | NHL Center Ice | NBA League Pass

#43 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

Who cares? It won't cost you a dime for them to replace it if need be. If it works, that's all that matters.

Who cares?
The customer who has to deal with the problem.
The customer who has downtime due to a bad unit.
The customer who has to spend time working with the call center to get a replacement.
The person who has to ship the bad unit back.

It doesn't cost a dime?
What about having to pay for shipping?

:nono2:

#44 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Who cares?
The customer who has to deal with the problem.
The customer who has downtime due to a bad unit.
The customer who has to spend time working with the call center to get a replacement.
The person who has to ship the bad unit back.

It doesn't cost a dime?
What about having to pay for shipping?

:nono2:

Awww...it really is tough I suppose. I mean, having to call and let them know you need a replacement. Having to open an entire box. The horror of putting the faulty one in a box AND closing it! The hardest part is scheduling a pick up from your very own front door. I mean, that is just brutal. If only they offered a protection plan so you would not have to pay for shipping...

All equipment fails eventually. They offer the easiest possible way of dealing with it. You call and they send you a replacement. That just isn't good enough for some. No, some expect DirecTV to dispose of a receiver after each use.
DTV = Digital Television

#45 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

No matter what, replacing a dead unit is a pain. There are all the recordings lost and the recording to reset. Major unfortunate.

So if the replacing unit has a short life left, that means another replacement too soon.

When DIRECTV makes it easy to copy at least the settings from one unit to another (a presumption that they will do that someday), that will at least simplify that part of the problem. Until then, I understand some of JeffBowswers concern.

That said my original HR20-700 is still running strong. No problems.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#46 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

This thread is getting a tad "incendiary", I regret starting it, actually.

The "who cares" comments earlier have some validity, but, the downtime, and the PITA it is to get behind my AV cabinet, etc... make it all a situation I'd rather not do often. We'll see. if it lasts 3 years like the last one, all is well. Maybe by then they'll design something with sufficient horsepower to be worth buying outright.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#47 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

No matter what, replacing a dead unit is a pain. There are all the recordings lost and the recording to reset. Major unfortunate.

So if the replacing unit has a short life left, that means another replacement too soon.

When DIRECTV makes it easy to copy at least the settings from one unit to another (a presumption that they will do that someday), that will at least simplify that part of the problem. Until then, I understand some of JeffBowswers concern.

That said my original HR20-700 is still running strong. No problems.

Peace,
Tom

Losing recordings? If the content is that important, then you will find a way to get a copy you can keep in some format.

Using returbs as replacements is the only acceptable method. It is the reality that people need to accept. Every single provider does it and will continue to. There is no way around it. These units are not disposable after one use. These folks are not being realistic and expect DirecTV to do business in a way that isn't even logical.
DTV = Digital Television

#48 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

This thread is getting a tad "incendiary", I regret starting it, actually.

The "who cares" comments earlier have some validity, but, the downtime, and the PITA it is to get behind my AV cabinet, etc... make it all a situation I'd rather not do often. We'll see. if it lasts 3 years like the last one, all is well. Maybe by then they'll design something with sufficient horsepower to be worth buying outright.

The very first post was incendiary.

Unexpected Saturday Delivery of replacement DVR: +1

Sending me the same make and model that has already fried on me: -2

Sending me one 2 years older than the one I had: -10

Morons.

Now you say:

We'll see. if it lasts 3 years like the last one, all is well.

...which is it? Will you be happy if it works for three or more years? Or will you be unhappy if the same model works while being the same model and older that the previous unit? Will you still call them morons or might that change as well?
DTV = Digital Television

#49 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Losing recordings? If the content is that important, then you will find a way to get a copy you can keep in some format.

Using returbs as replacements is the only acceptable method. It is the reality that people need to accept. Every single provider does it and will continue to. There is no way around it. These units are not disposable after one use. These folks are not being realistic and expect DirecTV to do business in a way that isn't even logical.

There is a large gap between content is so important that I'll acquire a copy, sometimes difficult to do, and content I don't care about at all. (If I didn't care about it at all, I probably wouldn't record it in the first place...)

So anytime I lose a chunk of the library I've recorded for the convenience of easy playback, it is a pain.

Jeff has another excellent point; getting behind to replace the equipment. Mrs. Tibber is extremely patient, I forget how much so. Most families don't want a cabinet as open as mine is so I can replace more easily.

Now, I am not saying DIRECTV has another choice economically. (I suppose they could create a protection plan elite that would always replace old with new--at a higher price...)

I am acknowledging the pain of replacements. Not fun. Less often is better. :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#50 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

I am acknowledging the pain of replacements.

I fail to see the point unless there is a legitimate alternative available. I suppose we could all buy our receivers at full retail price and then pay just as much for each replacement. Sure, that sounds better!

#51 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

The very first post was incendiary.

Now you say:

...which is it? Will you be happy if it works for three or more years? Or will you be unhappy if the same model works while being the same model and older that the previous unit? Will you still call them morons or might that change as well?

The first post is venting. Everyone is allowed to do that once in awhile.

Jeff has been very polite in the subsequent posts (good job!) as posts more incendiary have flown by. At this point, it might be wise to let the whole matter drop or at least be supportive of one of our members.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#52 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

The first post is venting. Everyone is allowed to do that once in awhile.

Jeff has been very polite in the subsequent posts (good job!) as posts more incendiary have flown by. At this point, it might be wise to let the whole matter drop or at least be supportive of one of our members.

Peace,
Tom

He called them morons for sending him a working replacement receiver. Be supportive of what?

#53 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

I fail to see the point unless there is a legitimate alternative available. I suppose we could all buy our receivers at full retail price and then pay just as much for each replacement. Sure, that sounds better!

Perhaps you never feel pain. Or don't need it acknowledged. Or never need to vent. Nothing wrong with that; though it is through pain many innovations and changes are made.

But at least please let others go through their pain process, which includes venting. By DIRECTV being aware of our pain they will find solutions.

Perhaps it will come in the form of more advanced diagnostics when they re-ship used equipment. Perhaps in features for copying settings from one to the next. Who knows? :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#54 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

He called them morons for sending him a working replacement receiver. Be supportive of what?

Of his pain. He doesn't like the situation. He doesn't need to like the situation. Yet he is being polite to thems who aren't supporting him here.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#55 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Many. Likely many, many. You use it, you switch to directv, you returned it, they lease it so someone else, rinse and repeat until they switch to a new technology. I've seen some pretty beat up cable boxes.

Peace,
Tom

And at what point do they stop charging for leasing the same box that has been returned? Never! Why not only charge a lease fee on new equipment or at the very least a reduced fee for used? After all, they have likely already made their money back on it and then some.

#56 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,875 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

And at what point do they stop charging for leasing the same box that has been returned? Never! Why not only charge a lease fee on new equipment or at the very least a reduced fee for used? After all, they have likely already made their money back on it and then some.

DirecTV is in business to make money, not give things away, and this is one way they make money. If they don't make money they don't stay in business. Don't begrudge them for trying to make money. If you don't like how they make their money there are other companies, who make money, that would like your money.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#57 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Ah, if the problem is what they call the fee, I think that is changing. It is now an outlet fee; not a lease fee. It had been very bad terminology because it really wasn't a lease fee. It is a fee for each activated unit to cover programming fees.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#58 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

One of the reasons I buy Owned HR24s on Ebay is so I can have them Replaced with HR24s if they fail because I have the Protection Plan which ensures that Directv will Replace my HR24 with another HR24 and not an HR20 or whatever.

And I can Replace the Internal Hard Drive with a 2 TB Drive (I don't like using External Drives as they can cause problems). Can't beat it with a stick in my opinion. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#59 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

At least with cable, you have an option to buy your own equipment, and upgrade it as your budget permits.

in canada and it's no just cable.

and when you own it no outlet* / or mirroring* fees.

*on some systems there is a small fee for more then 3-4+ boxes.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#60 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,263 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

What's not logical is DirecTV's assumption that all HR2x units are functionally equivalent. Perhaps a customer should have several replacement options -- no charge and no contract extension for replacement with any unit, refurbed or not, a contract extension for a new unit of DirecTV's choice, a contract extension plus an additional charge for a customer-specified unit.

As to losing recordings it's not that the content is THAT important. It's just that you'd like to see the shows recorded in the last few days before the unit stopped working.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

Protected By... spam firewall...And...