Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Way to go DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

Actually, it would be justified anywhere people understand business.

I guess if you were running things you'd just throw out all the boxes when customers returned them, eh?

I have a feeling you'll be working for the man forever.

That comment is a can of worms. "Business" spans the spectrum from pond scum to all-around great company. As a general rule, the larger, the lower. Somewhat driven by the too big to care/fail mentality.

The crux of the flaw in your way of thinking has to do with most people having paid for the box that has to be replaced. You pay for a box. You don't own it - just pay for the privilege of leasing it (or if you must, effectively prepaying the lease). The lease is entirely open-ended at DTV discretion. If your box dies DTV will replace it. With functionally similar device. However, similar doesn't necessarily mean equivalent. For example, the replacement may be a lot slower than what you originally had.

What happens in the transition from one model to another? I don't recall the details but I'm pretty sure when the HR24 became available that older models were still available and they cost less. In other words, to get the HR24 and it's associated speed improvements, the customer paid more.

How is it right that a company implicitly acknowledges that one product is inferior to another yet sees nothing wrong with replacing the better product with the lesser product?

It's just brain dead. Business or otherwise.

Better businesses make plenty of money by doing things fairly.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

I fail to see the point unless there is a legitimate alternative available. I suppose we could all buy our receivers at full retail price and then pay just as much for each replacement. Sure, that sounds better!

How about a radical thought? Buy the receiver and if it dies have an affordable mechanism to get it REPAIRED. Or extend their protection plans to cover (one level could be replacement with same model, another level with replacement with current best model, etc).

The next time I get an iPhone I'm seriously thinking about paying more for an unlocked one and then getting service outside of the "big" companies. My current contract expired awhile back and I just switched to Airvoice pay-as-you-go (guess what - service is still on AT&T GSM network!). I'm almost in shock how less expensive it is for my usage pattern (light). I'm thinking I'd be FAR ahead to not let AT&T/Verizon/Sprint subsidize the phone and then stick it to me forever.

These companies all need to rid themselves of these smoke-n-mirrors games to scam people. Just put out an honest product at an honest price.

It's getting the point where none of these "services" want to be honest about anything. Internet is another - it's almost a trade secret what the REAL rates are after the promotional period is over.

#63 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

How about a radical thought? Buy the receiver and if it dies have an affordable mechanism to get it REPAIRED.

And be without TV for how long while you wait for your unit to be repaired? What happens if it can't be repaired?

The system they have in place has you back up watching TV within 48 hours, that's pretty good I'd say.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#64 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

That comment is a can of worms. "Business" spans the spectrum from pond scum to all-around great company. As a general rule, the larger, the lower. Somewhat driven by the too big to care/fail mentality.

The crux of the flaw in your way of thinking has to do with most people having paid for the box that has to be replaced. You pay for a box. You don't own it - just pay for the privilege of leasing it (or if you must, effectively prepaying the lease). The lease is entirely open-ended at DTV discretion. If your box dies DTV will replace it. With functionally similar device. However, similar doesn't necessarily mean equivalent. For example, the replacement may be a lot slower than what you originally had.

What happens in the transition from one model to another? I don't recall the details but I'm pretty sure when the HR24 became available that older models were still available and they cost less. In other words, to get the HR24 and it's associated speed improvements, the customer paid more.

How is it right that a company implicitly acknowledges that one product is inferior to another yet sees nothing wrong with replacing the better product with the lesser product?

It's just brain dead. Business or otherwise.

Better businesses make plenty of money by doing things fairly.

If it weren't fair, they wouldn't keep adding subscribers and having the lowest churn. Granted, there's other things involved in the equation, but contrary to what you and others would like to think, it is a smart business move. They continue to make money on the same boxes over and over and customer numbers continue to grow. That's business 101.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#65 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

When DIRECTV makes it easy to copy at least the settings from one unit to another (a presumption that they will do that someday), that will at least simplify that part of the problem. Until then, I understand some of JeffBowswers concern.

Tom

While copying recordings from one DVR to another is probably a copyright issue and out of DirecTV's hands, it WOULD indeed be nice if the FAVORITES lists and other settings could somehow be backed up via a FLASH drive or some other method.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#66 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

How about a radical thought? Buy the receiver and if it dies have an affordable mechanism to get it REPAIRED. Or extend their protection plans to cover (one level could be replacement with same model, another level with replacement with current best model, etc).

That's a GREAT idea! Wait. That's how it was prior to 2006 when the "leasing" program and 2 year commitments began. D-ohhh!!! :nono2:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#67 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

While copying recordings from one DVR to another is probably a copyright issue and out of DirecTV's hands, it WOULD indeed be nice if the FAVORITES lists and other settings could somehow be backed up via a FLASH drive or some other method.

I doubt copyright is involved, or wouldn't be if D* would have the external drive support be by account and not tied to the receiver and made it an archive device instead of replacing the internal.

Dish has been doing it for year and it works quite well. And Dish, on at least some units has the ability to save your schedules and such in the remote so you can 'restore' them to a replacement DVR.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#68 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

I have a HR22 refurbished for 4 years and still works like it's new

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#69 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

And be without TV for how long while you wait for your unit to be repaired? What happens if it can't be repaired?

The system they have in place has you back up watching TV within 48 hours, that's pretty good I'd say.

Usually it is either the Power Supply or the Hard Drive going bad and that is easy to fix if Directv would sell you the Power Supply.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#70 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 941 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

Ah, if the problem is what they call the fee, I think that is changing. It is now an outlet fee; not a lease fee. It had been very bad terminology because it really wasn't a lease fee. It is a fee for each activated unit to cover programming fees.

Peace,
Tom

It's the up front leasing fee I'm talking about, not the monthly fee.

#71 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

I don't recall the details but I'm pretty sure when the HR24 became available that older models were still available and they cost less. In other words, to get the HR24 and it's associated speed improvements, the customer paid more.

I paid $300 for an Owned HR24-500 when they first came out just to get the Faster Performance rather than get an HR21 or whatever DVR they would give me which would be SLOW!!!

I didn't regret it or the other 3 HR24s I bought since then but not everyone can or would choose to do so because of the expense.

I have the Protection Plan so if one of those DVRs fail I can get another HR24-500 as a Replacement and Not an HR21 or HR20 or HR23. :)
Here's My Setup

#72 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

It's the up front leasing fee I'm talking about, not the monthly fee.

You only pay that fee when you initially get the unit, not every time you have a unit replaced.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#73 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

Usually it is either the Power Supply or the Hard Drive going bad and that is easy to fix if Directv would sell you the Power Supply.

Easy for you, me and most everyone else here, yes. But not easy for 99% of their customers.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#74 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

Easy for you, me and most everyone else here, yes. But not easy for 99% of their customers.

But they could take it to a PC Repair Store and get it done within a week and it wouldn't cost that much if you could get the Power Supply which Directv doesn't make available.
Here's My Setup

#75 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

But they could take it to a PC Repair Store and get it done within a week and it wouldn't cost that much if you could get the Power Supply which Directv doesn't make available.

Within a week? :lol: People already complain about a 48 hour turn around. Can you imagine the flack they'd get if DirecTV told people "repairs are up to you" and then on top of that the customer finds out it could take a week? They'd lose customers so fast it wouldn't be funny.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#76 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

Jeepers, you're a tough one.

I was, and remain, irritated I am forced to replace a faulty DVR with a much older assembly. Perhaps it's been refurbished perhaps not, I have no way of knowing. As I said before, I was simply surprised to see one come in stamped 2 years older than one I already considered old.

Secondly, I am perfectly capable of simultaneously being irritated at the situation while also recognizing that if it is indeed refurbished, and/or I get a long life out of it, it doesn't really matter.

Yes, my first post was incendiary, I regret starting the thread. If one starts a fire, though, throwing gas on it afterwards isn't always the best idea.

Others here in the past have had an excellent suggestion for DirecTV - allowing existing subs to buy/rent/specify a new replacement on some sort of perhaps limited basis. Personally, if I had any faith that a fast DVR existed, I'd just go visit Solid Signal, but I'm still waiting for one to definitively and unequivocally rise up.

Tom, thanks for your patience and level responses.

The very first post was incendiary.

Now you say:

...which is it? Will you be happy if it works for three or more years? Or will you be unhappy if the same model works while being the same model and older that the previous unit? Will you still call them morons or might that change as well?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#77 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

No matter what, replacing a dead unit is a pain. There are all the recordings lost and the recording to reset. Major unfortunate.

So if the replacing unit has a short life left, that means another replacement too soon.

When DIRECTV makes it easy to copy at least the settings from one unit to another (a presumption that they will do that someday), that will at least simplify that part of the problem. Until then, I understand some of JeffBowswers concern.

That said my original HR20-700 is still running strong. No problems.

Peace,
Tom

Yes, Thank you! Its a pain , it takes time out of your day , most people have to work the Hours Directv can stop by, and if the receiver is mailed, then you find out the hard way that you once had the HR22,or 23 and now your stuck with a HR21 that has a smaller hard drive. I've seen this happend to quite a few of my friends, including myself.

I fully understand the OP's frustration.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#78 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

If it weren't fair, they wouldn't keep adding subscribers and having the lowest churn. Granted, there's other things involved in the equation, but contrary to what you and others would like to think, it is a smart business move. They continue to make money on the same boxes over and over and customer numbers continue to grow. That's business 101.

Monopolies are a wonderful thing. If you're the business. Sure, they aren't a monopoly in the strict sense but they and the very few other options are effectively a monopoly.

Being the least objectionable out of a weak pool doesn't have anything to do with being fair.

Once a real alternative appears these businesses pay the price for their past behavior. One example: Microsoft. Once the cash cow and all the business-types saying the same thing you just said. Now they can't even generate more revenue than the iPhone.

Business 101 isn't good enough. Nobody graduates with just that. Go all the way through business 499. The goal is to make money now and long into the future. Failure to follow that common sense is the root of the problems this country now faces.

#79 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

Within a week? :lol: People already complain about a 48 hour turn around. Can you imagine the flack they'd get if DirecTV told people "repairs are up to you" and then on top of that the customer finds out it could take a week? They'd lose customers so fast it wouldn't be funny.

How long does it take to call Directv, Report the Problem and wait for a Replacement and then you have to send your old DVR back and box it up, still having an old Refurb unit.

This is just an Option for those who don't want to get an old Refurb Replacement DVR. I can have my Bad Power Supply fixed in under a week for less than $100 and Not Lose My Recordings.

That is worth the wait my friend, well worth the wait.
Here's My Setup

#80 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

Jeepers, you're a tough one.

When ever you Question anything about Directv your in for a fight with this guy!:lol:

While there are a few also that think its OK to get worst equipment then when they started their directv service, its Obvious they never got an HR22 replaced with HR21.

Lets just say that tech (while not my Problem) was pissed when I refused it and called Directv .
So if the tech got backcharged and has to return to bring PROPER equipment, again thats the end result of bad business practices and they can take that up with Directv.
Cause I didn't get paid for the 2 Days of BS waiting around for the Tech to bring me unacceptable equipment that could have been avoided.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

spam firewall