Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Way to go DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

The OP is embarrassed at having started this thread and currently wishes his name was no longer attached to it. :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,086 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

The OP is embarrassed at having started this thread and currently wishes his name was no longer attached to it. :D

Understood.

Seems any time something positive is posted, the naysayers come out of the woodwork. Life goes on.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#123 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Don't be. Your specific complaint may be a bit thin. But threads like this repeatedly point out the mistakes DTV makes. Maybe, if enough "bad press" here gets their attention, they might do something about it.

What they need to do is pretty simple actually. Create a crystal-clear policy that covers all the normal lifecycle issues. Publish the policy. Follow the policy. Duh.

#124 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Their policy is clear. I understand the policy. You ask for a replacement, you get grab-bag.

I do not like the policy. I do not like getting the very same DVR make and model except date-stamped two years older than mine that is in the beginning stages of demonstrating an ability to go up in smoke.

It's that simple. That's what my ill-advised rant was in sum total.

Don't be. Your specific complaint may be a bit thin. But threads like this repeatedly point out the mistakes DTV makes. Maybe, if enough "bad press" here gets their attention, they might do something about it.

What they need to do is pretty simple actually. Create a crystal-clear policy that covers all the normal lifecycle issues. Publish the policy. Follow the policy. Duh.

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#125 ONLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

Through out the course of the lease program advanced receivers have gotten cheaper. So the savings is done across the board rather than specific to a receiver but it has the same impact.

That's a good point and one that I hadn't considered. I still think a lower fee to lease used equipment is fair.

#126 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

It's really very simple. Any equipment that you use from D* is leased and not purchased...even if you pay for it from an authorized dealer like Solid Signal in order to get a specific box.

If your device fails, D* will replace it with a 'similar device'.....meaning your model (of whatever year) or newer.

#127 ONLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

But that's not how it works in business. Profit is the name of the game. Companies like Avis, Hertz, Aaron's, and Rent A Center lease used equipment to new customers at the same price the previous renter received. If they didn't they'd all be bankrupt.

Those companies are mostly renting their products, not leasing them. Also, it's understood that their products aren't new. When you lease a car from Ford, etc, it's new. You are correct about the profit part, no doubt!

#128 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

If your device fails, D* will replace it with a 'similar device'.....meaning your model (of whatever year) or newer.

Not entirely true. That meaning is only if it's owned, which very few are, or it's an HR24 (still waiting on an answer as to why the HR24 is different).

If their policy was to always replace with your model or newer then far more people would be happy.

#129 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

Their policy is clear. I understand the policy. You ask for a replacement, you get grab-bag.

Unless it's a this or that or the other. I'm not clear about the policy relative to HR24.

In your specific case the policy is clear.

Food for thought... if a design/model has a tendency to fail in a certain way (smoke!) it's very possible that refurbishing will replace the component with one that doesn't have the flaw. For example, a component could be replaced with a different brand or a part with better specifications (higher wattage, etc). The consumer will never know this was done. In fact, a refurbished model could be better than a new one.

#130 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

Unless it's a this or that or the other. I'm not clear about the policy relative to HR24.

It doesn't get much clearer than an HR24 gets replaced with an HR24.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#131 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

While I can’t say for sure the reasons for this, there are some differences between the Hx24 and the previous H/HR receivers.

• The HR24 doesn’t need an external DECA adapter.
  • The HR24 can do 2-way communication the RC65RX remote which has some additional Advanced setup menus one of which will lock the remotes audio buttons to any of the devices programmed to the AV1, AV2, or TV slider positions.
  • The HR24 is much faster than the previous HR2x DVRs.
These are a couple of differences. That fact that it doesn’t need an external DECA adapter means that DIRECTV doesn’t have to supply one if they send out a HR21-23.

Personally I couldn’t imagine having to go from the speed of my HR24 to the HR21 so I’d be rather peeved so that’s probably another consideration in the policy.

In your specific case the policy is clear.

Food for thought... if a design/model has a tendency to fail in a certain way (smoke!) it's very possible that refurbishing will replace the component with one that doesn't have the flaw. For example, a component could be replaced with a different brand or a part with better specifications (higher wattage, etc). The consumer will never know this was done. In fact, a refurbished model could be better than a new one.

Interesting point. I hadn’t considered they’d go so far as to replace the power supply but it certainly is possible.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#132 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Well, after some days I can see my current DVR exhibits an annoying tendency to lose DirecTV closed captioning and periodically screw up an HDMI handshake. While these things can be worked around or with, I suspect that DirecTV's "refurbishment" doesn't go much further than testing that thing will power on before they send it back out. Perhaps what I got was something someone else sent back for these very issues.

#133 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

Well, after some days I can see my current DVR exhibits an annoying tendency to lose DirecTV closed captioning and periodically screw up an HDMI handshake. While these things can be worked around or with, I suspect that DirecTV's "refurbishment" doesn't go much further than testing that thing will power on before they send it back out. Perhaps what I got was something someone else sent back for these very issues.

The Closed Captioning thing is a software issue. Even the HR24's have the problem.

#134 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

I put an HR23-700 into the same place with the same firmware as the HR23-700 that fried. This CC issue is different looking than the one I'm used to seeing. Software makes sense, but this is odd, and exhibiting differently.

The Closed Captioning thing is a software issue. Even the HR24's have the problem.

#135 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,086 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

I put an HR23-700 into the same place with the same firmware as the HR23-700 that fried. This CC issue is different looking than the one I'm used to seeing. Software makes sense, but this is odd, and exhibiting differently.

Kyl is correct that firmware controls the CC capability.

You might want to go into the settings, unset CC completely, and then reset it and do a DVR "reboot"/reset using the setup menu to do so.

That way, you know you're at least starting with a "clean slate".

#136 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Yes, yes. As I said, the issues I am seeing are manageable. I only mention them in context of the refurbishment subject, not that I require assistance on them.

Kyl is correct that firmware controls the CC capability.

You might want to go into the settings, unset CC completely, and then reset it and do a DVR "reboot"/reset using the setup menu to do so.

That way, you know you're at least starting with a "clean slate".

#137 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,086 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Yes, yes. As I said, the issues I am seeing are manageable. I only mention them in context of the refurbishment subject, not that I require assistance on them.

OK.

Your are wise to thoroughly test the refurbished unit, even though they are internally tested diagnostically (and repaired if needed) before being sent back into inventory.

I had an HR21 refurb HD DVR for almost 2 years without any issues...but upgraded to a newer unit thereafter when the opportunity came up to do so.

#138 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,409 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

The term that DIRECTV uses in its Protection Plan T&Cs is "comparable features". It doesn't make any guarantees about the unit being the same model or newer.

http://www.directv.c..._plan_terms.pdf

If we determine a replacement receiver is required, we will ship a new or refurbished unit with comparable features to the location where you receive DIRECTV programming.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#139 ONLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

The term that DIRECTV uses in its Protection Plan T&Cs is "comparable features". It doesn't make any guarantees about the unit being the same model or newer.

http://www.directv.c..._plan_terms.pdf

True, but a smaller hard drive isn't exactly comparable, now is it?

#140 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

:lol: Yes, exactly!

It works for now. I'll see how long it holds up. Random equipment off the shelf was expected. What was not expected was one quite this old. If it's been run most of that time, I would expect that I'm going to be calling them again soon for something fried or non-functional.

Actually I might wonder if that's a better replacement to get. It likely had a hard drive fail or something and they actually replaced it, rather than just someone return it and they just sent it back out. You never know, unless you have one of those tiny wire cameras to shove inside and see the manufacture date of the drive. .

Protected By... spam firewall...And...