Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whole Home with HR23 + HR21 both sharing?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EJB

EJB

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

All,

Yesterday I took 2 Linksys Routers, loaded the DD-WRT firmware on them and set them up as client bridges next to my two HD DVR's (one an HR23/700 in the bedroom and the other an HR21/100 in the family room) so I could get them on the home network with internet through Uverse. That worked great and both are visible on the network and have access to the internet.

I then filled out the Ask DirecTv form as described on this forum and was able to get Whole Home activated as an unsupported Beta customer (thanks DBSTalk!!!) Once that was done, I activated sharing of playlists on both as well as "Allow" on all the external device settings. At first I thought it was working good (the family room DVR had a combined playlist of what is on that DVR and the one in the bedroom), but it seemed to be working one minute and the next the playlist was only showing the local list on that DVR.

What I "think" was happening is that only one could connect to the other at a time. If the Family Room showed the Bedroom list, the Bedroom showed as not connected with only its stuff in the playlist. When that connection dropped, the Bedroom showed the Family Room list, but the Family Room could no longer see the Bedroom.

I have been reading about Whole Home, but given the strange setup I have, I am not sure if the problem is related to my setup or if the sharing across multiple systems like this is just not supported on the HR23 and HR21 at the same time.

I ended up turning sharing and external devices off on the Family Room DVR and it has stayed connected to the Bedroom for close to 24 hours now. I am going to turn it back on again to see if the problem comes back, BUT ...

My questions are .. should this work (is that a feature of Whole Home), and if so, is it my setup that is causing problems?

Sorry if something like this has already been answered on the forum. I couldn't find it.

EJB

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

It should work.

- Are the units getting their IP via DHCP or are they static?
- Do they each have unique IPs? Sounds almost like you have 2 devices fighting for the same IP.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   EJB

EJB

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

RunnerFL,

They both have their own IP's. They are getting them from the main Uverse Router, so they are not static.

I turned the Family Room receiver sharing back on after posting the question earlier. So far, both are working fine now and can see each other. Maybe it took time to sync up???

I will keep checking them the rest of the afternoon and post if it does/does not work later.

THANKS!!!

EJB

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

Can you set DHCP reservations with the Uverse router? If so you may want to do that or set static IPs if the issue comes back.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   EJB

EJB

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

RunnerFL,

Will keep that in mind if the problem comes back. So far, both DVRs are working fine since enabling the second one.

EJB

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

It should work, but be aware Whole Home over WiFi has been known to have issues. You really should think about switching to at least hard wired ethernet if not to DECA.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#7 OFFLINE   EJB

EJB

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

Beerstalker,

Appreciate the feedback. Main point of using wifi right now is to see if we really use it enough to justify the $3 a month and/or hardware changes, DECA, etc.

We setup some season passes in the bedroom that we plan to try and watch in the family room as a test. We attempted to watch something in the Family Room last night while it was recording in the Bedroom (e.g. first 30 minutes had recorded so we started watching it in the family room). That didn't work too well. It kept losing connection to the bedroom.

We also tried watching something in the family room while the wife was watching something in the bedroom. That also had issues. When she would hit 30 second skip in the bedroom, it caused our viewing to lag. If we hit 30 second skip, her show lag'd.

Not sure if the two issues above are wifi related, or just how it works. Will continue to play around with it, then decide.

Thanks!

EJB

#8 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Yes, both of those issues could very well be related to the fact you are trying to do it over WiFi.

If this is just a temporary thing to try out Whole Home DVR and see if you would like it, I would recommend just running a long Cat5 cable between the two if possible, that would work much better than WiFi, and wouldn't cost as much as having DECA installed.

However, if you already have SWM, adding DECA wouldn't be all that expensive if you buy the adapters off eBay or members here.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

spam firewall