Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad won't keep IP Address

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JDMAC

JDMAC

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Yes...there is a way to have a "reserved" IP, based on the setup in your router. The IP is assigned by your router only, not nomad.

Try logging into your router per its instructions...then search the router help for "mac addreses" and see how it maps those to devices for a reserved IP.

I changed the address of the Nomad to an address outside the DHCP range, but still on the same subnet. When i test the connectivity (ping it) 4/4 packets sent, 0/4 sent back... 100% loss. At least now with it having a "reserved" IP address I can see it in my connections list as a static connection and the status is "Active"... i just can't connect to it.

Hopefully engineering at DTV will be able to help. Little annoying that you can't speak directly to them, but the case "has been escalated". In instances like this, the added levels of customer service resemble Keynesian make-work programs.

Any chance there is a limit as to how many devices can be hooked up to this Actiontec router? CS rep asked the question.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

I changed the address of the Nomad to an address outside the DHCP range, but still on the same subnet. When i test the connectivity (ping it) 4/4 packets sent, 0/4 sent back... 100% loss. At least now with it having a "reserved" IP address I can see it in my connections list as a static connection and the status is "Active"... i just can't connect to it.

Hopefully engineering at DTV will be able to help. Little annoying that you can't speak directly to them, but the case "has been escalated". In instances like this, the added levels of customer service resemble Keynesian make-work programs.

Any chance there is a limit as to how many devices can be hooked up to this Actiontec router? CS rep asked the question.

Well it's good that you at least made some progress.

What I can tell you is that you are not the first FIOS Internet customer that has had an issue with networked devices - not just nomad. Their routers have settings specifically designed to address the needs of that service.

You might want to also speak to the FIOS folks about the router setup - let them know that all you are trying to do is:

1) Assign a reserved IP for a network device
2) Allow that device to have Internet access outside of any firewall

In reality, I know of a number of folks with nomad where the install was as close to plug-and-play as one might imagine. I'd be willing to bet that the FIOS support folks might be able to help you get past this issue with as much likelihood as the nomad support folks.

Let us know how this turns out and what resolved your issue. That kind of information always has the potential to help someone else some day.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#23 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Yes, keep us Posted as I am curious exactly what is causing your problem. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#24 OFFLINE   JDMAC

JDMAC

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

Well, I spoke to Verizon technical support and Actiontec technical support and went over the situation. They both seem to think after talking through it that is most likely a hardware issue.

The device has a reserved IP address and should work on the internal network. They also questioned why the Nomad if it was doing what I described it to do... take mp4 from a DVR and transcode it to be then transferred to a PC or an Ipad why opening ports would even come into play. As I understand it and both of them understand it, everything that the Nomad does happens on the internal network.

Am I wrong here, does the Nomad communicate with the DVRs outside of the LAN? Per HDTVfan it would seem that it does need access to the internet (WAN) outside of the firewall? Why would this be? Nomad only works to transfer show to a device when you are on that internal network (LAN) it seems. Please explain if anyone knows the answer.

Also, should have additional detail from DirecTV engineering hopefully tonight and will post when I find out anything more.

#25 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

It needs to be able to call back to DirecTV's servers to make sure you still have active DirecTV service, that the Nomad is on the same account as the receivers it sees, check that your devices are registered, etc.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#26 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

It needs to be able to call back to DirecTV's servers to make sure you still have active DirecTV service, that the Nomad is on the same account as the receivers it sees, check that your devices are registered, etc.

Indeed -spot on.

The router needs to allow nomad to "call out" on the Internet for User Account Authentication. That typically means no firewall or setting should block nomad from that communication.

Some folks use a DMZ setup to accomplish this - puts the device outside of your normal firewall, which is OK on known hardware and communications like nomad.

In my case, the router setup allowed for the pass-through of the IP to the Internet.

Hang in there..it sounds like you're really close to getting this done.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#27 OFFLINE   JDMAC

JDMAC

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

DirecTV is coming out Sunday to check the dish. It does appear that I have lower signals on the 101 than normal. I haven't had any issues with losing the picture or anything, but it does seem like at the very least dialing in the signal can't hurt after Sandy.

There is an error code corresponding with a weak signal coming up when I run the system check and even though that code in particular has not in the past interfered with Nomad functioning, DirecTV CM still advised that this could be the issue. They also said the tech will look at the nomad and she put in some request ab the tech being familiar with Nomad. I am not hopeful the tech will know anything about this, nor that this will fix it, but there is always a chance... worst case I get my dish dialed back in.

DTV has some terrific offerings, but given the trouble I had getting this to work when I first got it almost a year ago and the recent trouble and seeing countless threads all over the place about how poorly it functions I am about to ask them to take it back. I may stick an old series 2 tivo back in the mix somewhere just so i can use TIVOTOGO.

#28 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,229 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

I'm not sure how all this relates to nomad. . .

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#29 OFFLINE   JDMAC

JDMAC

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

I'm not sure how all this relates to nomad. . .

Well, "all of this" likely does not relate to the nomad, but when you put out a product that has limited and/or intermittent functionality, no documentation and more troubleshooting information about it on a web forum than what you can get from the manufacturer/seller then you get wild suggestions from support as to how to "fix it".

Apparently there are certain error codes that your DTV system can give off that keep the nomad from functioning properly; despite the error code that my system is putting out not being a documented problem for the nomad, it seems we are taking the sawed off approach and hoping this might do it.

I will let you all know if there is a resolution. Thank you again to those who have tried to help.

#30 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,229 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

Sometimes the CSRs and installers aren't the best at troubleshooting. . . there are tons of stories - a CSR requiring multiple reboots when the DVR won't power on. . . I had an installer that wanted to start changing splitters on the SWiM side when I had lost sats from one of the 4 coaxes.

Your IP problem is based in the router, your network or the nomad itself. Nomad knows nothing about the Sat delivery and as long as your dvrs are recording, nomad should see them and transcode any program (other than OTA and VOD) on the dvr.

I say 'should' . . . If you can't try a different router, I'd request a replacement before it gets near your warranty date.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

spam firewall