Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WOW What a difference in Speed now !

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

Ive been on here complaining about how slow my HR21-100 has been running. After doing all the tweaks on here and not much help in the speed area ! Finally found out what has made mine sloooow down !

I have a Slim5 dish on my system. This past week I took my reciever to a remote location and used my portable 18" Dish with only 1 LNB on it. WOW what a difference ! I can scroll the guide with lightning speed NOW ! :) Last time i used my portable was on a standard reciever, never on a DVR. So its either the extra 4 birds its picking up or the HD is what is slowing down the HR's on here. And my single LNB has 2 outputs so I still can use both tuners but NO HD :( But at this improvment of speed ! I can live with out HD for a much faster machine !

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,842 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

What difference, other than speed did you see ?
Were the extra graphics we get on HD missing ?
Was the guide the same ?
Anything else you noticed ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   yall2

yall2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

I can live with out HD for a much faster machine !

If I had to live without HD, I would just sell my TV. I don't watch any channels that aren't HD. :icon_lol: :new_smili

#4 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Give up HD for speed? Fat chance.. :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Sounds like the OP prefers changing Channel's to watching them. :)
aka Tivoburkee

#6 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Sounds like a bunch of baloney to me.

My R22 which is really an HR21 has never been connected to a slimline dish and I feel like kicking it because it is so sluggish. Unless, of course, it would run SLOWER when connected to a slimline dish. If that's the case, I don't know how subscribers put up with it....

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#7 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

Either be constructive or don't post. Discuss the topic and not each other.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#8 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

Ain't gonna happen for me!!! :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 496 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

I've read that the HR24s are speedy. My new 34 is much faster in almost all respects to the 21 it replaced. I had two, still have one but it's mostly used to record programs not actually watch. From this experience I have to say that if an HR21 was all that DTV had available I'd just go to cable and never look back. The one I replaced had me cursing every day and I was praying for that one problem that would justify my paying for a replacement. I've been vey happy with the 34 so far.

#10 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

The biggest thing i noticed is the Channel Guide ! When i scroll down it rolls super fast ! Compaired to the slow and catch up scroll i had before ! The List feature is much faster also ! In general everything is much faster but the Channel Guide was the most improved !

Edited by Rickt1962, 10 December 2012 - 09:33 AM.

Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#11 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Again im guessing ! The two factors are I went from 5 Birds down to 1 and I am no longer in HD anymore. Im wondering if I get a Slim3 dish and have less birds coming into the tuner would help

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Again im guessing ! The two factors are I went from 5 Birds down to 1 and I am no longer in HD anymore. Im wondering if I get a Slim3 dish and have less birds coming into the tuner would help

Before I'd go out and try a new dish/LNB, I'd play with what you have a bit more.
Now that you have a baseline of what you feel is "fast", the next thing I'd do is connect it back to your Slimline "BUT" not change the receiver's setup. It will use the same 101 LNB since dishes are backward compatible.
Is it just as fast, or does it slow down?

If as fast, then I'd change the setup, but not to the slimline, but the old phase III, which is 101, 110, 119.

Does it slow down, or stay as fast?

If it is still fast, then I'd change the setup for the Slimline.

Does it slow down, or?

This should give enough data to give an idea of what's going on here.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,341 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

And please post your results back if you would!

It occurred to me that part of the speed boost may have been due to the restart when you switched locations. Or do you reboot with some regularity?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,842 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

I think that the speed increase is due to :
1. This dish is not downloading all the HD channels and therefore has cut the total number of channels basically in half that it has to deal with. Making a Favorite list cuts out a lot of channels to manipulate and display also and it increases speed.

2. The graphics, the program etc. now are approximately one fourth of the HD stuff and this also cuts down on the data to manipulate and display.

I would not go back to SD for any reason, I love my HD pictures.
If you just have to have the fastest thing around, get an HD receiver and hook it to the same TV. Record and play back on the DVR and do your scanning / surfing the guide / watching and switching channels on the HD ( non DVR ). They are really fast. My son has an H21 and I can see a major difference between it and my 2 DVRs.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

I think that the speed increase is due to...

There could be several/many things, so running through the steps I posted might point to an area that causes it.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

There could be several/many things, so running through the steps I posted might point to an area that causes it.

I think you are right, and I also think that Jimmie's theories have enough merit to be considered, or at least the one about only having to index half the channels.

The first thing that came to my mind was that maybe since some of the sats are no longer there for a 5-lnb Slimline 5, that the DVR is wasting time trying to connect there, which impinges on other tasks. Kinda weak, I'll admit. It would seem that the OS could be up revved to ignore those ports when an old Slimline 5 is detected in setup or reboot.

We need more info to weed out the bad theories, but all of them are valid until proven invalid. I disagree that a light faves list will matter; the DVR still has a stock "All Channels" list permanently baked in, which needs to be indexed as well, regardless of what is in the faves. A faves list is really just an exception list: what fits both the category of a channel that is available and also fits the category of a channel I have chosen for the list. It needs to run that algorithm only once (when the list is built or modified), and then that is over.

Edited by TomCat, 10 December 2012 - 08:39 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#17 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

I think that the speed increase is due to :
1. This dish is not downloading all the HD channels and therefore has cut the total number of channels basically in half that it has to deal with. Making a Favorite list cuts out a lot of channels to manipulate and display also and it increases speed.
2. The graphics, the program etc. now are approximately one fourth of the HD stuff and this also cuts down on the data to manipulate and display.

I think this Post makes a lot of sense as to why the Speed has increased and I am going to cut down on unneeded channels in my Favorites List.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

I think this Post makes a lot of sense as to why the Speed has increased and I am going to cut down on unneeded channels in my Favorites List.

What might be happening is, by re-running the SAT setup for the 18" dish, the guide data is only being parsed for the SD channels. The guide data stream hasn't changed, but the receiver isn't storing as much of it to sort through to display in the guide.
If you play with changes for the guide, from a custom to all, or channels I get, the guide already has the data. If you change from hiding SD duplicates to show SD duplicates, it give a message it may take a few mins.

It would be interesting if the OP makes the changes I posted and posts what happens or doesn't happen.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...