Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Watch ESPN on iPad

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Well, that just isn't FAIR!!!!! I'm with DirecTV only for my television service provider but have internet with Time Warner Cable. I also pay for digital phone with Time Warner Cable. Now, why can't DirecTV customers be able to have "Watch ESPN" app for the iPad? I called Time Warner and they said that I MUST have TV service with them in order to be able to sign in to ESPN. That's BULL!! I'm paying internet service and two digital phones here at home and internet service at the cottage! Why can't DirecTV provide this service?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

That is totally aggravating, I assume ESPN wants more my and D* won't pony up. We have AT&T DSL and we can watch ESPN3 on line, but not on a mobil device unless you sign in through your provider and D* locks us out.

#3 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

Since a recent "update" on XBOX, ESPN is not blacked out there because I use D*.

I ended up cancelling XBOX Live because of this (it was virtually the only thing I used on that service)

#4 OFFLINE   yall2

yall2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

Time Warner wants your TV money so they won't give their competitor free access. I don't believe DirecTV is at fault.

#5 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Directv is a TV provider, not an internet provider. Watch ESPN requires an internet connection and has nothing to do with your tv provider. Your INTERNET provider must give you access to Watch ESPN.

This isn't even in Directv's entertainment category.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#6 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,150 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

Disney is tying their Watch apps to neogtiations for the channels and not doing it seperately, so if DirecTV were to get it, it won't happen until DirecTV's contract with ESPN is up for renewal.

#7 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Directv is a TV provider, not an internet provider. Watch ESPN requires an internet connection and has nothing to do with your tv provider. Your INTERNET provider must give you access to Watch ESPN.

ESPN3 requires that your ISP have a deal with ESPN to offer it. Watch ESPN is the tv everywhere component of the linear tv feeds and as such requires that you have a tv subscription.

The only caveat is that even if you do have access to ESPN3 through your ISP, the mobile version is only accessible if you also have Watch ESPN access. That means computers would be fine, but phones and iPads can't use it.

Edited by mws192, 09 December 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Well, that just isn't FAIR!!!!! I'm with DirecTV only for my television service provider but have internet with Time Warner Cable. I also pay for digital phone with Time Warner Cable. Now, why can't DirecTV customers be able to have "Watch ESPN" app for the iPad? I called Time Warner and they said that I MUST have TV service with them in order to be able to sign in to ESPN. That's BULL!! I'm paying internet service and two digital phones here at home and internet service at the cottage! Why can't DirecTV provide this service?

Are you paying them for ESPN? No. The question you should be asking is why are we paying DirecTV and not getting this feature? Once ESPN is paid why does it matter how we watch their content? Should be a DirecTV login.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#9 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

I could not disagree more. How is this any different then the HBO GO or anything like that? I pay DirecTV to watch ESPN not my cable company. I would not be willing to pay ESPN twice either as they are already paid good enough.
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#10 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,150 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Are you paying them for ESPN? No. The question you should be asking is why are we paying DirecTV and not getting this feature? Once ESPN is paid why does it matter how we watch their content? Should be a DirecTV login.

The answer to that question is two posts up:

Disney is tying their Watch apps to neogtiations for the channels and not doing it seperately, so if DirecTV were to get it, it won't happen until DirecTV's contract with ESPN is up for renewal.

Edited by KyL416, 10 December 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Live streams of all the WatchESPN Networks are available at no additional cost to fans who receive ESPN as part of their TV subscription from Bright House Networks, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and Verizon FiOS TV.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/about

#12 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

The answer to that question is two posts up:

DirecTV's contract with ESPN is up for renewal in 2014.

I still think it is BS that we dont have it. ESPN should not get anymore money for it. We already pay enough for their stations as it is. That being said, I assume it will happen during the next negotiations. I have called on it before though. Not sure why ESPN or DirecTV would either one care how I watch them once they are both paid.

Edited by joshjr, 11 December 2012 - 11:34 AM.

Sony KDL-46HX800

#13 OFFLINE   KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Not sure if this is completely true, but what I have heard is ESPN is adding TV providers to the Watch ESPN list when they renew their contracts. Cox Communications was just added today.

So when DTV renews their contract with ESPN, I'm guessing then DTV customers will have access to Watch ESPN.

#14 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:18 AM

yes i saw that ESPN just signed the agreement with COX. :(
any info on when D* will add WATCH ESPN

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#15 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,150 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

I still think it is BS that we dont have it.

It's out of DirecTV's control if Disney won't negotiate their Watch products outside of the renewal period. I don't know the specific year their previous contract was renewed, but if its previous incarnation ESPN360 existed at that point, it was just a bonus service only available at the ISP level and didn't include live simulcasts of their linear networks, so it wasn't even offered to televison only providers like DirecTV.

ESPN should not get anymore money for it. We already pay enough for their stations as it is. That being said, I assume it will happen during the next negotiations. I have called on it before though. Not sure why ESPN or DirecTV would either one care how I watch them once they are both paid.

WatchESPN is more than just simulcasts of their main channels, there's a lot of exclusive live events that don't air on TV, some live events that are otherwise only available on a local broadcast or closed circuit campus TV, as well as nearly every game that's available on ESPN Game Plan and ESPN Full Court.

#16 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

It's out of DirecTV's control if Disney won't negotiate their Watch products outside of the renewal period. I don't know the specific year their previous contract was renewed, but if its previous incarnation ESPN360 existed at that point, it was just a bonus service only available at the ISP level and didn't include live simulcasts of their linear networks, so it wasn't even offered to televison only providers like DirecTV.

ESPN360 didn't exist during the last contract, neither did Longhorn.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#17 OFFLINE   LoweBoy

LoweBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

When will the current Disney/ESPN contract expire?
LoweBoy
1 HR34-700 -- Pioneer VSX-1021 -- Samsung 55" B8k
1 HR24-500 -- Samsung 46" C8k
1 HR20-100 -- Vizio 32"
1 H25-700-- Vizio 32"
1 H25-500-- Samsung 40"

nomad & MRV all self installed
iPads & iPhones & AppleTV

#18 OFFLINE   Beachcomber12

Beachcomber12

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:51 AM

If you have time Warner Internet then you should be able to receive Watchespn I have cox as my Internet and phone provider not tv and I as of yesterday started receiving Watchespn on my ipad

#19 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

When will the current Disney/ESPN contract expire?

One report back had 2014 on this site. They are always talking and both companies have compelling reasons to find a solution. Having said that one must realize that Longhorn Network could retard progress, while pattern bargaining could accelerate an agreement. In the meantime enjoy the networks we have online that others do not. ESPN will come and if it is a must have now, then get a Slingbox.

#20 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Have this through Fios and it's a really well put together application but really nothing to lose sleep over. Wish there was a PS3 ESPN app personally but like the new contract with D* it is not something that seems to be arriving soon. Hard to tell people that it's not worth losing sleep over if a person really desires the option though. Sorry if that is you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...