Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Way to go DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Imagine buying a brand new 2013 vehicle with a no-lemon warranty and finding out your replacement is a used 2010 model. According to DTV this is ok. :nono2:

You're comparing apples to oranges there.

DTV policy is plain scum.

Who's is better?

If I have an HR24 that dies I shouldn't have to accept anything less than an HR24 replacement. If they don't have any refurbished ones then too bad - replacement will be new. That's the fair and honest policy people expect.

HR24's get replaced with HR24's. That's been well documented on dbstalk.com.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

You only pay that fee when you initially get the unit, not every time you have a unit replaced.

Yes, but if you return it, someone else will be paying the full lease fee for it.

#103 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

In everyone's rush (at least thru page 2) to defend DirecTV, they seemed to have missed the most logical response to the problem. If all the equipment is functionally equivalent, they shouldn't have to worry about upsetting new customers, right. Everything should be good. Both new and established customers would be happy. :D

Some new customers get refurbs on installs. It all depends on what the installer has.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#104 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Yes, but if you return it, someone else will be paying the full lease fee for it.

So? Why are you against a company making money?

You think the next person to get it should get it for free? Then you'd be complaining that you had to pay an upfront fee and someone else didn't. sheesh
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#105 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

So? Why are you against a company making money?

You think the next person to get it should get it for free? Then you'd be complaining that you had to pay an upfront fee and someone else didn't. sheesh

No, don't assign my reaction to something you don't know anything about. As I said earlier, subsequent leasing of used equipment to a different subscriber should have a reduced fee.

#106 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

No, don't assign my reaction to something you don't know anything about. As I said earlier, subsequent leasing of used equipment to a different subscriber should have a reduced fee.

And then you and other customers would complain that someone else paid less. Read any threads on pricing around here and you'll find that exact same thing going on.

If you don't like it then vote with your wallet. Take your hard earned money elsewhere and show DirecTV how bad you think their policy is. If I don't like how a company does business I don't do business with them, it's that simple.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#107 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Lets make sure we keep this civil....I'm just sayin'

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#108 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

And then you and other customers would complain that someone else paid less. Read any threads on pricing around here and you'll find that exact same thing going on.

If you don't like it then vote with your wallet. Take your hard earned money elsewhere and show DirecTV how bad you think their policy is. If I don't like how a company does business I don't do business with them, it's that simple.

So you agree with everything that Directv does businesswise? I find that hard to believe. I mostly like Directv and their product. I'm not going to leave because I don't agree with every policy of theirs.

#109 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

So you agree with everything that Directv does businesswise?

Every single thing, no. However when it comes to their policies that involve my hard earned money I have no problem.

I mostly like Directv and their product. I'm not going to leave because I don't agree with every policy of theirs.

It's your choice but if I complained as much as most around here I'd have left DirecTV long ago.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#110 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,823 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

Does this battle really matter? What makes either of you right? They are all opinions

Everyone has the right to complain, just like everyone has the right not to listen.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#111 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

It would have been easy if the DVRs in question had external power supplies. Then he would have gotten a new power supply and still kept recordings, favorites, etc. External power supply would likely be better on the DVR being it wouldn't be as hot inside the case leading to drive failures.
my setup here

#112 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

Through out the course of the lease program advanced receivers have gotten cheaper. So the savings is done across the board rather than specific to a receiver but it has the same impact.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#113 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

Unexpected Saturday Delivery of replacement DVR: +1

Sending me the same make and model that has already fried on me: -2

Sending me one 2 years older than the one I had: -10

Morons.

All they are obliged to do is replace a broken device with one that is the either the same model or higher. Next case, Inspector.

#114 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,533 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

But that's not how it works in business. Profit is the name of the game. Companies like Avis, Hertz, Aaron's, and Rent A Center lease used equipment to new customers at the same price the previous renter received. If they didn't they'd all be bankrupt.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#115 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,823 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

Aaron's, and Rent A Center lease used equipment to new customers at the same price the previous renter received. .

.This is 100% false.
A lease to own contract Has a Previously rented price, and there is a Brand new price.

I know my brother is Aarons manager.

Also his arrons like I'm sure many do NOT rent out equipment, only lease to own. All but few states must keep the equipment a minimum of 3 months with arrons.

And when someone returns something cause they can't afford it , it goes out on the floor at a discounted monthly price as well as a discounted over all price.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#116 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Imagine buying a brand new 2013 vehicle with a no-lemon warranty and finding out your replacement is a used 2010 model. According to DTV this is ok. :nono2:

You're comparing apples to oranges there.

How so? Because of the "lease" terminology BS? Because a vehicle can actually be repaired rather than having to be entirely replaced?

Scratch buy and substitute lease. Lease a 2013 vehicle with a no-lemon guarantee that allows replacement with anything they want. After all, I'm just paying a lease fee to have 4 wheels that carry me down the road...

DTV policy is plain scum.

Who's is better?

That makes it ok? Seems to me that a significant number of people here think it isn't ok. Sure, while their pseudo-monopoly holds they can get away with it. But there is a price to be paid and eventually it will hurt. The trend is for people to stop using services like this so it isn't the "other guy" they need to be worried about.

Replacements should be of equal or better features/performance. If I have an HR24 that dies I shouldn't have to accept anything less than an HR24 replacement. If they don't have any refurbished ones then too bad - replacement will be new. That's the fair and honest policy people expect.

HR24's get replaced with HR24's. That's been well documented on dbstalk.com.

I don't follow everything that is discussed here. I take it that this isn't an official policy? Was it true with the previous models that if you had the current model that you got a current model replacement? What happens when the HR25 comes out? Do HR24 still get replaced with HR24? Or does it then fall into the past model pool where you get anything? Or does the HR24 represent a new class/pool/tier? Or is the difference that an HR24 customer is still under contract commitment?

#117 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

All they are obliged to do is replace a broken device with one that is the either the same model or higher. Next case, Inspector.

They are? Doesn't seem to be what people are experiencing.

#118 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Sure they are...they just don't like getting the same model that's a year older. :)

#119 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,616 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

They are? Doesn't seem to be what people are experiencing.

Perhaps re-read Post #97. This clarifies how it works.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#120 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

Huh?

The OP said nothing about owning his device. If he owned it then they would be obliged otherwise not.

spam firewall