Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Way to go DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

I have a HR22 refurbished for 4 years and still works like it's new

When the HR22 was New, it Never worked like new.:hurah:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

When the HR22 was New, it Never worked like new.:hurah:

Now that is Funny (but sadly True)!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#83 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

How long does it take to call Directv, Report the Problem and wait for a Replacement and then you have to send your old DVR back and box it up, still having an old Refurb unit.

It takes 48 hours from the time you called to receive a replacement unless you call on a weekend. That's far less time than taking it to a place to be repaired where they may get to it within a week. The time it takes to box up the old unit and send it back isn't counted towards how long you're without TV, but the time it sits in the repair shop is. Oh, and if you take it to be repaired it's still "an old Refurb unit". Repairing IS refurbishing.

This is just an Option for those who don't want to get an old Refurb Replacement DVR. I can have my Bad Power Supply fixed in under a week for less than $100 and Not Lose My Recordings.

If you're worried about your recordings and willing to go a week or so without TV (if it is your only unit) then no problem. Most people aren't like that though. And, again, if you have it repaired it becomes "refurbished".

That is worth the wait my friend, well worth the wait.

Not to me or, I'm sure, most of DirecTV's customers.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#84 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,876 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

There's a lot of complaining about getting refurb receivers. Is there a service provider that will guarantee a NEW replacement or do they also provide used equipment?

I ask because it seems as if this practice surprises everyone; as if it’s somehow different from everyone else. Honestly, I don’t know if it’s changed but every cable service I’ve ever had did it this way. I remember getting some pretty dinged up replacement boxes so if another service provider is replacing a bad box with a new one as standard practice I’d like to hear about it.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#85 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

It does seem to be the standard procedure. It wouldn't kill them, however, to have an option (or even a "hidden" option, where someone has to know about it ahead of time and specifically ask) to receive a new box, and/or specific model of box, for an extra fee.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#86 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Very few new receivers fail when they are first turned on. They fail after they have been used. Cost dictates a used receiver that failed be replaced with a refurbished receiver. If DirecTV or any other service provider were to fulfill peoples wishes of getting new receivers as replacements the cost would be astronomical and passed on to the customers.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#87 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

If you want a specific model, go get one. Don't blame them for replacing a faulty DVR with a working one. What do you expect to do with all of those receivers? Throw all but the 24's and above in the dumpster while eating the cost?

THey are replacing HR24's etc with STB's they (D*) don't want back themselves. I was sent an HR21 called and asked to have it sent back. 2nd one arrived and same STB HR21 arrives. I have called 3x to get a returning shipment label but none have arrived. I read where others were told to keep their HR21. So I have 1 HR20, 1 H21, and an HR21. All in the man closet collecting dust.

#88 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,900 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

It does seem to be the standard procedure. It wouldn't kill them, however, to have an option (or even a "hidden" option, where someone has to know about it ahead of time and specifically ask) to receive a new box, and/or specific model of box, for an extra fee.

Just use the code word Shibboleet....sorry, obscure xkcd reference :)

#89 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

THey are replacing HR24's etc with STB's they (D*) don't want back themselves. I was sent an HR21 called and asked to have it sent back. 2nd one arrived and same STB HR21 arrives. I have called 3x to get a returning shipment label but none have arrived. I read where others were told to keep their HR21. So I have 1 HR20, 1 H21, and an HR21. All in the man closet collecting dust.

Well, you could ask the Smithsonian if they want them. :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#90 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

I've been pushing for this approach for years as it would give an Option to those not happy with the current system to pay a little more to get what they want.

Directv would make more money and the Directv Customer would be happier also, so it is a Win-Win Situation. :D
Here's My Setup

#91 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Exactly. And if it was not officially promoted, but only whispered by word of mouth in circles like Dbstalk, the whole thing would be self-screening because the reps wouldn't have to suggest a course of action that would annoy most of their customers. The only people that would ask for it are those already willing to pay extra.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#92 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

Having worked for both manufacturers and distributors of warranty parts I can say that my experience is that warranties, both original and extended, are backed with the promise of "new or like new" equipment. That means a lot of reconditioned parts and products are sent out and as long as they work "like new" the terms of the warranty have been satisfied. A unit that fails is replaced with one that works and does the same thing as the failed unit. It is almost never new, especially under extened warranties or protection plans.

DirecTV is by no means the only one to do this. It's actually an industry standard. You had a DVR, you get a DVR. If and when it dies too, you get another DVR.

You are assured of having a working DVR. No more. No less.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#93 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,681 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Can I offer you a "leased" crying towel? It may not be new but still functions as it was designed to do. :sure:

It functions as well as the current software release allows. There is a decided difference.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#94 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

There's a lot of complaining about getting refurb receivers. Is there a service provider that will guarantee a NEW replacement or do they also provide used equipment?

I ask because it seems as if this practice surprises everyone; as if it’s somehow different from everyone else. Honestly, I don’t know if it’s changed but every cable service I’ve ever had did it this way. I remember getting some pretty dinged up replacement boxes so if another service provider is replacing a bad box with a new one as standard practice I’d like to hear about it.

Mike

I've never had service with anyone where I'm using their equipment and I receive new items as replacements.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#95 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Having worked for both manufacturers and distributors of warranty parts I can say that my experience is that warranties, both original and extended, are backed with the promise of "new or like new" equipment. That means a lot of reconditioned parts and products are sent out and as long as they work "like new" the terms of the warranty have been satisfied. A unit that fails is replaced with one that works and does the same thing as the failed unit. It is almost never new, especially under extened warranties or protection plans.

DirecTV is by no means the only one to do this. It's actually an industry standard. You had a DVR, you get a DVR. If and when it dies too, you get another DVR.

"new or like new" equipment with equal or better features/performance. Recording capacity is a feature.

Imagine buying a brand new 2013 vehicle with a no-lemon warranty and finding out your replacement is a used 2010 model. According to DTV this is ok. :nono2:

DTV policy is plain scum. Replacements should be of equal or better features/performance. If I have an HR24 that dies I shouldn't have to accept anything less than an HR24 replacement. If they don't have any refurbished ones then too bad - replacement will be new. That's the fair and honest policy people expect.

#96 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

DirecTV is by no means the only one to do this. You had a DVR, you get a DVR. If and when it dies too, you get another DVR.

Well, if you have an HR24 you will be sent a Replacement HR24 so that is an Exception as I am sure it also applies to the HR34.

That is why I buy Owned HR24s and I have the Protection Plan so that Guarantees me a Replacement HR24 and nothing else is acceptable.
Here's My Setup

#97 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Well, if you have an HR24 you will be sent a Replacement HR24 so that is an Exception as I am sure it also applies to the HR34.

That is why I buy Owned HR24s and I have the Protection Plan so that Guarantees me a Replacement HR24 and nothing else is acceptable.

Richie is right - its one of the differences between the mainstream leased devices that most people have and the limited number of users with owned equipment.

In the case of leased - you get what replacement they send you.

In the case of owned - you get the same or newer device (assuming you have the Protection Plan).

At this time, most people have leased HD DVRs.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#98 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,876 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

"new or like new" equipment with equal or better features/performance. Recording capacity is a feature.

Imagine buying a brand new 2013 vehicle with a no-lemon warranty and finding out your replacement is a used 2010 model. According to DTV this is ok. :nono2:

DTV policy is plain scum. Replacements should be of equal or better features/performance. If I have an HR24 that dies I shouldn't have to accept anything less than an HR24 replacement. If they don't have any refurbished ones then too bad - replacement will be new. That's the fair and honest policy people expect.

Seriously? Unless something has changed this is the exact same policy as every other service provider.

I could understand the vitriol if this is somehow unique to DIRECTV and so far afield from the rest of the industry as to violate our trust as subscribers. It is a fact that this is a common industry practice and has had for decades. Call me flag waving fanboy blindly sticking up for DIRECTV but you can’t dispute my comments.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#99 OFFLINE   Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

I would if their cost/life cycle had been exhausted. Even for something as intangible as customer satisfaction, I do not see where it serves DirecTv to piss off customers by sending out old slow boxes with new hard drives, as a replacement, when those boxes have probably been paid for three times over by now.

If they just HAVE to reuse them well past their life cycle, they should send them out to new customers for their "FREE" installs. If the new customers want new equipment, then let them pay the same up front fee the rest of pay.
Anything wrong with that business model? My employer remanufactures coffee equipment for resale. I know for a fact we wont even bother with older appliances, because no one wants old stuff, even if its in brand new condition. I cant see DirecTv's customers being any different.

In everyone's rush (at least thru page 2) to defend DirecTV, they seemed to have missed the most logical response to the problem. If all the equipment is functionally equivalent, they shouldn't have to worry about upsetting new customers, right. Everything should be good. Both new and established customers would be happy. :D

#100 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,876 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

In everyone's rush (at least thru page 2) to defend DirecTV, they seemed to have missed the most logical response to the problem. If all the equipment is functionally equivalent, they shouldn't have to worry about upsetting new customers, right. Everything should be good. Both new and established customers would be happy. :D

They may be functionally equivalent but certainly not speed equivalent. It's a fact but not a consideration in replacement...with the possible exception of the HR24.

Mike

µß

Protected By... spam firewall...And...